Author Topic: Towbar - Sport Models  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Nij

• S Class
Towbar - Sport Models
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
Hi, i've recently collected my new 3 2.2d 185 Sport and i'd like to have a detachable towbar fitted so that I can use my bike carrier.  Unfortunately, none of the local Mazda dealers seem to be able to agree which parts are needed - some say a Parking Distance Sensor Deactivation harness is required (taking the price up to £670!!), others haven't mentioned it (quoting £495) and Towbar companies have stated that Witter towbars cannot be fitted to Sport models.  Has anybody else experienced similar problems?

Offline clairendave

• TS Class
Re: Towbar - Sport Models
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
Look on your V5, it will state a towing weight. it MAY not list one in which case there is a slim chance you could be flouting the law by having a towbar fitted.

I know I have come across some confusion as to if the sport is type approved for towing. (mps isn't on 3 or 6)
not sure if it the latest models tho as our 56 plate is ok.

(I know you state you want it for a bike rack, but you have to watch the law as they look at the possibilities of what can be done.)

Offline JohnD

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »
I wanted to fit a flange type towbar to my 2007 Mazda 3 Sport (to fit a bike rack).

The advice about the sports bumper is confusing but I ended up going for a Tow Trust TF67 purchased online from Just Tow. Both their web sites say the towbar is compatible with the sports bumper.

The towbar arrived and I fitted it no trouble, did not even have to cut the bumper.

I then realised that the towball and bike rack bracket obscured the number plate (Witter ZX78 is designed for low number plate).

The advice to fit a detachable towbar given by most suppliers is due to this number plate problem.

A phone call to a very helpful Tow Trust and they made me a custom flange part with bolt holes 50mm lower. Free of charge. Perfect  :)

I hope this is of some help to anyone looking at towbar options.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2007 Mazda 3 - 2.0d Sport Hatchback.

Offline mazda_3_mzrcd

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
Hi, i've recently collected my new 3 2.2d 185 Sport and i'd like to have a detachable towbar fitted so that I can use my bike carrier.  Unfortunately, none of the local Mazda dealers seem to be able to agree which parts are needed - some say a Parking Distance Sensor Deactivation harness is required (taking the price up to £670!!), others haven't mentioned it (quoting £495) and Towbar companies have stated that Witter towbars cannot be fitted to Sport models.  Has anybody else experienced similar problems?

surely you dont need a deactivation harness for sensors as that is already standard on the car,right hand side of steering wheel on dash! the button allows you to turn off the senor??!

According to mazda's website the detachable tow bar is £253 excl fitting. the deactivation sensor is only £23 if needed so surely it cant justify the £170 difference in cost which you were quoted!!

tow bar part no: BDA1-V3-920

I too am looking for a towbar but havent looked too much for need to get a few quid together first!!

Offline mazda_3_mzrcd

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
Look on your V5, it will state a towing weight. it MAY not list one in which case there is a slim chance you could be flouting the law by having a towbar fitted.

I know I have come across some confusion as to if the sport is type approved for towing. (mps isn't on 3 or 6)
not sure if it the latest models tho as our 56 plate is ok.

(I know you state you want it for a bike rack, but you have to watch the law as they look at the possibilities of what can be done.)

There is no problem fitting a towbar for a bike rack or even larger items. Unbraked towing capability of 600kg and braked is about 1400kg.

you might actually be cheaper getting a roof rack system. Thats what i have for the bikes, need towbar for trailer!!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »