Author Topic: Help on buying a Mazda 3!  (Read 3585 times)

Offline A7R

• S Class
Help on buying a Mazda 3!
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »
Hi People,

I am on the verge of buying a Mazda from my dads mate. Please could you help as i dont know anything about it!
Its a Mazda 1.6 Ts2 Petrol 2005 Hatchback.. He wants £6250 for it.... and it has 20k on the clock..

If i am honest i have been tempted with others, as people are putting me off buy saying Mazda cars are unreliable and the parts are too expensive.. However, i am pleased to read reviews on the net especially from Which.co.uk and you guys that Mazda's are decent cars...

Can you help? and is it worth it?? for how much i am gonna be paying..

Many thanks all!

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Smart roadster brabus
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
Re: Help on buying a Mazda 3!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »
not sure if it is good value mate. Check autotrader. As for reliability, japanese cars are the most reliable on the market! Recent review shows mazdas are the most reliable cars on the market today. Theya re also good to repair, service. My skoda fabia cost more to service than my MPS aero.

You wont regret getting a mazda mate.

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:46:27 PM »
Welcome  :)

As stu says, Autotrader will give you the best idea of a fair price - looking round you can get a dealer/car supermarket cars for that sort of price. A few more miles but you'd be able to knock some off those sticker prices.

As for the unreliability, the 3 came 4th in its class in the recent Which? survey - highly recommended from what I recall. Any car can be troublesome but if you buy from a trade rather than private you'll get a bit more peace of mind for a few months.

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

All cars have problems. IMO Japanese cars have the least problems.

Servicing is quite cheap. To compare my 2.0 Sport is cheaper to service than our Honda Jazz 1.4! The 3 is a good buy as its got he Focus chassis so its got both a comfy ride and sharp cornering. The kit level is great on the TS2 and its not that common (though seems like the number of 3's on the road are going up!).

A common issue to look out for is corroding wheels, but that's it!

Agree with Diaking and Stu check out Autotrader for prices, they should be just a fraction about a Focus.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline Merv

• Takara Class
  • Swapped the nasty diesel for a Nissan petrol.
    • Association of British Drivers
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:31:02 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

You could try cruising past the forecourt of your local Mazda dealership to see what the trade are asking for cars of a similar age. I got told that my 54 plate TS2 is worth between £4500 and £5500 as a trade in against a similarly sized and spec-ed car by a.n. other far eastern manufacturer, and its a low miles minter. This is bearing in mind that our fantastic government has decided that it falls into one of the "most polluting" VED bands (along with the RX8, the mini cooper S etc) and as such will be costing me £450 pa to tax in 2009 if I decide to keep it.

"Calm down dear, its only a Nissan"

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Smart roadster brabus
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:52:03 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!

You could try cruising past the forecourt of your local Mazda dealership to see what the trade are asking for cars of a similar age. I got told that my 54 plate TS2 is worth between £4500 and £5500 as a trade in against a similarly sized and spec-ed car by a.n. other far eastern manufacturer, and its a low miles minter. This is bearing in mind that our fantastic government has decided that it falls into one of the "most polluting" VED bands (along with the RX8, the mini cooper S etc) and as such will be costing me £450 pa to tax in 2009 if I decide to keep it.

Only thing i would say about garage forcourt prices is they are higher than the private market and IMO dont represent a true market value of a car if you were to sell it your self. Garages are known to hike prices so piston heads, autotrader and other private seller prices are the best benchmark on value.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

Only thing i would say about garage forcourt prices is they are higher than the private market and IMO dont represent a true market value of a car if you were to sell it your self. Garages are known to hike prices so piston heads, autotrader and other private seller prices are the best benchmark on value.

True; however it is also a good way of keeping a handle on the price range as they tend to sell on good prices but retain bad prices. Need to take into account that they will haggle as well.
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »