Author Topic: The Mazda 3 Fuel Economy Thread  (Read 306521 times)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: The Mazda 3 Fuel Economy Thread
« Reply #825 on: July 10, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »

New PB...not bad given again I'm not hypermiling. So achieved 3 up with a boot full of crap travelling at NSL+. Also climate control and a/c on whole time.

Trip computer only said 44.4mpg oddly but it gets pessimistic if you get stuck in traffic a bit i find.

Tbf I could have cheated on this one and filled up mid week so there would have been no round the the doors in involved at which point I suspect it would have been nudging 47-48 but given the official figure is 43 for this car I'll take that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:32:33 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #826 on: August 01, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »
I'm recently back from holiday in the West Country and my gen-1 1.6 petrol (just me in it, but laden with suitcase, full rucksack, provisions [self-catering holiday] and golf bag and trolley [full boot]) managed to achieve around the 44mpg mark on Ron95.  Not bad for a 13yo car (essentially the same as 10 years+ ago), including mooching around Cornwall on many country lanes as well as the mainly motorway/dual carriageway (at 70mph most of the time) journey there and back, with the A/C on throughout. Still averaging about 40.5mpg over the long term, similar to StevenRB45's car.  Just shows how decent an engine it is in the long term, especially when well looked after.

Unlike many of the latest cars on sale today, those from the late 90s and up to around/just after 2010 often seem to exceed their expected (official) mpg, even in mixed driving.

Offline andyl

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #827 on: September 03, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Recently saw on the ( slightly optimistic ) fuel computer 59.9 mpg running on A roads and a bit of urban.

I have had it in the past when an older diesel engine gets more economical. My wife's 2004 Honda Accord had almost 140K on the clock after 3 years and on a 70mph motorway cruise was returning 64 mpg!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #827 on: September 03, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »