Author Topic: The Budget & Car Tax!!  (Read 7673 times)

Offline adey1

• Sports Class
The Budget & Car Tax!!
« on: March 19, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6464783.stm

I don't understand. Having a car that only does 25mpg means I already pay a big % more tax than someone who's car manages 40mpg. & with the pay per mile scheme looking like it's coming in! >:(

I already pay per bloody mile because I choose to to have an uneconomical car! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline mothy

• MPS Class
Re: The Budget & Car Tax!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:37:31 PM »
it is a bit annoying that this is going to happen.. have to see how it affects the MPS, but I suspect we will get hit hard, as we are already in the top tax bracket already on the car i beleive!!!

Especially when you have to stick super unleaded in it as well..

But hey... if you want to dance, you gotta pay the band........
07 MPS, Cosmic Blue, Aero Pack

Offline moboang

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »
Yep this sucks, £400 + maybe for car Tax on the MPS! nice!

Offline Skid

• Sports Class
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »
Thing that pisses me off, is the UK isn't a major poluter - unlike China, India, etc - all the "heavy" industry based countries... more to the point, cows do more damage to the ozone than cars do ffs - just sodding cut beef out of the menu, and have everyone drink soya/goats milk so we can drive w/o paying per mile, and less tax :P
Nada :/

Offline Mica_MPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
Yep this sucks, £400 + maybe for car Tax on the MPS! nice!

The government's view is obviously that all Band G buyers are driving around in £30k+ cars, and can well afford to be soaked, quite apart from the fact that virtually none of them would ever vote Labour anyway.

Well only the second part is true in my case; I'm not particularly affluent, I chose the MPS primarily on the basis of its value, and I accept inherently higher running costs, fuel in particular, as the price I pay for choosing to run a performance car.

This does not mean I can afford to suddenly be forced to pay road tax equivalent to my annual insurance premium because Brown decides to engage in some fvcking stupid green gesture politics that won't have the slightest impact on UK C02 emissions.

If there's any organised motoring protest, or direct action, as a result of the "green" measures in the budget, I will be taking part. The time for sitting back and whiming, and watching our freedoms be steadily eroded year by year is over for me.

Black Mica '56 Mazda 3 MPS

Offline Skid

• Sports Class
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:30:16 PM »
Me too, I've been basically saving for a car since I was 16... my time has come, and next month I'm ordering, so to be twatted in the face with this just really fucks me off - if the pence per mile thing comes in too, that'll really screw me over, espically on emergency trips to London where I simply can't wait for the ******ty public transport.

Perhaps if the overall situation / quality of the public transport system was better, and more comfortable/clean to use more people would chose that over work if they had the choice of being able to choose betwen driving to work or taking PT.

I've always thought he was a cvnt anyway.

Offline adey1

• Sports Class
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:51:57 PM »
But why just cat G? If there is going to be an increase it should be staggered through the stupid tax band. I think they should scrap road tax anyway & (dare I say it) add it to fuel so we really do pay per mile! How unfair is it that an old lady in her 1.0L Micra who does 5 miles per week to Kwicksave should pay the same as a rep who's got a 1.0L Micra who does 70K miles??!! >:( ???

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »
But hey... if you want to dance, you gotta pay the band........

I have to agree with mothy here. If you want to drive a fast car AND avoid band G you have to buy a car registered before 23rd March last year when band G was introduced. Unfortunately that discounts the MPS.

I've never understood the whole car tax / emmissions bands. They're a rather blunt tool and the gaps between bands are so small as to be negligible. My 1.6 costs £135 to tax for a year but if I drive an average 12000 miles I'll pay nearly £1000 in fuel tax - there's the environmental tax burden. You MPS guys will be paying a whole load more tax on your fuel than car tax even if its put at £400 tomorrow

This does not mean I can afford to suddenly be forced to pay road tax equivalent to my annual insurance premium...
If its any consolation I'm paying £950 to insure a 1.6 - I would happily swap. As to your point, you're right, a band G car doesn't make you rich but don't forget this is NuLabour and we're dealing in the politics of fear, control and jealousy. Mr Brown won't be happy until you're paying 100% tax and you only have what he gives you but I believe they abolished slavery a few hundred years ago  :o

Offline moboang

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
Well MPS owners, you can start paying £300 from 22 March and the £400 next year >:( :'( :'(

Offline Skid

• Sports Class
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:34:58 PM »
think of it as 30 quid a month... a night out in a way I guess heh

Offline Mica_MPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 05:25:31 PM »
It's a complete pain, but nothing more than an irritant at the moment.

What really worries me is that there's nothing to stop whichever snivelling yes-man Brown appoints as his successor doubling it again at the next budget (a perfectly possible scenario - this has nothing to do with fairness), at which point I would have to start thinking seriously about getting rid of the MPS.

Ironically, I'd almost certainly end up with something older, faster and much more polluting!

Offline Skid

• Sports Class
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »
ya heh, if it gets to that stage, we may as well up root and piss of abroad :)

Offline adey1

• Sports Class
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »
Well MPS owners, you can start paying £300 from 22 March and the £400 next year >:( :'( :'(

So does that mean next year when I buy my Tax in Feb, will it be £300? & then the year after £400??

Offline Mica_MPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:34:22 PM »

So does that mean next year when I buy my Tax in Feb, will it be £300? & then the year after £400??

Yep, the £400 rise next year doesn't come in until next April.

Offline adey1

• Sports Class
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »
Well I suppose that's one good thing then. Next year it will cost me £300 & then the year  after I'll be buying a new car again. Although I will be paying for it in the price of the new car. >:(

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »