Author Topic: Extended Warranty  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Extended Warranty
« on: December 26, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
My Daughters Mazda 2 is coming up to 3 years old and will of course then be out of warranty. She asked me about the Mazda Extended Warranty so I had a look at what was and wasn't included.  The list of exclusions shocked me a bit. This is what I found on the Mazda site....

The following parts are not covered:

Battery
Exhaust systems, diesel particulate filters (DPF) – although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure only
Brake and clutch facings
Discs and drums
Bulbs and fuses, channels and guides
Weather strips and seals
Handles, hinges and check straps
Trim
Upholstery and cosmetic finishes
Bodywork
Paintwork
Wheels and tyres
Wiper blades and arms
Glass
Auxiliary drive belts
Coolant and fuel hoses
The cleaning or adjustment of any component
All service items which will require periodic replacement
Satellite Navigation

Now I am aware that the majority of those come under the heading of FW&T . But it makes me wonder what else Mazda would try to wriggle out of.

My car is well past the time when I would even consider an Extended Warranty ( that passed 13 years ago  ;D ;D)  But for a younger driver this doesn't offer much support. 

What do you think ?   
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 07:01:05 PM »
So the car then? ;D

It's actually a very similar exclusion list to the one for our Citroën Extended Warranty. What are they charging for the year? Citroen was 200 quid but we're probably more likely to need it given it's French. Also the Citroen has some big ticket items like a turbo and unlike Mazda satnav is included (just as well as the screen also controls the heating).

However the Citroën one also comes with MOT test cover that actually adds a lot of the wear and tear items back in, including wipers, brakes, suspension lighting etc so basically if you take it at MOT time and it fails on them it's covered.

Personally didn't feel the need on the Mazda the car felt like it would last and time has told given I had my first repair that would have been billable under warranty last month..only 6 years after the original warranty expired.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:24:57 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
Interesting that MOT inclusion. As you say that puts a lot of the above list back in the warranty applicable list.  Something to say thank you to Citroen for.

I never went for an extended warranty on my 3 which is still a daily workhorse and has been since 2004.  Sure it's had some bodywork done, as do a lot of ladies wanting to keep their looks in older age. But nothing that needed serious "warranty" like attention.  125,000 miles later she's still going strong. A compliment to how Mazdas were built back then. 

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 08:44:03 PM »
I was thinking perhaps the Mazda one includes MOT cover? It's in a separate section of the docs on the Citroën paperwork.

The warranty itself seems a bit mean, the Citroën one is similar in that respect but on ours as well that list you've posted above (well most of it some things are covered by Citroën Mazda doesn't cover) there's another list for the MOT cover adding the stuff back in up to a value of 750 quid and 1 claim a year.

If it does that possibly worth having...although I'd not expect any issues from a such a young Mazda except Satnav issues which are specifically excluded.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:45:39 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »
I did a fictitious application for a quote and got a price as follows

Extended Warranty including Roadside Assistance  £325.63   
Extended Warranty only   £295.32   ----   (My daughter has full RAC cover already via her bank account)

I also downloaded the pdf file detailing the whole list and the definitions relating to failure of the items excluded --31 pages 
Absolutely nothing regarding MOT inclusion. So that's  Citroen 1 Mazda 0    However Mazda do offer a specific amount to cover a replacement vehicle. And a specific amount to cover overnight accommodation. I don't know if Citroen do the same.

One sneaky line says "Any Damage or failure to the vehicle, caused by the failure of an excluded component."  So that covers a multitude of sins and just about exempts Mazda from all responsibility.

All in all reading through 31 pages of all the legalities and sub clauses    i.e.  if this then not that etc     and what is excluded, it really doesn't seem to be worth the cost. Especially as you say on such a young car that has not missed a step in 3 years. 

Disappointed with the Mazda approach.   

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 11:57:32 PM »
Both a hire car and overnight accommodation are included in Citroën documents (assume that's what you mean rather than they supply you with a new car if they can't fix it) so nothing other manufacturers don't do.

At 100 quid more for a similar vehicle at a similar age in a similar class (Our C3 is a 67 plate with 13k on it) it seems to be rather poor value.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »
My Daughters Mazda 2 is coming up to 3 years old and will of course then be out of warranty. She asked me about the Mazda Extended Warranty so I had a look at what was and wasn't included.  The list of exclusions shocked me a bit. This is what I found on the Mazda site....

The following parts are not covered:

Battery
Exhaust systems, diesel particulate filters (DPF) – although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure only
Brake and clutch facings
Discs and drums
Bulbs and fuses, channels and guides
Weather strips and seals
Handles, hinges and check straps
Trim
Upholstery and cosmetic finishes
Bodywork
Paintwork
Wheels and tyres
Wiper blades and arms
Glass
Auxiliary drive belts
Coolant and fuel hoses
The cleaning or adjustment of any component
All service items which will require periodic replacement
Satellite Navigation

Now I am aware that the majority of those come under the heading of FW&T . But it makes me wonder what else Mazda would try to wriggle out of.

My car is well past the time when I would even consider an Extended Warranty ( that passed 13 years ago  ;D ;D)  But for a younger driver this doesn't offer much support. 

What do you think ?

I think it would've been easier (and quicker) for Mazda just to include what their policy actually covered - which to me is essentially 'the engine', and I bet they have a clause that states to be valid, the car has to be serviced exclusively at a main dealer as per the manufacturer's schedule, not the dealer's major/minor service plan.

Personally I'd not bother unless it's a diesel, and even then only if it's absolutely cruicial to have a car available all the time, i.e. if a failure occurs that is covered, the dealer must provide a courtesy car immediately every time.  I suspect they won't guarantee that.  I'd rather have a decent breakdown policy, as that will cover many common repairable failures and will have the added benefit of being available on Sundays and Bank Holidays, whereas dealership repair services are obviously not.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »