Author Topic: Help pls!!!  (Read 10916 times)

Offline Dinger

• S Class
Help pls!!!
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »
Hi everyone.

I own a 2004 1600cc 3 Ts2. It gets washed and waxed regularly by hand especially before the winter months.

However Rust has appeared in both rear wheel arches, and in very similar patterns on both sides. (Needless to say I’m gutted)

I've been looking into this problem for the past few days, with the help of Mazda3forums.co.uk and Google I discovered the it is a very common problem.

One post i found Quite alarming it said to look at the spot wields found along the inside edge of the wheel arch. (You can faintly see little circles through the paint) They then went on to explain that it is not surface rust on the wheel arch it is in fact rust the has been able the thrive on the inside of the body work exploiting flaws around these spot wields where moisture salt and anything else you expect your wheel arches to deal with (With the right level of maintenance) has managed to get behind.

This means that the rust that has only appeared this year on my car has already eaten through.(this explains the bubbling of the paint before the rust appears.)

Those of you that have already had the repair done on warrantee did you get a separate warrantee for the repair?
Because you can’t stop oxidization by simply covering it up.

This is a very annoying problem but one i think caused by bad engineering and design on Mazda’s part.

All this aside i love driving my mazda 3 i think its great looking and in the 48k miles it has done since new the engine is just as perky as the day it was born.

Looking forward to your responses, advice and any more info you can share.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:21:50 PM by Dinger »

Offline flecky88

• TS2 Class
Re: Help pls!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
hiya

i have this problem on my 2004 3 aswel, im going to mazda to get some paint and taking care of it myself using 'krust' it turns the rust into a solid matter and protects your car from getting rust in that place again. you can get it from halfords, but takes some time, you have to sand the paintwork down, treat it, prime, spray and lacaquer it back, because its on the wheelarches, nobody sees them so its not the end of the world if it looks a BIT imperfect. just aslong as you dont totally bugger it up lol.

or take it to mazda and see what they say, ill b interested to see what they say

Offline Dinger

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Flecky ;) it may come to me fixing it my self and i'm not too affriad to give it a bash i'll just give myself plenty of time make sure i get a couple of days off work booked, However not befor i go to mazda to see what they say. As i said befor the rust pattern on both sides are too symmetrical for them to say it happened due to neglect.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:35:52 PM by Dinger »

Offline Chris_UK

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Same problem with 323 as well. It should have a 6 year paint warranty so tell them that.

Offline Duc de Pommfrit

• Ultimate Class
  • Forum shopkeeper
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
I mentioned it to my local dealer, didnt buy the car from them and its on a 55 plate.  They sprayed it with a black coating to stop any more rust.  Free of charge!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:15:06 PM by Duc de Pommfrit »

Offline gazpot0111645

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
i would imagine that will be covered, How long is the perforation warranty. 10 years?
Carbon Grey 2007 (07) Mazda 3 2.0D Sport 5 Door hatchback.

Offline Duc de Pommfrit

• Ultimate Class
  • Forum shopkeeper
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
If you read the manual it says that the bodywork is only covered if inspected every year and stamped in your log book.  My car has only one stamp and that is from a Toyota dealer.  I was told that the spraying of wheel arches was a recall issue

Offline nikko

• TS2 Class
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
If you read the manual it says that the bodywork is only covered if inspected every year and stamped in your log book.  My car has only one stamp and that is from a Toyota dealer.  I was told that the spraying of wheel arches was a recall issue

mine`s an 04 bought 2nd hand,being sorted f o c...  :)

Offline RichG123

• Sports Class
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance Flecky ;) it may come to me fixing it my self and i'm not too affriad to give it a bash i'll just give myself plenty of time make sure i get a couple of days off work booked, However not befor i go to mazda to see what they say. As i said befor the rust pattern on both sides are too symmetrical for them to say it happened due to neglect.  

its quite an easy thing to fix the only thing you have to watch if you have to spray a part of your car if its mettalic

just let a garage do it as it can be very hard to get it right but if its just a solid colour go fot it
Mazda 3 1.6L, Black RX8 alloys, K&N panel filter, Painted blue calipers, Front upper strutbrace

Offline Cosmic Debris

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
I have an 05 Sport and bought it second used from a main dealer.A couple of weeks after getting the car I noticed the rust spots on both wheel arches.I went back to the dealer who informed me that it was a problem that Mazda were aware of and would be faking action to repair although unfortunately the dealer did not have " the Parts " at that time.
Due to laziness I let this lapse for about 11 months but while washing the car yesterday I noticed a bubble appearing on the front wing where the wing meets the plastic front section so I took the car in today, now the fun begins.
"We will have to get the body shop to take photos and send them to Mazda" was the response.Apparently I have to make an appointment ( Friday ) for the photos to be taken. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline neal

• Sports Class
  • MPS motorway prowling service
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:15 PM »
Standard procedure. Mazda should get back to them in a week or two. Same happened when I reported my corroding alloys.

Offline Cosmic Debris

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Standard procedure. Mazda should get back to them in a week or two. Same happened when I reported my corroding alloys.

Well
Photos taken and paint thickness measurement carried out (Twice) once by dealership ( Machargs Glasgow ) who then sent me to Arnold Clarks bodyshop for a quote.
Bodyshop guy recommends 3 new wings and full re spray of one complete side,cant see it happening though as it has to go to Mazda for clearance and would imagine it to be quite an expensive repair.
While I was at the dealership I had a look at the new Mazda 3 which surprise surprise has additional coating and a cover strip to the inner wheel arch webs.
Fair play to Mazda for rectifying the problem but it just proves that a problem exists.
Get your inner wheel arches checked folks,particularly the rear ones.
Any update on the Corroding Alloys would be appreciated as when I was informed a year ago that I didnt stand a chance with Mazda the body shop guy recommended that I should chance my arm with a letter to Mazda.

Offline britbear

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
Same problem with 323 as well. It should have a 6 year paint warranty so tell them that.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I'm actually an owner of a 323 for the last 6+ yrs and am seriously looking at changing to a Mazda3. Very interested to read this thread about rusting rear wheel arches, because like the above poster I have had the same problem on my 323. I had it "fixed" by my local dealer last summer just before the 6 year warranty expired, but then I noticed last month that the rust was back with a vengeance on both sides. I spoke to the dealer who effectively admitted (a) that they only did the repair that Mazda authorised, which was to sand down and respray, (b) that a "correct" repair would have involved removing some kind of panel to access some area that is hard to reach, and (c) there was technically no warranty on the work they did because any work done under the 6 year warranty is only guaranteed until the expiry of the said warranty, and since the warranty had expired by the time Mazda decided to approve the repair, there was no warranty on the work! Imagine how pleased I was to hear that! Anyway, I've taken this higher with the local dealer and am waiting to see what they have to say about it.

Does anyone know if at some point in the life of the Mark I Mazda3 some change came in to sort out the rusting wheel arch problem? I see another poster has noted that there is extra protection on the Mark II. And I've also been told by my local dealer that around 07 reg Mazda brought in a change to rectify the corroding alloy issue (which I've also had on my 323 - looked like the wheels had some infectious skin condition!) But did they go the extra mile to sort out the rusting wheel arches on the Mark I?

Thanks for any advice.  :)

Offline Cosmic Debris

• S Class
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 11:01:23 PM »
After a phone call from Machargs Glasgow confirming that after 2 sets of photos taken that Mazda had agreed to repair my 3 wings I received a call today informing me that they had changed their mind and were only willing to paint the two rear arches with "a black material" and were refusing to repair the front wing corrosion which I can only describe as a bubble beginning to appear.
Considering my car is Metallic Silver I find this nothing short of pathetic and will endeavour to take this matter further.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline britbear

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
That's interesting. I've just taken my 323 to the dealer that did the "repair" last year for some photos to be taken. I have now found out that they originally applied to Mazda UK to put new wheel rims on my car, but that was turned down and Mazda only authorised the superficial sand-and-spray repair. Then when the dealer did this repair and put the claim into Mazda, Mazda failed to pay up!

This does not put Mazda UK in a good light. They must know that corrosion is a common problem on rear wheel arches. But they seem only willing to get the car through the warranty period, even if it means doing a half-baked repair. I feel cheated by Mazda, although it would appear that my dealer has done the best by me that they could. I wait to see what they are going to do about the rust now.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »