Author Topic: Badges  (Read 7441 times)

Offline barneyblue

• TS2 Class
Re: Badges
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »
Insert Quote
Also found these faux carbon fibre ones on fleabay...

Thats taking it proper chav territory lol

I am definatley liking that look MPS power
I think i will either spray the repeater or replace it to finish the
black and red look

Barney

Car History: A reg Metro (Burgandy) C reg MG Metro (Green) E reg MG Metro Turbo (White) E reg Fiesta (Red) G reg Astra SRi (Silver) N reg Fiesta Si (Green) W reg Pug 306 (Blue) 03 reg Focus ST170 (Grey) 08 reg Mazda3 MPS Aero (Red)

Offline bayles111

• S Class
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »
The small MPS badges on the wings are not listed on the dealers system but I have been told that he can get a price if I need one.all prices are subject to VAT.

They are about 15 quid each  :o as I previously made enquiries then decided to paint my own...

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=3026.0

You have made a fantastic job of painting your badges. Was it a special kind of paint you used?, Did you have to do any special type of preperation on the badges before painting?. Thanks in advance. Nigel
Silver 3 MPS AERO  The Dogs Danglers

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »
When i did mine I roughed up the badges with emery cloth then sprayed with standard black paint and laquered them.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:59:07 AM »
I think a15cro is in the throes of producing some black badges. Perhaps he could let us know how he is getting on. As I understand it, it involves soaking the badges in bleach first to get the chrome off and then painting them.   Andy ?? ??
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline chrispy

• Sports Class
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
I think a15cro is in the throes of producing some black badges. Perhaps he could let us know how he is getting on. As I understand it, it involves soaking the badges in bleach first to get the chrome off and then painting them.   Andy ?? ??

I went down the bleach route when I did my Mazda badge (bought the emblems), details here: http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1727.0. Works a treat and leaves you with almost clean plastic. Remove any remnants of chrome and copper with a spot of wet sanding and you're ready to go. I used three coats of Plastikote primer, then three coats of Plastikote gloss black, then two coats of Plastikote clear gloss to seal it all. I used some wire wool between coats of the primer, to make sure it was all smooth... Maybe the number of coats I did was overkill, but the results are pretty nice...

Do a search on this forum and the US forum for details on removing chrome with bleach, it's been done a few times...

Chris.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:50:42 AM by chrispy »
True Red Mazda 3 2.0 Sport

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
You are correct I am, its a long process but I am getting there.

I now have a batman badge complete only to find out that its the wrong size! It's off an RX8. I will post a pic later today.

I have also tried to buy numerous ones of Ebay to keep the costs down but again they are all too small or wrong and mis-advetised.

To supply black badges I will have to do them on an order only basis and work on the theory that its going to be brand new from a dealer. I would also consider modifying owners existing badges for a small materials & postage fee.

2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »