Author Topic: Mazda2 TS2 1.3 High fuel consumption  (Read 14546 times)

Offline Snafu

• S Class
Mazda2 TS2 1.3 High fuel consumption
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
Hi there,

I thought I'd share some feedback after owning it for 3 weeks. The car is a Mazda2 TS2 1.3 Petrol(black).

After refueling it three times and measuring the miles done I have noticed that it does pretty much exactly 35 miles to the gallon. The majority of the travel I do is between work and home which is basically 5 minutes of small roads from cold (and waiting at traffic lights) then another 3 minutes on the Coast Road in Newcastle doing 50-70 mph then another 5-10 minutes through small roads, roundabouts and traffic lights. I've been running it quite normal, a bit on the sensitive side, escecially since I noticed the consumption was so high. By comparisson my former Fiat punto 8v 1.2 litre did 37mpg. I was hoping this car would do better than that.

Official fuel consumption figures are:

Urban 40.9
Extra urban 61.4
Combined 52.3

So, doing this fairly urban route (with some higher speeds) it's giving me 35mpg. I was hoping for a lot better fuel economy to be honest. I've done 450 miles or so in total.

1. Is this what I can expect in winter times?
2. Does the consumption go down the more miles I do (running in enginge etc)?
3. If running in the engine is the issue here, at what mileage can I expect to see a better consumption?
4. Would it be silly of me to expect it do be in the 40s compared to 35?

No one might be able to actually answer this but I thought I'd share my thoughts. I dropped it off today at the Mazda dealership to have it looked at. I dont know, maybe that was silly especially judging by the pretty crap impression I got of the service department at Hodgons in Newcastle. Evil eyes whatnot from service people.

Apart from the fuel consumption is a pretty good car. It does alright in city traffic and handled nice doing 90 mph on the A1. I already got a few scratches on the black paint and how the hell that happened I dont know. I guess black always shows scratches more easily.

Space is nice. The gearshift took getting used to but I'm pretty happy with it.

kind regards,

Matt

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
Re: Mazda2 TS2 1.3 High fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »
Matt,

I think its not bad for the new-ness of the car.

I've only had the pleasure of running one car from new. The MPG was quite poor till about 4-5K. I'm not sure what the running in advice is for the 2. The engine, wheel bearing, gearbox will be very tight from new.

As for black paint, scratches to the clear coat show up more more easily. Most scratches are caused by washing, I'd advice buying a high quality mitt and using the 2 bucket wash method. Avoid at all costs car washes or jet washes with those brooms.

Keep a close eye on the oil level too, some cars tend to burn more oil until the piston rings bed in.

Post up some pics too!!

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline Yokel

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »
Hi 'Snafu'

I am considering a Mazda2 TS2, but like you I would have thought that the fuel economy would have been better than 35 mpg., even though you are still running it in.

Acording to the published articles the model is quite noisy at 70mph, do you find this so ?

Apart from that have you any other concerns ?

Offline Snafu

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »
Hi 'Snafu'

I am considering a Mazda2 TS2, but like you I would have thought that the fuel economy would have been better than 35 mpg., even though you are still running it in.

Acording to the published articles the model is quite noisy at 70mph, do you find this so ?

Apart from that have you any other concerns ?

Hi,

Sorry completely missed your post, now a month later I shall attempt to answer it!

To be perfectly honest, I've not driven loads of new cars in my life, usually only older bangers, but I wouldn't say it's noisey. It depends what you compare it with I guess. It's definitely less noisey than my old W-reg Fiat Punto! Doubt it's quieter than a large Volvo/Audi/BMW or Golf etc.

The MPG is still really crap on the car. I'm between 35 and 37 MPG depending on how much pure city driving I do. Reading other discussion boards on MPG it seems even the flipping Mazda2 Sports 1.5 cars get higher MPG than me, and I've only got the Ts2. Other Ts2s seem to get better fuel economy as well. Either I am an utterly crap driver, or something is not perfect with the car. I thought I heard what sounded like either the brakes being on on the back wheels, or it's just unusually tight wheelbearings etc etc.

Im giving it 1500 miles, which is another 500 miles or so, then taking it back to the garage to look at the brakes unless I can check it myself with a jack etc.

I dont have any other concerns, I wanted a small cheap car basically due to crap salary and crap parking spaces on the street  ;D

Offline stbr

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »
I'm sure this is probably a bit late, and probably won't help :S But I have a Fiat punto 8v 1.2 and get about 47-52mpg depending on how much city driving is included.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »