Author Topic: 3 Months In  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Memphis

• Takara Class
3 Months In
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »
I'm 3 months and 2600 miles into owning my 3...and its still an absolute pleasure to drive, I look forward to getting in, even if its just a short trip :)

Surprised by the fact that all the bad points I'd read about, i.e. rough ride, road noise and poor looks amongst others, are a load of rubbish tbh, especially the looks, I love it. Majority of work colleages have commented on it too :)

Only downside is slight corrosion on 3 of 4 alloys, which is quite common looking around the forum. Mate of a mate co-owns a body shop, and says he'll refurb them for 25 squid a wheel, so not too bad.

Been looking around various sites, and threads on here, and will start modding I think, just little things to start with, then we'll see what happens :)

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
Re: 3 Months In
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:19:33 PM »
Had mine since April and done 4k, love every minute of it.
Just back from Rhodes; we hired 2 Nissan Notes (   ::) ::) ::)   ) they were either c...p or thrashed. Only went at one speed at all revs and all gears   ;D  wallowy suspension and no guts to engine. When I asked about speed limit Greek bloke said don't worry no one else does  :o :o

Nice place though we all got burned; did Paracending/ Jet Ski/ Banana boat/ Snorkelling/ Carting all in one day and now knacked.
Sat in jacuzi with phone in pocket  ;D >:( >:(
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline metalmorgan

• Sports Class
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:12:05 AM »
Only downside is slight corrosion on 3 of 4 alloys, which is quite common looking around the forum. Mate of a mate co-owns a body shop, and says he'll refurb them for 25 squid a wheel, so not too bad.

Push for them to be done under warranty before you go spending your money.
I'm back

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Smart roadster brabus
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
If the car is still in warranty then they will do thwem no questions asked as this is recognised as a problem. Quite often they simply replace the wheels.

I have had my MPS aero since January and i cant praise it enough! My folks have 2 mazdas and that is waht started me looking at them. Still think the mazda brand is a hidden gem.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
If the car is still in warranty then they will do thwem no questions asked as this is recognised as a problem. Quite often they simply replace the wheels.

I have had my MPS aero since January and i cant praise it enough! My folks have 2 mazdas and that is waht started me looking at them. Still think the mazda brand is a hidden gem.

To avoid hassle; it may be worth trying to isolate the alloy from the car by either using paint on the hub or copper slip on the contact point ?
One problem is that this may delay the onset of the corrosion until after the warranty runs out ?

Edith Sitwell

Offline Memphis

• Takara Class
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Its out of warranty anyway, so can't go that route.

I'm not too worried about 100 quid though, just don't want a nice, clean, shiny car being spoiled by corroded alloys  :-\

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:38 AM »
To avoid hassle; it may be worth trying to isolate the alloy from the car by either using paint on the hub or copper slip on the contact point ?
One problem is that this may delay the onset of the corrosion until after the warranty runs out ?

I'm confused. Do the wheels corrode on the face or where they meet the hub?
Just so I know where to keep an eye on...

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
The wheels "normally" corrode at the centre around the removeable cap that has the logo on it. However they have been known to have corroded on the spokes.
The suggestion from BJ is valid because the corrosion is caused by the chemical reaction between the steel hubs and the alloy wheels. The copper paste forms a barrier.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that. I'll keep an eye on them... ::)

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
The wheels "normally" corrode at the centre around the removeable cap that has the logo on it. However they have been known to have corroded on the spokes.
The suggestion from BJ is valid because the corrosion is caused by the chemical reaction between the steel hubs and the alloy wheels. The copper paste forms a barrier.

I am a little rusty (  ;D ) but I think it is the electrical potential between the two metals that causes the metal to react with oxygen in the air and the corrosion is an oxide as a result, but I may be wrong ( 35 years fries the brain   :(  )

Edith Sitwell

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »
Memphis, got a work trip tomorrow for a couple fo days. About 300 miles and I normally take a hire car to save the miles on my car as I do it quite often. But I thought bugger it this time, I get £100 petrol money and I'd rather drive my 3 than a honda sh!tvic for a change. That's after 2 years and only a basic model. Always enjoyable to drive  :)

Had mine since April and done 4k, love every minute of it.
Just back from Rhodes; we hired 2 Nissan Notes (   ::) ::) ::)   ) they were either c...p or thrashed. Only went at one speed at all revs and all gears   ;D  wallowy suspension and no guts to engine. When I asked about speed limit Greek bloke said don't worry no one else does  :o :o

Nice place though we all got burned; did Paracending/ Jet Ski/ Banana boat/ Snorkelling/ Carting all in one day and now knacked.
Sat in jacuzi with phone in pocket  ;D >:( >:(
Been driving in Crete for 3 or 4 years now. No idea on speed limits, road sign or anything but neither do the locals  ;D Recently been driving a 1.0L polo and a 1.3 Daewoo Lanos recently so I'm glad to get back to the awesome 105hp of my 3.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »