Author Topic: The Mazda 3 Fuel Economy Thread  (Read 297324 times)

Offline DaveF352

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Re: The Mazda 3 Fuel Economy Thread
« Reply #810 on: February 27, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
Hello all. I’m thinking of joining the Mazda 3 clan and have my eyes  on a 2015 2.0 SEL-Nav. Can anyone advise me on likely mileage per tank please?
The salesman initially said 350 miles per tank, which works out to roughly 31mpg I think....however when I asked again he came back with 622 miles which seems excessive....however that was based on the official Mazda mpg figures they quote. Real world is going to be somewhere between and obviously all depends on how you drive and the types of roads.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:26:38 PM by DaveF352 »

Offline Alfisto

• Takara Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #811 on: February 28, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
I've got a 2016 2.0 litre 120 ps and I get about 400/430 general running. If it's all local stuff then down to about 380

Offline hanix

• Takara Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #812 on: February 28, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
General motoring I get about 42 mpg on Tesco Momentum fuel. My 1.25 Fiesta returns about 37 mpg for the same sort of motoring.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #813 on: February 28, 2019, 11:37:08 AM »
Hello all. I’m thinking of joining the Mazda 3 clan and have my eyes  on a 2015 2.0 SEL-Nav. Can anyone advise me on likely mileage per tank please?
The salesman initially said 350 miles per tank, which works out to roughly 31mpg I think....however when I asked again he came back with 622 miles which seems excessive....however that was based on the official Mazda mpg figures they quote. Real world is going to be somewhere between and obviously all depends on how you drive and the types of roads.
The Honest John real mpg site is really useful for this kind of information (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/3-2014). I am not certain, though, whether people who submit always use the brim-to-brim method for their data or whether they are reporting what the car's display tells them. My display consistently reports 3-4 mpg higher than the brim-to-brim checks. Others may find theirs match more closely, I don't know. I trust the Honest John page not so much because of the name but because the MPG figures stated there match my own fairly closely for the two cars for which I have my own data. I imagine the average from a range of users is likely to be closer to the 'truth' than individual results from two or three owners submitted on a form. MPG for the same model can vary quite wildly between individuals, dependent on a whole range of factors, as I am sure you are already aware.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #814 on: February 28, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »
I too use the HJ website (an have been a member there for over 15 years) and the 'Real mpg' details are a better aggregated average figure than the manufacturers give.  I've given the data for my (older) car on that site and do use the 'brim-to-brim' method.

Bear in mind (OP) that as it's an average, you'll need to add or subtract a percentage (max of 20% in extreme cases) if you don't do a reasonable 'mix' of urban and motorway type driving.  I would generally say that most people using that model will get somewhere in the 38-47mpg range.  As others have said, trip computers mostly over-estimate the mpg by up to 5%, sometimes 10% if you're unlucky. Trip computers' figures are really only a guide.

What you can get out of a tank, other than the type of driving you do and how you actually drive the car (heavy or light footed makes a large difference, including with the brakes), really does depend on how far you're prepared to go once the low fuel warning light comes on.  For the avaergae figure of about 43mpg and a 51 litre tank, you, in theory could get about (average) 480 miles out of it if you completely emptied it.  Obviously that wouldn't be very good for the engine and unsafe if it happened whilst doing 70+ on the motorway (trust me, I know - it happened to me in my previous car when I forgot my warning light was on and ran out of fuel on the A1).

Assuming you'd get fuel roughly when the warning light goes on (somewhere between 5 and 7 litres [35 - 60 miles] of fuel left is my guess), that probably means you could get about 420 - 430 miles out of a tank on average.  About 370 - 380 miles in winter (ave) and about 450 - 470 miles in warmer weather (ave).  I get about 40.5mpg out of my old gen-1 1.6 petrol (better than most) and about the same miles as I've quoted above, but that's because my car has a 55 litre fuel tank, and the gen-3 car only has a 51 litre tank.

I'm sure if you tootle around on a nice flat, empty motorway/dual carriageway at 50-55 in top on a warm (not hot - no A/C required) day with just you in the car, you could get 50mpg out of your car.  But certainly NOT the 622 miles the dealer quotes.  The 1.5 diesel could on a nice long run with little traffic.  Unfortunately, Mazda diesels don't have anywhere near as good a reputation for reliability as their petrol counterparts (rotary engine aside), though that is complicated by them being used too often for short trips from cold and people not realising the DPF is actively regenerating and they turn off the engine because they've reached their destination, the problems associated are well documented on HJ's site in the Good & Bad section of the car's review.  No such problems with the petrol version.

