Author Topic: Mazda and Ford  (Read 19195 times)

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
Re: Mazda and Ford
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 01:43:33 AM »

Yeah, even if I drive like a saint I'm only getting 31mpg... 4000 miles on the clock now, so should be seeing a gradual increase.

4K on the clock, I've read 6K is when petrol engine begin to run in. I would guess that your engine is a little tight. I would wait a few more thousand miles before (carefully & gradually) exercising the engine thought its rev range.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »

Yeah, even if I drive like a saint I'm only getting 31mpg... 4000 miles on the clock now, so should be seeing a gradual increase.

4K on the clock, I've read 6K is when petrol engine begin to run in. I would guess that your engine is a little tight. I would wait a few more thousand miles before (carefully & gradually) exercising the engine thought its rev range.

Ooooops  O0

Yeah, I thought it was 6000, just was expecting it to start to improve gradually... perhaps I'm just too impatient :D

been trying to drive a little less aggressively lately to improve economy...
however, the snow buggered those plans

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:17 AM »
Ooooops  O0

Yeah, I thought it was 6000, just was expecting it to start to improve gradually... perhaps I'm just too impatient :D

Took mine till 50,000 miles and driving gently, during the summer till I could get decent (around 40) economy out of mine. Then I ruined it by putting big wheels on it to see it collapse again. Glad work is paying for some of my petrol at the moment.

Not so bad though, I used a Civic the other week and I know it was cold but I needed to fill it with over £50 of fuel for a 250 mile round trip! The other thing was I've never seen a hire car with 25K miles on the clock  :o

Offline Duc de Pommfrit

• Ultimate Class
  • Forum shopkeeper
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
I was reading Top Gear magazine who were saying goodbye to the honda R-type.  Something about EC regs and it high reving engines! 

Offline K13 RFF

• Sports Class
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
ooops sorry i didnt mean to cause agro  :( jus i had three foci and they all had trouble with them. my fatha now has a focus and hes having  issues with his

sorry dudes
07 plate sport, mods on the way

Offline Anth

• MPS Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
Ooooops  O0

Took mine till 50,000 miles and driving gently, during the summer till I could get decent (around 40) economy out of mine. Then I ruined it by putting big wheels on it to see it collapse again. Glad work is paying for some of my petrol at the moment.

Not so bad though, I used a Civic the other week and I know it was cold but I needed to fill it with over £50 of fuel for a 250 mile round trip! The other thing was I've never seen a hire car with 25K miles on the clock  :o

50, 000 miles crikey thats crackers...

Problem is, by the time I've put 50,000 miles on the clock, I will have spent thousands extra on fuel compared to a golf for example...

although I guess the high octane fuel would cost more...

Pretty soon, petrols will be defunct as diesels will always be better value...

I think the issue is with the stats manufacturers post. Average fuel consumption should be split into several section:

Best Av Fuel Econ (dyno)

Realistic Fuel Economy based on the average driver (not a fuc**ng dyno reading)

This could perhaps be broken down into section based on how many miles are on the clock

There are equally powered diesel engines gonig around that give 45+ mpg... the price difference between diesel and petrol cars doesn't offset the cost

Offline don

• Takara Class
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
So to add to this FORD/MAZDA debate- I agree that the platform is shared, but I would take this as being the floorpan. Other components, such as suspension/ steering and hubs may APPEAR to be interchangeable, but I would hazard doubt as to this being the case. For instance, when I was on the hunt for a spare wheel (stupid foam) I assumed a Focus MK2 one would fit, but the PCD was completely wrong and unique to japanese cars.
FORD use their own electrics, which give issues, and MAZDA use Japanese (which generally dont). Just look at the switchgear and fusebox in your 3- nothing from Dagenham there!
Having said that, I believe the 1.6 petrol engine is a true Jap unit (could be wrong) but who makes the engine in my 2.0? Is it a FORD Duratec made for MAZDA, or a MAZDA DISI made for FORD? It certainly has FOMOCO stampings on some casings and the dipstick. Or is it made in Mexico for both 'companies'-Ditto the diesel units-FORD/ MAZDA/ PEUGEOT/ CITROEN? does each company build their own, or buy them in?
As for consumption, mines usually showing an average of 34 mpg, which Im happy with though I did used to have a Cooper S (slurp, slurp watch that fuel dissappear). Oddly enough, now FORD have reduced their shareholding, it seems more and more FORD dealers in the midlands are combining with a MAZDA franchise. Strange.
Car history '81 fiesta 950, '86 Cavalier 1.6, '90 Cavalier 2.0,'93 Corsa sri, '95 306xsi, '00 306xsi, '52 206gti, '05 Cooper s, '58 MX5 RC, '59 Mazda 3 2.0 Sport

Offline fl3x7

• S Class
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:54 AM »
Wow maybe I have been naive but i didnt realise so many companies actually collaborated like this.

Thanks

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:54 AM »