Author Topic: What is Cruise and Traffic Support (CTS) on latest Mazda 3?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline kiran_mk2

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
What is Cruise and Traffic Support (CTS) on latest Mazda 3?
« on: December 21, 2020, 10:19:25 PM »
I'm likely to get a Skyactiv-X Mazda 3 early next year and am trying to decide whether I should get the top end GT Sport Tech model. The main extra feature is CTS (Cruise and Traffic Support) which I initiallt though was an autosteer/lane-keep assist technology (going with the adaptive cruise control that is on all trims). However, I've just found out that all the trims include lane-keep assist so can anyone explain what CTS is and how it differs from adaptive cruise control and lane-keep assist? I think at the moment this feature is only present on the 3, CX-30 and MX-30.

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Machine Grey (46G)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2020
Re: What is Cruise and Traffic Support (CTS) on latest Mazda 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
Have it on my CX-30 GT Sport Tech think the main difference is it helps steering as against warning by vibration of the steering wheel.  I think the sports tech also gives cross traffic warning when waiting at junctions or reversing out of parking places. Link should go to the CX-30 manual or CTS
Still learning about all the bells and whistles on mine

Hope this helps

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-30/cx-30_8hq1ee19i/contents/05283700.html?kw=Cts&hw=Cts
Made it to retirement  :) now can’t go anywhere well I used to be able to 😡

Offline kiran_mk2

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
Thanks for the link. I've seen the full Mazda 3 manual and now this but am still non the wiser as to how this differs from adaptive cruise + lane-keep assist. I think the problem is that the manuals have been translated in a very 'functional' way from the Japanese original - and the translator probably didn't know what CTS does either! I had the same fun trying to understand my MX5 manual.

I tried asking a salesman from the local Mazda dealership but he clearly didn't know and tried to blag that CTS involved cylinder deactivation for fuel economy! There is a Mazda Guru video in YouTube that covers it but they don't go into too much detail either... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzEcvXsDwg&t=15s

The front cross-traffic sensors, 360 degree camera and rear emergency braking are nice features but not must haves for me. However, at the moment the GT Sport Tech ex-demo models are about the same cost as the GT Sport so I may just end up going for the higher spec anyway.

Offline kiran_mk2

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:44:30 PM »
I've been digging into this some more. My best guess is as follows:
Most Mazda 3 trim levels have adaptive cruise control and lane-keep assist (LAS) which will maintain your speed or distance from the car in front (down to stationary for the automatics) and keep you in lane. From reading around, the lane-keep assist portion will only work at speeds above 60 KPH (~40 MPH).
Cruise and Traffic Support (CTS) is only available on the GT Sport Tech trim and seems to perform exactly the same task - using adaptive cruise control to maintain speed/distance and LAS to keep you in lane - but this time at speeds <60 KPH (~40 MPH).

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:44:30 PM »