Only get a diesel if it's got a FSH from a reputable main dealer (some can be dodgy) and the dealer will warrant the DPF for at least a year, but also only get one if the type of driving warrants one - predominantly long trips (20 miles+) on faster flowing roads so its always warmed up so that the DPF can passively regen as much as possible.  If you do go for one, make sure when you reach your destination on each trip that you NEVER turn the engine off straight away - open the door and try and see if you can smell a burning smell coming from under the car - if so, the DPF is actively regenrating and you'll need to keep driving (around) until it is finished - this could be between 10 and 15 mins.  This is the reason why modern diesels (of nearly all makes) are not suited to predominantly urban driving/short trips from cold - their DPFs can easily/quickly clog up and eventually have to be replaced when cleaning methods don't work.  The Mazda diesels (especially the 2.2) also has had problems associated with this when diesel used to burn off the particluates in the DPF (active regen) is not fully used (e.g. when stopping the car) and it sinks into the oil sump, contaminating the oil and raising its level.  Again, not good for the car.

Basically, if you don't do 20k+ miles a year and/or you do most driving on local slow speed roads (short trips from cold), then buy a petrol version - the mpg penalty won't be as high because diesels don't warm up quickly and thus won't do so well on short trips, they (mostly) cost more to buy and due to their reliability issues, cost more in maintenance than the petrol versions.

Offline DaveF352

• S Class
« Reply #815 on: February 28, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »
The Honest John real mpg site is really useful for this kind of information (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/3-2014). I am not certain, though, whether people who submit always use the brim-to-brim method for their data or whether they are reporting what the car's display tells them. My display consistently reports 3-4 mpg higher than the brim-to-brim checks. Others may find theirs match more closely, I don't know. I trust the Honest John page not so much because of the name but because the MPG figures stated there match my own fairly closely for the two cars for which I have my own data. I imagine the average from a range of users is likely to be closer to the 'truth' than individual results from two or three owners submitted on a form. MPG for the same model can vary quite wildly between individuals, dependent on a whole range of factors, as I am sure you are already aware.

I always used to use the HJ site as my car buying bible but recently it seems full of pop up adverts telling me I’ve won an iPhone or similar and the site just doesn’t load on my iPad that I’ve given up on it. I’ve got pop ups turned off and don’t get them on any other site.

Offline DaveF352

• S Class
« Reply #816 on: February 28, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I thought 622 was slightly optimistic from the dealer.
I’m going for a petrol one anyway, although the diesel economy is better I don’t do enough miles to justify a 2.2 diesel.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #817 on: February 28, 2019, 05:57:25 PM »
Aye; the switch between open road driving and urban driving is quite stark. The 'miles left' indicator on my dash generally moves roughly in line with my 'miles used' indicator throughout most of the week when I am commuting on mainly A and M roads. Suddenly the 'miles left' indicator falls off a cliff over the weekend when I am mainly doing short journeys and on more urban roads. My highest recorded MPGs have all been on family holidays where most of the miles on a tank full have been coasting on motorways. In those instances the brim-to-brim has typically been 4 or 5mpg higher than average despite ferrying three additional bodies and a boot stuffed to the brim with crap essential holiday wares.

As an aside, the point Engineer Andy makes about not ignoring the fuel warning light is a good one. It's a bit annoying that there is clearly several litres left in the tank when the 'miles left' indicator is getting perilously close to zero but I always top up either as soon as it does or a little before if I can these days. I went through a phase where I refilled weekly and only ever topped up to half way on the assumption that I was generally ferrying less weight (in fuel on board) around that way and thus my car was being more efficient. However, I read about the possibility of sediment at the bottom of the fuel tank and had a re-think. It reminded me of a time some 35 years ago when the family car ended up running on fumes during a long journey out in the sticks and after we topped up it started hesitating (mis-firing?) occasionally. Although we had the fuel lines flushed to try and sort it out the car was never the same after that. Of course, the two things may not even be connected but these days I would rather not take the unnecessary risk.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
Re: MPG update
« Reply #818 on: March 01, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Hello All,
Not been on for a year, so thought I’d update you with my latest mpg figures.

