Author Topic: 3 Facelift??  (Read 19415 times)

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Re: 3 Facelift??
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 05:10:56 AM »
I was travelling to a 24hr Supermarket recently. When I pulled into the car park and parked up, I was approached by a Police officer who informed me that I should not be driving with the foglights on unless there was fog and that when I started off again I was to ensure that they were switched off. Knowing that they usually park and wait on a nearby roundabout I obviously obliged.  
So just to put this into perspective, it is illegal to drive with foglights on unless the weather warrants it. Now this is purely arbitrary and down to the discretion of the driver. However it's also down to the discretion of the Police officer who stops you. So be warned.

I got pulled over this a few months ago... the copper let me off though.

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 05:14:52 AM »
Whilst I would not not expect unbiased information from a commercial organisation Osram has some interesting things to say about DRLs here.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Professionals/Automotive_Lighting/See_and_be_seen/Daytime_running_lights/index.html

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Professionals/Automotive_Lighting/See_and_be_seen/Daytime_running_lights/Why_should_I_use_light_at_day/index.html

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Professionals/Automotive_Lighting/See_and_be_seen/Daytime_running_lights/Legal_requirements/index.html

I will be happy to fit some suitable LED DRLs to my 1st Gen in due course.

I like the first linke, but my only concern is that not all the DRL's I've seen are that bright and as such are harder to see....

those ones are good though...... led's look better.

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 05:34:53 AM »

Do you know that where I live (Aberdeenshire) is further north than most of the inhabited parts of Canada, 800 miles further north than Toronto and only 120 miles south of Oslo and Stockholm?  Grab a globe and have a look, the UK is quite far north as far as inhabited places go.

So they'd be good for the parts of the Uk that are furthest north, but less effective in the majority of the UK? Less effective is unfair, perhaps less prominent?

Quote from: 185sport

I have no way to relate it to extra fuel consumption, but DRL's will run at about 5W max load.  This is less than a radio and is very small related to the normal running load of a car.  Any extra fuel used will be infinitesimally small. Given that they will be fitted to newer vehicles which are more efficient than the vehicles they replace the net result will be that DRL's won't increase fuel usage across the nations vehicles.

It will be a small amount of fuel on an individual basis... however, my point is that the country (or europe) as a whole will burn significantly more fuel due to all the DRL's on cars.

No doubt compared to todays economy figures there will be no loss.... however it will still have a negative effect on the economy of newer cars; I'm not sure it's fair to use todays cars as a benchmark for measuring tomorrows cars....

I'm not saying that DRL's will impact drivers on an individual basis, merely that we (as a country or even the EU) will burn significantly more fuel on an annual basis than we would if we didn't use them.

AFAIK the human eye has evolved to be sensitive to movement (to spot potential predators on the plains of Africa).  If the other vehicle is heading straight towards (or away) then judging the rate of closure is an acquired skill rather than a natural ability.  A similar issue occurs when vehicles are approaching at right angles to each other, if both a moving at a similar speed then there is very little relative movement between them and the eye doesn't tend to pick the other vehicle up.

How will some DRL's help someone judge that rate of closure though? 
What you are saying with regards to closure is more relevant at higher speeds... two eurofighter travelling at 500 knots towards each other....

It's not quite the same as ned in his corsa (30mph) driving towards billy (03mph) the schoolboy... a bit easier to judge
DRL's are (apparently) there to make a car more obvious, not to help people judge it's speed.

I'm not saying that DRL's don't make cars more visible; lights on is better than lights off. I just don't buy the idea that someone can't see a car without them on and make a judgement as to whether they'll get run over if they step out.

I will concede that if you don't look properly before crossing the road, DRL's could help you see a car easier peripherally...
However, a better was to solve this would be to change pedestrian' attitudes and behavior  towards crossing the road - not an enviable task.

One thing that always annoys me is people who just walk out at zebra crossings, especially at night..... do you want to be ran over?

Right I'm off to have my hunter skill flex at the local zoo...
apologies for the late reply BTW :)

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »
It will be a small amount of fuel on an individual basis... however, my point is that the country (or europe) as a whole will burn significantly more fuel due to all the DRL's on cars.

This is the bit that I have an issue with, any extra fuel used will be insignificant when set against the total amount of fuel used, and as economy on newer cars with DRL will (generally) be better than the car they replace then it really won't matter.
2010 2.2d[185] Sport Hatchback in Black Mica

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »

This is the bit that I have an issue with, any extra fuel used will be insignificant when set against the total amount of fuel used

In relation to the total amount of fuel used by the country it will be, but as a stand alone qunatity of fuel it will be a huge amount. Everything is relatively small to something, but we aren;t talking about relativity.

and as economy on newer cars with DRL will (generally) be better than the car they replace then it really won't matter.

Yeah, I know this. However, just because it will still be better than the car it replaces, doesn't mean that the extra fuel burnt wont matter.

Oil is a finite resource, so we should do everything we can to preserve it. Sure cars can run on electricity and horse piss, but could we fuel a eurofighter or jumbo jet on it?

Aircraft are more becoming more economical, but there's still lots to be done.

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
I'm just picking on the argument against use of DRL because of the "extra" fuel used.  Yes, if it's all added up it may be a few tanker loads per year, but the same amount could be saved by turning off all car radios, and no-one is suggesting that's worthwhile.

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
I'm just picking on the argument against use of DRL because of the "extra" fuel used.  Yes, if it's all added up it may be a few tanker loads per year, but the same amount could be saved by turning off all car radios, and no-one is suggesting that's worthwhile.

Yeah, but drivers have a choice as to whether they want to use the radio; they don't with the lights.

If we were to go down that route, why don't we take out heated seats and only have the aircon for demisting?

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »
We'll just have to disagree whether the minute amount of extra fuel used is a reason for not installing DRL's. ;D

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »
We'll just have to disagree whether the minute amount of extra fuel used is a reason for not installing DRL's. ;D
aha indeed ...

I don't think it's a fair reason for not having them, as I'll want them if they look cool  O0

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »