Technical Section > Bodywork

What work to fix this?

(1/2) > >>

daiking:
Here's a few pics for Carlosnewry or anyone else with some experience to look at and give me an idea of the work needed. New panel or just fill and paint etc

I'd be happy with the marks on the door being polished out, it looks like paint damage no bent metal unlike the other panel which is creased in a couple of places (slightly larger panel gap against door) and a small kink near the bottom of the wheel arch.

When the car is clean and you're not too close, its not that noticable:

foxy:
Depends on how fussy you are. If it is your pride and joy then get a few quotes from body repairers with a good reputation. Otherwise try those mobile guys running franchises in your area. They can vastly improve the look so that only close inspection reveals that it is not a bodyshop repair. It wont get past future buyers but it means that you wont be driving around in an "obviously" damaged car. This difference could be a few hundred pounds.

carlosnewry:
id say its a bit to much for a mobile guy to do, if the marks on the door polish out to where you are happy with it, then you could fill the quarter panel and paint to the line above the petrol flap, a good painter will be able to paint to the hard panel edge and polish it off after and you wont see or feel paint edge. the only problem with not painting the door is matching the colour, but with your colour and that the damage is low down you might get away with it. its all down to what you can live with. you could give it a real good polish, careful touch up and be happy enough with it.

daiking:

--- Quote from: carlosnewry on February 06, 2010, 05:36:18 PM ---id say its a bit to much for a mobile guy to do, if the marks on the door polish out to where you are happy with it, then you could fill the quarter panel and paint to the line above the petrol flap, a good painter will be able to paint to the hard panel edge and polish it off after and you wont see or feel paint edge. the only problem with not painting the door is matching the colour, but with your colour and that the damage is low down you might get away with it. its all down to what you can live with. you could give it a real good polish, careful touch up and be happy enough with it.

--- End quote ---
If the panel damage was only as bad as the door I'd accept a polish and leave whatever RDS was left but as you can see it's dented. And if that bit is being re-painted, the door may as well be done too. Would a bit of the door, the whole door or even the whole side of the car typically be done to match the paint? My dealer gave me a quote of £500+VAT for all sorts including a new door strip, do you think its realistic to get the fill and painting done for £250-ish? (I'm not sure where the costs are, how long it takes etc if you think I'm taking the piss  :-[) I'll looking for somewhere local to give me a quote when I get time.

I've had it (the dent) for 18 months so no I'm not too proud of my car. I look after it (mechanically) but first and foremost its a tool to do a job, not a beauty queen.

carlosnewry:
yea you could easily get it done for under 300 pound. its only a days work. as for changing the side moulding, the dealer ws taking the piss. it can be easily removed and glue taken off and re taped to go on again. most bodyshops wont even take it off and jus paint it on. you dont need it off to fix the damage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version