Author Topic: Mazda and Ford  (Read 19506 times)

Offline Metric

• TS Class
Mazda and Ford
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »
"Autocar" 1st December, page 19, reports that Ford have reduced their stake in Mazda from 11% to 3.5% and pose the question as to whether Mazda will look for a new models development partner or go it alone. If they could afford to, going it alone might produce the best results, but the trend is for car companies to work together, as with the latest Mercedes, Renault, Nissan deal on engines.

Could be interesting.

Offline Mindis

• Ultimate Class
Re: Mazda and Ford
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »
Would be nice to have some Mercedes engines.

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
this happened a while ago, ford sold the 7.5% back to us, so they could make some money as they needed it!
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline Heffers

• Takara Class
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »
i agree could be interesting, but i don't think we need to worry about engine changes as they have just designed a new lot called "skyactive" that are supposed to be alot more economic and more torquey that are supposed to be connected to some new gearboxes as well.

a few sources:
ELife
MB.com

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »
yep i dont know how they have done it but the new sky engines have the highest compression of any petrol engine and the lowest compression of any deisel engine
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »
yep i dont know how they have done it but the new sky engines have the highest compression of any petrol engine and the lowest compression of any deisel engine

Its not much of a big deal on a diesel, but its a bigger deal on a petrol to get pre-ignition.

Top tip for you, you'd learn a lot about compression by using and taking apart a nitro model car.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »
Top tip for you, you'd learn a lot about compression by using and taking apart a nitro model car.

I believe the clever bit is putting it back together without any bits left over and it actually working again. ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:58:03 AM by 185sport »
2010 2.2d[185] Sport Hatchback in Black Mica

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »

I believe the clever bit is putting it back together without any bits left over and it actually working again. ;D

Yeah LOL...

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline K13 RFF

• Sports Class
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »
woooo wooooo no more Ford rubbish in the mazdas :) :) hehe
07 plate sport, mods on the way

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
woooo wooooo no more Ford rubbish in the mazdas :) :) hehe

Oh ok then, you'll be wanting some cr@ppy torsion beam rear end then  ;) Ford Europe has lead the way in chassis development in hatchbacks and forced everyone else to raise their game.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
but lets face it mazda have taken the basic idea and improved on it, the new 3's are so much better to drive than the focus!

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
but lets face it mazda have taken the basic idea and improved on it, the new 3's are so much better to drive than the focus!

By improve it you mean use the Ford Focus platform whole-sale ?? 'Cos that's what it is underneath a Ford C1 platform. How a car corners is all about the rear suspension. Ford's cheap and effective control blade suspension gives similar level of control to premium sector cars at a fraction of the cost. If you have a torsion beam you either have a Golf MK IV floppy around corners... or a 306 great around corners but with a ride to shake your fillings out. With the control blade you can have the best of both.

Where Mazda have improved it in the oily bits, no question.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
The sky engines are great and all, but there are alreadys golfs out that equal the mileage of the sky engines, in the new year the new focus will too...

by the time mazda bring out the sky engines, they will be 2-3 years behind everyone else.

I'm really starting to wish I'd went for a more economical car... I love the way the mazda looks, but when I can't afford the fuel it's gonna be as much use as an underwater hairdryer.

I have a 1.6 engine and I'm at 30mpg...

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »
The sky engines are great and all, but there are alreadys golfs out that equal the mileage of the sky engines, in the new year the new focus will too...

by the time mazda bring out the sky engines, they will be 2-3 years behind everyone else.

I'm really starting to wish I'd went for a more economical car... I love the way the mazda looks, but when I can't afford the fuel it's gonna be as much use as an underwater hairdryer.

I had a loan 1.6 and was really poor on MPG, seemed not far off my 2.0  ??? That said it was a hire car, so who knows how it was driven. Perhaps its worth upgrading the air filter

The 2.0 in the current 3 Sport looks to really has increased the MPG. I avoided the Golf 1.4 tsi as all VW petrol engines need high octane (low sulphur) fuel - any saving in MPG you spend on fuel.

I've read Honda are developing turbo units.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »

I had a loan 1.6 and was really poor on MPG, seemed not far off my 2.0  ??? That said it was a hire car, so who knows how it was driven. Perhaps its worth upgrading the air filter

The 2.0 in the current 3 Sport looks to really has increased the MPG. I avoided the Golf 1.4 tsi as all VW petrol engines need high octane (low sulphur) fuel - any saving in MPG you spend on fuel.

I've read Honda are developing turbo units.

Yeah, even if I drive like a saint I'm only getting 31mpg... 4000 miles on the clock now, so should be seeing a gradual increase.

I've heard people in the mps getting 33mpg with mixed driving...

That's interesting, we werte either gonna get the 1.4tsi golf match, astra 1.4 turbo or the mazda...

Astra was a no go as I've heard of reliability problems and the lack of bluetooth

Golf was the best speced car, but looked boring

Mazda had the lowest hp, but was so hot... went for beauty over brains I guess....

Yeah, fancy a k and n filter, jsut not sure which one I need for the 1.6

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »