Author Topic: Key Fob Programming  (Read 17137 times)

Offline steve_lj

• TS Class
Key Fob Programming
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:39:59 AM »
Have recently bought a Mazda3 1.6d and up to now am well pleased with it. The car only came with one key/remote fob.
Was quoted £250 at the dealer for second key - after picking myself up I searched around and ended up getting one off ebay. I can get it cut to match the original but i'm not too sure about programming it. Is this something I can do myself or am I at the mercy of the dealer again ?? Any help would be appreciated.

Excellent forum BTW.

Steve

Offline Duc de Pommfrit

• Ultimate Class
  • Forum shopkeeper
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Key Fob Programming
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »
The dealer will tell you they have to programme the key but you can do it yourself.  If you do a seach you will find some topics on the subject.   

Offline Coulda

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
i think you have to have 2 keys that work to program another one. can have up to 4 assigned to the ECU. Your owners manual will tell you for sure.

on my USDM i needed 2 fobs to program another fob.

Offline steve_lj

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »
Thanks for replies - yep i've had a look around for details of how to do it but it does seem as though you need 2 keys to start with.
Looks like I may be at the mercy of the dealers, however I will try it myself first. Will update with outcome.
Cheers

Offline hassanomar

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
how did it go?

Offline MazdaTech

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
I think there is a confusion on words here.

A key can only be programmed by the dealer as its a PATS system. The remote unit can be programmed by the owner.

Offline OZZIEBOY

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
Any news on the key fob issue? I have just joined the Forum looks good lot's of great info! O0

I only have one key and fob for mine and want to get a spare asap.... a local locksmith tells me go to the dealer but i dont want to hand over lots of pictures of the queen!!! ;)

Please help will look on flebay for key/fob

cheers all

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »
to program a key fob you need to have the drivers door open and turn your igniton on and off 3 times waiting 2 seconds each time and then close and open your door 3 times again waiting a second or 2, then press the unlock button on your key fob and it should be programed in, you may need to do this a few times, if its the key you need then you have to go to mazda to have that done, hope this helps matey
I think there is a confusion on words here.

A key can only be programmed by the dealer as its a PATS system. The remote unit can be programmed by the owner.

you are correct, seeing as your name is mazda tech i take it you work for mazda?!
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline jamie.allan

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
I bought a remote fob off eBay for my 2004 Mazda 3 1.6D TS. It's a Visteon 41804. I've tried the above to programme the fob as well as trying these instructions from the States http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?74405-Programming-a-Spare-Remote-for-Mazda3 but I cannot get the car to go into programme mode. As far as I understand it after the 3 ignition on/offs and 3 doors open/closed the doors should lock then unlock signifying that the cars controller is in programme mode. Mine does not lock/unlock at this point so I don't even get the chance to try the fob programming. What does happen though is when I remove the key after all of the above the doors lock/unlock twice. Any suggestions?
I read somewhere to try ignition on/off 4 times to go into the diagnostics security test to reset all remotes for the car but that does not appear to resolve the issue either.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »
Try again.. It sounds like you are not quite doing it right.

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline jamie.allan

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
Willpower,
I go through steps 1-5 as you suggest but the car does not respond as per step 6 - it never locks/unlocks the doors once. Can I just confirm step 2 though? Whilst I have the drivers door open and try to lock the doors using the power door lock switch/central locking switch on the drivers door it immediately unlocks again - presumably as the door is open. So I cannot unlock the door at this point.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
That is correct. You must leave the door open in order to continue. I know this works as I have done it myself. If you are following all the steps correctly and it still doesn't work for you, then I am at a bit of a loss.

Offline jamie.allan

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
Willpower,
I've seen elsewhere a reference to resetting the process of programming remotes by switching on/off the ignition 4 times - do you know anything about this and whether I could find a step by step detail of how to do this?
Thanks
Jamie
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:14:42 PM by jamie.allan »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
Do you mean the same as in Step 4 ?   This entails switching the ignition on/off 4 times. Once on /off , then again 3 times within 10 seconds.
Are you only doing it 3 times  ?

Offline jamie.allan

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
Willpower,
Yes I mean as in Step 4 but switching on/off the ignition 4 times instead of 3. To reset the programming do you need to go through steps 1 to 3 then as step 4 switch on/off the ignition 4 times with the drivers door open? Do you need to complete steps 5 and 6 thereafter to complete the reset?
Thanks -  I walk my dog and the lack of a remote means I have to take him onto the roadside to open the car so I'd rather get the remote working.
Jamie

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »