Author Topic: SAMMYS NEW CAR!  (Read 49772 times)

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Re: SAMMYS NEW CAR!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »
"allows a bit more dirt into your engine bay" Don't you mean a lot more?

Why not go the whole hog and fit a water tank, you've already got the scoop. Then you could use it for putting out grass fires - bit like Buffalo Airways' CL215s.

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
  • Colour: Meteor Grey Mica (42A)
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 03:25:07 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scoop UNDER the car is made of plastic, yes? And it's rubbing up against METAL, correct?

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want metal and plastic touching, especially if the metal gets hot and melts the plastic.

Not sure that's an ideal place to put the scoop Sam. There's a reason you don't see car companies placing that kind of item in that spot.

Sam, I would be very worried about starting a fire under your car. Your car will certainly then go kaBOOM!
Do American cows not Moo? Or perhaps Moo with an american accent, Moo haa, yippidy ding dang moo etc

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
Good out of the box thinking, until you try to go through the ford in your avatar.
I also think you might have a problem when we have our usual English weather. Travelling at speed on wet roads your "intake" is just going to love shoving water into your engine compartment. Not sure you will though.

thats why ive left about a 5cm gap between the top of the air pipe and the filter, i followed the instructions off of the k&n website so it should be okay,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scoop UNDER the car is made of plastic, yes? And it's rubbing up against METAL, correct?

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want metal and plastic touching, especially if the metal gets hot and melts the plastic.

Not sure that's an ideal place to put the scoop Sam. There's a reason you don't see car companies placing that kind of item in that spot.

like i said to willpower i just followed the instructions on the k&n website, they have had them fitted and tested on cars and had no problem so im sure mine should be okay.

also where is it rubbing up against metal? its connected on the bumper and the under tray, both are plastic?
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
heres a link to k&n fitting instructions just incase any one wanted to see them.

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-0348_inst.pdf
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
like i said to willpower i just followed the instructions on the k&n website, they have had them fitted and tested on cars and had no problem so im sure mine should be okay.

According to the link you provided from K&N, their filter sits directly under the front of the bumper, before the front wheels. From the photos you posted, the scoop sits much further back under the car, behind the front wheels (from what I can tell based off your photos).

Your photo:

Their photo:

also where is it rubbing up against metal? its connected on the bumper and the under tray, both are plastic?

That part of the car looked like metal to me. Again, I'm basing this off the photos YOU posted. Usually items I've seen placed that far back under a car is usually wrapped with some form of insulation to protect it, which I don't see on your car.
Do American cows not Moo? Or perhaps Moo with an american accent, Moo haa, yippidy ding dang moo etc

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
ahh no my scoop is straght under the front bumper, if you look at the last picture i posted of it in a diffrent post you should be able to see it a bit better, it just looks diffrent becuase for some reason my kit has a diffrent scoop on it to the one in the photos given by k&n

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
I'm still not sold you installed it properly. Why not take another photo showing it's directly under the front bumper? Take it from the front of the car or something.

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
okay i will upload a picture later and then you will see exactly where it is, but trust me its installed correctly, ive seen this same kit fitted on several mx5's that come into work and ive fitted it the exact same as its fitted and them, you can only put it in the one place really becuase of the hole in the undertray..

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
here you are, it sits 1.5cm from the front of the bumper, it couldnt go any further forwards becuase of the mounting brackett that comes with the kit that secures the scoop to the inside of the bumper..

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Well lets hope it gets you through the winter storms.

Oh  and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Duc de Pommfrit

• Ultimate Class
  • Forum shopkeeper
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Could it hoover up rabbit?   

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
Will it catch on speed bumps Sam and is it an off the shelf part from K&N I have never seen oneof those before.
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »
Will it catch on speed bumps Sam and is it an off the shelf part from K&N I have never seen oneof those before.

+1 most people put these intakes through the front grille not under the car.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
Ive just fitted it where k&n say to fit it, pipercross do the same for their mx5 mk1 kit comes from the same place, and no it doesn't catch the speed bumps i took it around my village today over the biggest bumps i know of and it was fine, i may need to move it once the car has been lowered though...

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:13 PM »
Our MX5 was an import with Billsten shocks, roll bar ect and handled like a dream in the dry, it would have been a hard ride if it was lowered, do you think its wise to make the ride lower?
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:13 PM »