Author Topic: Questions on RX8  (Read 16247 times)

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
  • Mazda 3 Takara 1.6 auto
Questions on RX8
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find the answer... Mate is thinking of buying one, couple of questions, 1.3 & 2.6 192 and 231bhp respectively. can't seem to work out what the relevance is in engine size vs power output, seen 1.3's with 192 & 231bhp and 2.6's with 192 and 231bhp respectively?  ??? Anyone help me out here?

Also what's MPG like?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Why I have a poll about it I have no idea.. plz remove it lol

Edit: Poll removed as requested
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:40:56 PM by Willpower »

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
Re: Questions on RX8
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
My understanding and opinion as we currently own one.

One engine size which is technically a 1.3 ltr, designed to give two different power outputs, 192 and 231 the 231 power output is classed as the equivalent of 2616cc,  the 231 is the one to go for as you get the addition of a six speed box. Driven both, had a 192 for a  month as the 231 was not ready.

Petrol consumption is high 20's, I check the oil every two/three weeks and top it up by about half a pint.

Cracking cars, tell your mate to go to the RX8 owners forum as there is loads of info there.
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »
So basically when you see both a 192 and 231 advertised as 1.3 it's technically correct? but some will advertise the 231 as a 2.6 coz "it looks better"?

On the 192 you had did you find the ride and gearchange smoother than the 231 or has he just been looking at a "bad" 231?

Thanks for your help, I'm trying to persuade him to go for the 231  :)

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »
The 192 was brand new so not the best to conpare as the wifes 231 is a 54 plate. The ride was about the same, it needed a 6th gear in my opinion. Did not pull as hard as the 231 does.

May be down to personal opinion but i would certainly get hom to drive a few if he is not sure.

2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
He has driven both, found the 192 smoother but does really want the 231, the ride wont bother him as he had been considering an Evo. I suggested the RX8 to him and it's gone from there really.

Appreciate your help, thank you  :)

Offline sdg 3mps

• Super Ultimate Class
  • You would'nt like me when i'm angry ! hehe
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »
An EVO will be wayyyyy better,but the regular servicing will be a bitch  :(

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
As above. Both engines are 1.3 litres but you get 192 and 231 PS models so 190BHP and 230BHP ish. The 192 will be disappointing and you WILL wish you bought the 231. The 192 is simply underpowered. Bare in mind there is NO chap way to get good power gains. Intakes maps ets are no good on the RX8 as it is tuned to the max as it is. Turbo is only way and will cost 6k!!!

The cars are great fun to drive and handle well but IMO could do with aftermarket suspension. As above, oil needs to be checked every 1k miles and will take 1 litre each 1k it does. MPG is poor! You will achieve anything from 12MPG to 25MPG depending on driving style. This equates to 180 to 230 Miles per 65 litre tank.

The RX8 has a bad rap for being unreliable and there are things you need to check for that are fairly common such as Cat failure, gear box failure, rust under arches, corroding wheels, corrosion at pointy bit of boot lid etc.

Check this forum for more info mate. It is a great car but you need to look around and get one with full mazda service history, preferably with warranty on it still and dont rush into a purchase as it could end up being a money pit.

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
An EVO will be wayyyyy better,but the regular servicing will be a bitch  :(

Think that's why he gave up on that  :)

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
As above. Both engines are 1.3 litres but you get 192 and 231 PS models so 190BHP and 230BHP ish. The 192 will be disappointing and you WILL wish you bought the 231. The 192 is simply underpowered. Bare in mind there is NO chap way to get good power gains. Intakes maps ets are no good on the RX8 as it is tuned to the max as it is. Turbo is only way and will cost 6k!!!

The cars are great fun to drive and handle well but IMO could do with aftermarket suspension. As above, oil needs to be checked every 1k miles and will take 1 litre each 1k it does. MPG is poor! You will achieve anything from 12MPG to 25MPG depending on driving style. This equates to 180 to 230 Miles per 65 litre tank.

The RX8 has a bad rap for being unreliable and there are things you need to check for that are fairly common such as Cat failure, gear box failure, rust under arches, corroding wheels, corrosion at pointy bit of boot lid etc.

Check this forum for more info mate. It is a great car but you need to look around and get one with full mazda service history, preferably with warranty on it still and dont rush into a purchase as it could end up being a money pit.

Interesting comment on the tuning side mate, he reckons  one he's looked at has been "chipped" giving 295bhp but a misfire at 60mph, could well explain that then. I'll tell him to stay clear of that one then.

Cheers for your advice guys, much appreciated

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »

Interesting comment on the tuning side mate, he reckons  one he's looked at has been "chipped" giving 295bhp but a misfire at 60mph, could well explain that then. I'll tell him to stay clear of that one then.

Cheers for your advice guys, much appreciated

Lies mate. It is not possible, trust me. I had a rx8 for 9 months and explored all the options. Only way to get substantially more power is via super / turbo charger.

Definately stay clear.

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
I do trust you mate, thanks for all the advice, I've told my mate now it's down to him  :)

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
Hopefully he will get a decent example. It is a cracking car when cared for properly and at todays prices, arguably one of the best buys available at the moment. £22k ish new, 3 year later, £8k ish!!! Thank you very much....

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
There is, I think, something dodgy about this particular one he's driven, as I said it's supposedly been chipped, which I now know is pointless thanks to you :) it's an 04 plate apparently, up for £6500 but will knock 1K off.  I'll pass everything on to him and hope he gets a good one, I want a drive of one lol.

Offline ScootG

• Sports Class
  • Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel..
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 07:17:08 PM »
My RX 231 is getting about 21 mpg at the moment.
I too have explored the possibility of enhancing the performance and there are only four ways I've been told that increase at all.

1. A Sports Cat.
2. A Cat-Back Exhaust
3. A Turbo
4. Nitrous.

I've got the exhaust, and will be fitting the other three in due course. I've been told that all will have an effect on mpg though.

However, the 231 is the only RX I can see. It's a fantastic car that sounds beautiful, and you'll not stop smiling when you hear it's rotors whine below 1,000rpm, and look at the dial go all the way to 9,000rpm.. :)
- Current: Nissan 350Z.

- Former: Mazda3 1.6 TS (Winning Blue) - Alloys, Window Tints, Interior Lighting, Undercar Lighting, Suspension Lowered.

Offline anweb

• Takara Class
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:04 PM »
Ok guys quick update, he took someone with him after all your advice and finally found out that to get it back to stock is gonna cost him £1900 approx... £1450 to remove the "chip" and anothe £400 or so to have it reset to normal.. I can'ttell you what he said to them on here ;D.. the plus point is he still wants one  :).. Cheers for all your input.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:04 PM »