Mileage : 24,092
Mpg : 43.5 (dash readout and not changed since new)
istop saving : 72.5 mpg
Currently 60% motorway and 40% urban

Not sure if it’s helpful to anyone, but there it is anyway
Regards to all,
google09

43.5 That's good.
Mine has been on 39.8 for months, although did go up to 44 after a long drive. It does depend on where I'm driving.
It's around town at home at the moment.
I usually drive at a steady 60mph on the motorway etc (I believe that's the sweet spot?)
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #819 on: March 01, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I thought 622 was slightly optimistic from the dealer.
I’m going for a petrol one anyway, although the diesel economy is better I don’t do enough miles to justify a 2.2 diesel.

Good thinking.  BTW - if you want to access the Honest John website without getting all the ads (at least on a desktop/laptop computer), using ad/popup blockers.  I use Firefox as my browser and have uBlock origin, AdGuard Adblocker and Ghostery (free) add-ons to stop ads (including popups/unders) and tracking respectively.  Works very well unless you have an older/slower computer; with a tablet, again, age of unit and performance can make a big difference - my 'old' Galaxy Tab 3 is a little slow, but the HJ website (I don't use the phone version) work reasonably well with those adblockers on the same browser (Android version).  I suspect Chrome has some similar apps/add-ons.

With these, all the rubbish ads go.

Offline Coypars

• TS Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #820 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »
Just drove from Elgin to fife and a mixture of A and motorway roads averaged 45 so quite good from a 2.0 petrol automatic.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #821 on: April 30, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
I've been monitoring my 1.6 d TS2 (59 plate) using brim-to-brim for 15 months now (recording using the 'Fuelio' app). The average over that time is 50.6mpg - not far of the figure reported in the Honest John real mpg page (49.5). It has been fairly typical to see 48 - 50 over the coldest months and 51 - 52 over the warmest ones. The average is probably raised very slightly by the odd long journey I have done on motorways and steady A-roads, where the MPG at re-fill was typically mid fifties. The highest I have recorded over a full tank was 57.89. I've varied a lot between supermarket stuff and BP/Shell premium diesels with no obvious correlation with changes in mpg at the next re-fill. That said, I don't think I've filled up with premium fuels consecutively enough times to have minimised contamination from the previous cheap stuff. I'm not attuned with my car enough  to tell whether there has been any variation in 'performance' (engine note, lumpiness, responsiveness). There was a period where it seemed to hesitate upon first leaving the house in the morning but I don't think it coincided with any particular fuel.

I've also tried a number of other changes over that time too, so it would be impossible to attribute any changes, perceived or otherwise, directly to fuel anyhow. I had a generic remap four months in, a terraclean three months after that, used Redex, Millers Ecomax, ZX1 Extralube, and two-stroke engine oil in the fuel tank, as well as ZX1 Extralube in the oil. None of which made any perceptible difference either to the fuel economy or the general running (except the remap, which has improved acceleration in the mid range and higher up quite noticeably). I also put a bottle of Wynn's DPF cleaner in the fuel tank three weeks back and the only perceptible effect of that was a complete shutdown twice in quick succession as I accelerated hard off a roundabout on the way in to work a couple of days later. Dunno what that was about but it hasn't happened again since, thankfully.

Of course, none of this provides any indication what differences are happening on the insides in terms of gunk build-up and wear-and-tear.
Just to update that since I posted last - just over a year ago - my average fuel economy has risen to 52.3 (i.e over the full 29 months of ownership since I started recording). My last five tankfuls have all been in the mid to high fifties and even over winter there have tended to be more low fifties than late forties. I attribute this mainly to lowering my cruising speed by 2-3mph on the 8 miles or so of national speed limit motorway on outward and return legs of my commute. I used to set the cruise control right on the 70mph mark but now generally leave it in the space between that and the 65mph one. My urban driving remains the same as always and a few miles to work and back are 50mph stretches, where I keep the needle right on the 50 mark. It's possible that the Millers Ecomax I have been using more regularly plays a small role but it is more likely to be the slightly lower average speed. I do tend to let speed build up naturally when heading downhill and try to read the road ahead to minimise braking or complete stops, but this has always been the case and not changed over the past 14 months.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #822 on: May 16, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »
My petrol is still nice and healthy apparently given theres exactly 4 years between "last" and "best".

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #823 on: May 17, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Nice mpg app Steven - what's it on?  I just made up a spreadsheet for mine on Excel: it work fine but isn't so nice looking as yours.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #824 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
It's just the Fuelly website viewed on my phone (click my signature for the full version). It's handy because I can literally update it on the forecourt.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #824 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »