Author Topic: 1.6 Turbo Diesel - Alternative Oil Catch Can Project  (Read 4159 times)

Offline ukzmisr

• TS2 Class
1.6 Turbo Diesel - Alternative Oil Catch Can Project
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
Following on from “The Bun Yip” post here http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=7984.0

This is my write up for fitting the Provent 100 Oil Catch Can. After having exchanged many an email with the The Bun Yip on how to stop the problem of the MAF getting coated in oil and prevent oil getting to the inlet of the turbo, I decided to pursue this problem with Mazda UK. Mazda UK Tech Support appear to know about this problem and come up with their version of fitting an Oil Catch Can or Oil Separator as Mazda like to call it.

I had Mazda fit the Oil Catch Can, it kind of worked. But I still found oil in the Air Hose and inlet to the turbo. Not really happy about this I decided to fit an Oil Catch Can that many people on the VW TDI forum had been using, the MANN+HUMMEL ProVent filter,

The following information is the way I fitted it. The diagram is included as a guide, the dimensions are approximate.

This is the fitting plate I made up. I made the part that the filter fitted to adjustable since I could not figure out how high or low the filter should be fitted in the engine.  

I used Splined Rivot Nuts to fit the filter to the plate and to the bulk head.

Due to the length of the plate and movement, I decided to add an extra Z shaped bracket see photographs. Then sprayed the plate to match the bulk head.

Filter fitted to the plate. The top part of the Z shaped support was secured using a stud already in the bulk head.

I removed the black bulk head plate from the engine to fit the Splined Rivot Nuts

Filter fitted to the car and piping connected up. Prior to spraying. Taken to for clarity. I wanted to keep the inner diameter to match the diameter of the hose coming from the CAM cover. The was approximately 22mm. So I used 22mm copper pipe and elbows. Finding hosing was the most difficult part. Since at the filter end I required an inner diameter of 19mm. At the CAM cover end I required 22mm.The hose I chose is Green Aquarium Hose. I also wanted something clear to monitor how much oil, if any, would come out the filter. I will see if the hose stands up to the oil vapour and heat. Tests carried out for the suitability of the hose prior to fitting were positive.

I had to place some form behind the bracket to stop it from knocking on the metal brake pipes.

Photograph after everything was sprayed.

MANN+HUMMEL ProVent 100 filter purchased from www.filterserve.com.

Splined Rivot Nuts purchased from here. http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=2438003043

You will also need a Captive Nut Plier if you decide to use the Rivot Nut like this one
http://www.toptoolshop.com/product605522_3585818.aspx

Hose purchase from Swell UK Ltd

Time taken from researching the problem, to deciding what filter to fit, to purchasing the parts and then fitting to the car a very approximate 6-7 months. :-\

Feel free to PM or email me with any questions  :-X
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:15:31 PM by Willpower »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: 1.6 Turbo Diesel - Alternative Oil Catch Can Project
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
Excellent write up.
Sticiked and as with Bun Yip's version, I have locked this thread to prevent off topic contamination.

If anyone wishes to discuss this topic, or ask any questions then please start a new thread or contact  ukzmisr direct.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

Re: 1.6 Turbo Diesel - Alternative Oil Catch Can Project
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »