Author Topic: 1.6 Takara low MPG?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Mellors

• S Class
1.6 Takara low MPG?
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:23:39 PM »
New here, go easy on me. :P

My dad has a 58 plate 1.6 Takara semi-auto. He's had it for almost 2 years now and I've only been driving it for the past 4 months since I passed. It's only done 4500 because he can't drive it very often because of his back.

But in the 4500miles(only about 500 on the motorways) we have only managed to get an average of 23.2MPG on the trip computer and this hasn't been reset once since we got the car. I've done most of the last 1500miles and it's barely gone up any at all. You've probably gathered that I'm a young driver because it's not my car but it doesn't mean I'm a boy racer.  :P I'm not stupid enough as I know what it's like to be in a car crash from a few years back.

But is 23MPG seen as acceptable for this car and would it be worth getting Mazda to give it a look? It's starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

Offline Janet

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2009
Re: 1.6 Takara low MPG?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:35 PM »

But is 23MPG seen as acceptable for this car and would it be worth getting Mazda to give it a look? It's starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

I have an MPS which usually averages around 28-29 mpg on short(ish) journeys. Try resetting the trip computer, then see what happens over the next 50 miles or so.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:07:19 AM »
What mpg does the manual quote?

Don't know how accurate the computer is and haven't bothered checking. Better to go by full tank to full tank calculations over at least a couple of fills. (Miles divided by litres multiplied by 4.546 will give you mpg)

My 50000 mile average is just over 38mpg (which is crap for a 1.6 due to poor gearing) - you'll get less with an auto, but 23mpg sounds painful.

Offline Duc de Pommfrit

• Ultimate Class
  • Forum shopkeeper
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:58:30 AM »
Auto are bad for MPG but I dont think this bad!! ???

Offline allanpug

• Sports Class
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
We have a 08 takara, she's done about 20k ish, For the first fair few thousand we got 28-32mpg with just town driving and 34 ish on a 100 mile motorway trip. Now we're getting average 30 ish on town driving (all with aircon on). We haven't done a motorway blast yet

Allan
sunlight silver 08 plate takara

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »
Auto are bad for MPG but I dont think this bad!! ???

2008 would make it a series 1 (right?). Well if my memory serves me well the brochure quotes the 1.6 with similar economy figures of my 2.0 ~ 30 mpg

A conventional auto is the smoothest kind - infact I read a review stating the 3 with its intelligent auto box is a great auto. The downside to a slushbox auto (vs a CVT or a VAG style DSG) is they aren't as efficient as the transmission is not always 'locked' to the engine (though usually in top gear it is).

Another factor not helping is the low mileage. The engine should be mostly run in but there might be a bit more for it to loosen up. My advice is (when warmed up) don't be afraid to use the full rev range.

Its a different car, but I also get to drive a Honda Jazz with a 1.4 CVT - it gets 36 mpg in traffic and 40+mpg on a run.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:34:56 PM by sk4tec »

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline AR Takara

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:31:13 PM »
Getting about 35mpg on average with mine - same spec etc.

Offline Mellors

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Hmm, thanks. I'll calculate the MPG myself next time I fill it up.

Will also be interesting to see how much petrol it uses on a 300mile motorway journey. Hoping to do it all on one tank. Lol

Offline AR Takara

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
That's fine then. Hey do you have much stone chipping on your copper red paintwork? -on the strip of bodywork below the bottom of the front doors (sills), and lower of doors - probably not as it's very low mileage.

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »

Try Sprit Monitor, it does it all for you, not that MPG is hard mind you.
2010 2.2d[185] Sport Hatchback in Black Mica

Offline allanpug

• Sports Class
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

Try Sprit Monitor, it does it all for you, not that MPG is hard mind you.

is the onboard fuel consumption computer thingy not any good, as that's what we use

Allan
sunlight silver 08 plate takara

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »
Mine reports better consumption than I get by using the pumped amount and the odometer, 43.9 on-board, 39 ish by calculation.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
Interesting figures on Sprit Monitor - one reporting around 3l/100km - that's 90mpg - I wish. Of course, it could have been a very long descent in neutral, but I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Allanpug - the computer calculation estimates the amount of fuel in the tank using the level guage - it's all it's got - so that's got a considerable error margin. The predicted mileage seems to vary on recent history prior to filling. I see up to over 50 miles variation on range after a fill - I always neck it. If you note the estimated range after a fill, then check miles covered and remaining range, you'll find the total range from fill falls drastically.
So, though it's slightly more use than a chocolate fireguard, it's more of a sales gimmick than anything else.

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »
I think Allanpug is referring to the MPG figure, not the range.  AFAIK, the MPG figure is calculated by using the estimated flow knowing what the ECU is up to.  As each injector squirt is such a small volume, it's easy to be slightly out and over time calculate an incorrect amount of fuel used.

Interestingly the error always seems to over-estimate the MPG, obviously this is to the manufacturers benefit.

As to the outlandish figures on sprit.de, I would think data entry trouble probably explains that.  For previous cars I used to keep a little notebook in the car and note it all down there, but these days it's just easier to do it via a smart-phone.  Keeping the data on a remote web-site means you less likely to lose it all.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:20:37 PM by 185sport »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
Ok. If it's the instantaneous figure,  it's a total waste of space - just numbers with no time base.

185sport - I still use a notebook and transfer onto an Excel spreadsheet - sad but interesting at the same time. Can be quite revealing.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »