Author Topic: Best insurance company  (Read 23731 times)

Offline Philk

• TS Class
Re: Best insurance company
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
being young is a licence for insurance companies to print money, im paying nearly £1800  for my 04 ts2.
but thats insured in london/essex, and i only had my licence 8months, and i was only 20 at the time of being covered. im with LV because i get a discount cos the rest of my family are already with them, but Adrian flux are good for young drivers (and modified cars) although they do have quite a high excess so its a riskier option.

oh well, in a few years i should be fine... mayb then i can get a sport.... still probably couldnt get an mps though.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »
being young is a licence for insurance companies to print money, im paying nearly £1800  for my 04 ts2.
but thats insured in london/essex, and i only had my licence 8months, and i was only 20 at the time of being covered. im with LV because i get a discount cos the rest of my family are already with them, but Adrian flux are good for young drivers (and modified cars) although they do have quite a high excess so its a riskier option.

oh well, in a few years i should be fine... mayb then i can get a sport.... still probably couldnt get an mps though.

Unfortunately they aren't as unsubtle as that; they rely entirely on statistics : area you live : occupation : age group : driving history.
The fact is that your age is the highest risk group therefore most likely to draw funds from them, hence high premiums or the laughter at the other end when you try to insure a Porche.
Your age group is also the likeliest to be uninsured hence the frequent tug by the boys in blue.

"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young."

J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 2003
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2009, 03:44:07 AM »
"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young."
    J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 2003
I like that .
 :D
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Rory Joe

• S Class
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:28 PM »

As much as I despised having to pay over a grand to insure my 1.2 Punto at the tender age of 18 five years ago (blame south wales and it's appalling car crime rate for that price mainly, lol!) being young really isn't an excuse for insurers to print money. hell, most insurance companies are making a loss on the kids, trust me on that. they make the profit on old gits that spend £200 on their annual insurance, drive at 25mph in a 30 to "be on the safe side" and the ones that never have an accident (just like my parents, hahaha!).

As mentioned in my other thread, I work for a major insurance company in the UK, I've seen some claims where teenagers who've just passed their test have had a serious accident and have paralised a pedestrian. bear in mind, we as an insurer are liable to effectively pay their wages for the rest of their life if they can't work, and have to cover the cost of 24 hour disability care for the rest of their lives, have to pay for special adaptions to peoples houses etc... of course anyone of any age can be behind the wheel for an accident like this, but statistics tell us they are more likely to be young and inexperienced, and unfortunately for most of us on the forum, male. going back to these claims though, they can quite easily hit the £1/2m mark and then some. It's not fun being tarnished with the same brush, but then again it's the only way to calculate a (relatively) fair premium. that £1000 premium seems pretty small when you weigh it up to what your insurance company has to pay, doesn't it? i know, i know, you're probably thinking "yeah, but i've not had an accident, why should i pay for peoples claims?". if your car was written off by a small misjudgement though, you'd want your insurer to pay out a good bit more than what you pay each year to replace your car with something similar :)

(to end the women/men are safer drivers debate, women have more accidents, but men do more damage. when we crash, we crash in style! hahaha!).

thankfully though, moving on from £1000 premium's for a 1.2 punto, with a litte staff discount to help lighten the load, and now at the age of 24 - for my new Mazda 3 Takara 1.6 i'll be taking delivery of in a few weeks, i'm getting yearly quotes of approx £400 which is brilliant for me. Those first few years of driving are there to prove to insurers that you don't suck. endure the high prices and reap the benefits of cheaper insurance a few years down the line. and FOR GODS SAKE DON'T GET POINTS FOR SPEEDING! lol :P £30 / £60 / £90 fines are absolutely nothing, just you wait till to see how much it affects your insurance as a young male :P

apologies if the spelling and grammar is ******e, i've had a few beers this evening!

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
Got my renewal quote through the post today from Elephant. Cost me £560 last year - I was 27 and had 6 yrs no claims.
So, as you can probably guess, a year on at 28 with 7 yrs no claims, thats right, they want £715!!!  >:(
Beggars belief!!!
Got a quote from direct line for £478, took that one.  ;D
I called Elephant to give them a chance to match it. They magically "tweaked the policy" and "had a word with the manager" and said they could do it for £580!!!
So, pissed off on 2 counts...
1 - Trying to charge a long term customer £135 more than necesary.
2 - When they say "would you like to take our offer?"... Ooh, why yes! I'll throw money away to stay with you over someone else - tossers...  >:(

Had the same with the house ins a few weeks ago, renewal came at £360, one phone call and 10min later its down to £215 for the exact same cover... really grates me how these sorts of companies try it on. I mean, Asda don't try to charge £3 for a loaf of bread, then drop it to £1.50 when you question it!?!?!?!?!  ???

Offline craig2d

• TS2 Class
  • Not a Mazda...
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 05:35:07 PM »
yer that is cheeky ben. more than tried that with me so i switched to swiftcover (who am still with now) and they are bay far the cheapest for me (23yr old, 2yrs no claims) im payin £600 which has been £200/300 cheaper than my next quote by anyone else! just shows u can save if u spend the time shopping round, i did use confused then when direct to the insurance company and that comes back a bit cheaper again than confused quotes
Ford Focus ST170

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »
Jsut got one with Swiftcover for 319 , think I'll take it; it's lower than last year !!
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline Rory Joe

• S Class
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »
Got my renewal quote through the post today from Elephant. Cost me £560 last year - I was 27 and had 6 yrs no claims.
So, as you can probably guess, a year on at 28 with 7 yrs no claims, thats right, they want £715!!!  >:(
Beggars belief!!!
I called Elephant to give them a chance to match it. They magically "tweaked the policy" and "had a word with the manager" and said they could do it for £580!!!
2 - When they say "would you like to take our offer?"... Ooh, why yes! I'll throw money away to stay with you over someone else - tossers...  >:(

Had the same with the house ins a few weeks ago, renewal came at £360, one phone call and 10min later its down to £215 for the exact same cover... really grates me how these sorts of companies try it on. I mean, Asda don't try to charge £3 for a loaf of bread, then drop it to £1.50 when you question it!?!?!?!?!  ???

So they're tossers because they aren't competitive for you this year? I can clearly see you have no idea how insurance works :/ You know the reason Direct Line have got you a good price this time? It's because their other customers who share similar credentials to yourself have had a low rate of accidents this year. Exactly the same like Elephant was for you last year. There's every likely that Direct Line won't be as competitive next year because they are very competitive for you this year. It's how the business works. You go with an insurance company because they are competitive right then and there. Rates fluctuate wildly across the insurance industry and 90% of the time they'll only stay competitive for one year for you. Working in the business myself, you see if there's any way you can improve the quote and people (like what you've done) grumble that the price has been reduced when it "should have been reduced already", and then you get other people who complain if you tell them you can't reduce it. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. You seem to be having a grumble over the member of staff going to have a look to see if there was anything they could do to impove it. I'd actually be pretty grateful that they tried in the first place...

Sorry to sound like a whinger, but it annoys me when people rant about car insurance without knowing the facts. That, and back in my days of working on the phone to customers, I got called a tosser plenty of times as well because I couldn't get a competitive price. It's not big or clever, it's actually pretty rude and ignorant :/

No one holds a gun to your head and asks you to renew a second year. Just shop around, and politely say "you're not competitive this year I'm afraid I'll have to move elsewhere" rather than "No chance mate you're a bunch of rip off merchants blah blah blah".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:26:34 PM by Rory Joe »

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »
Beggars belief!!!

So they're tossers because they aren't competitive for you this year? I can clearly see you have no idea how insurance works :/ You know the reason Direct Line have got you a good price this time? It's because their other customers who share similar credentials to yourself have had a low rate of accidents this year. Exactly the same like Elephant was for you last year. There's every likely that Direct Line won't be as competitive next year because they are very competitive for you this year. It's how the business works. You go with an insurance company because they are competitive right then and there. Rates fluctuate wildly across the insurance industry and 90% of the time they'll only stay competitive for one year for you. Working in the business myself, you see if there's any way you can improve the quote and people (like what you've done) grumble that the price has been reduced when it "should have been reduced already", and then you get other people who complain if you tell them you can't reduce it. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. You seem to be having a grumble over the member of staff going to have a look to see if there was anything they could do to impove it. I'd actually be pretty grateful that they tried in the first place...

Sorry to sound like a whinger, but it annoys me when people rant about car insurance without knowing the facts. That, and back in my days of working on the phone to customers, I got called a tosser plenty of times as well because I couldn't get a competitive price. It's not big or clever, it's actually pretty rude and ignorant :/

No one holds a gun to your head and asks you to renew a second year. Just shop around, and politely say "you're not competitive this year I'm afraid I'll have to move elsewhere" rather than "No chance mate you're a bunch of rip off merchants blah blah blah".

No, they are tossers because they send a renewal of one price and with one call are quite happy to slice £150 quid off the premium. They must be still in profit or i'm sure they would say "0k go elsewhere".
Just hoping you are dumb enough to just renew without testing the water...

And I was and always are very polite and even had a laugh with the girl on the phone (had a sexy irish accent  ;)) as its not her fault the company was over charging and pushing their luck. These are my feelings, not what i said to anyone.

Anyway, don't moan to me about being called a tosser on the phone to a cutomer, I teach in a deprived secondary school. I look forward to days where thats the worst i get thrown at me (sometimes literally)!!! It's directed at the company, not you as a person and unfortunately happens in most lines of work now and again.

So you are saying that insurance companies base their premiums purely on their own customer  base and not the  whole of the national and regional trends in claims? Seems a little narrow... but then I know nothing of how it works...

sorry, nerve hit & couldn't stop typing...   rant back over.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:54:54 PM by Ben_MPS »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »