Author Topic: Willing to share my vast insurance knowledge with anyone that needs it!  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Rory Joe

• S Class
Heya everyone! After my introductory thread, I thought it would be worthwhile heading to this section.

I've got 5 years experience now in one of the leading and most successful insurance companies in the UK, and have worked across both the renewals side and claims side of car insurance and built up alot of experience in this time. I've also taken up underwriting tasks in the past, deciding who gets kicked out at renewal due to bad claims history, and other reasons. I've noticed alot of people have theories on insurance companies, many are true and many are false and it's often hard to believe or verify the information you are being told.

So I'd just like to let you all know that you can post any questions surrounding insurance you may have in this thread, any queries or anything and I'll be happy to offer you advice to the best of my knowledge - of course I can't comment on things like whether or not you need to need to advise a specific company of a certain modification as every company has a different policy in regards to modifications (as a general rule of thumb, tell them EVERTHING, you can never give too much information!), but I'm here for any general questions you may have!

Thanks.

Offline wilko42

• MPS Class
  • Proud to be a Lincolnshire yellowbelly !!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Re: Willing to share my vast insurance knowledge with anyone that needs it!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the offer, will bear it in mind.

BTW welcome to the forum
2015 Sport Nav 2.2D 150PS.
Pearl white metallic.
Safety pack fitted.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
OK; a question that has intrigued for some time. How do assessors come by the blame % descision for an incident and then negotiate up or down.
My daughter had a problem a year or so back in which she was run into from behind. The first offer was 50/50 which we refused then 30/ 70 in her favour which we again refused due to circumstances of the accident. This then went to court and she got total blame from the magistrate. Seems the pitch ain't level ??
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Cheers for the invite. I am sure people will have questions for you.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline carlosnewry

• Sports Class
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
hi and welcome. im getting my question in quick as im sure this will fill up pretty quick. im fully comp under my own name, am i insured to drive any other car providing it has fully comp also. that was always the way i understood it, but my sister and a few others have said that no your not allowed to at any time. does that depend on the insurance company?. also can you explain motor traders insurance. i have worked in bodyshop for years and im at the min getting into mobile smart repairs, so id need a van as well as my car, can both be put on the same policy id also be getting into starting my own bodyshop at some stage so id need it. just not sure how it works. thanks mate

Offline Rory Joe

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
OK; a question that has intrigued for some time. How do assessors come by the blame % descision for an incident and then negotiate up or down.
My daughter had a problem a year or so back in which she was run into from behind. The first offer was 50/50 which we refused then 30/ 70 in her favour which we again refused due to circumstances of the accident. This then went to court and she got total blame from the magistrate. Seems the pitch ain't level ??

Normally what will happen in this situation... well, first of all the decision is heavily affected by independant witnesses (i.e. surrounding pedestrians, people in vehicles that were not involved in the crash etc.).

It's remarkable how that didn't go in your favour though. The highway code clearly states you need adequate stopping distance in case the vehicle in front brakes sharply regardless of reason. In nearly 90% of "into the rear" cases, the person who goes into the back of you will be held at fault, as they were either not allowing the adequate stopping distance, did not move in such a way as to avoid the collision, or did not effectively use the braking mechanism to stop the vehicle in time.

The time that complications may arise is, say for example if you were to pull out of a minor road onto a major road, and a vehicle travelling along a major road goes into the back of you because you'd literally just left the major road and hadn't got up to speed yet. Of course we all know that when pulling out of a junction you should only pull out when safe to do so and when you pull out you shouldn't force anyone already proceeding down the major road to brake. It would be unreasonable, say, to hold someone at fault who was travelling down a major road, you pull out, and they end up shunting your rear because they were doing 30mph whilst you were doing between 5-10mph after leaving the junction. It's a tricky one to make the final decision on without independant witnesses.

Often though, the Liability percentage these days is decided by previous cases that have gone to court. We have a database of previous court cases explaining the accident circumstances, who's favour the liability went in, and the percentage liability etc. - and we'll look for a case that's near enough identical to the incident that occured and work it out that way and produce the evidence in our favour to the third party's insurers to pursuade them into settling without going to court.

I'd be keen to know more about the accident circumstances though. If your daughter was stopped at lights for example, and someone went straight into the back of her, there's obviously something seriously wrong with the judge's decision!

hi and welcome. im getting my question in quick as im sure this will fill up pretty quick. im fully comp under my own name, am i insured to drive any other car providing it has fully comp also. that was always the way i understood it, but my sister and a few others have said that no your not allowed to at any time. does that depend on the insurance company?. also can you explain motor traders insurance. i have worked in bodyshop for years and im at the min getting into mobile smart repairs, so id need a van as well as my car, can both be put on the same policy id also be getting into starting my own bodyshop at some stage so id need it. just not sure how it works. thanks mate

Hi! The "Driving Other Cars" (DOC) extension under your policy may or may not exist. You need to ask your insurer. NEVER take the chance. Risking it will get you an IN10 conviction on your licence and a ban, and will make getting insurance in the future very tricky as most companies won't touch you, and for the ones that do, they'll charge a hell of a lot of cash. Always check with your insurance company as many companies no longer offer this any more as it's vastly open to abuse. We had a policy before with a low level super mini (I forget which), and the owner was regularly driving a Porsche 911 under the policy, registered to his own name. There are many restrictions with the facility if it does exist, often the car must be registered to someone else other than yourself (to prevent you driving your own Porsche under a policy for a Ford Fiesta, lol!), also it's usually third party only (if you are at fault, you get absolutely nothing for the car you are driving. If you write it off, you'll be forking out the cash for a replacement car for whoever owns it). No insurance company likes paying out for these type of claims and most will investigate them thoroughly, and they won't like to hear you've been regularly driving someone else's car without a proper level of cover. I'd say to be on the safe side, IF your insurance company does offer it, leave your use to once in a blue moon for genuine, legitimate reasons (taking a friends car home if they've been drinking and you are sober, using the vehicle to take someone to hospital etc). For general use, it's just not worth it. Get yourself added as a named driver :) Something worth noting though, for all the brands of the company that I work for, we only offer DOC to over 25's if they are eligible (there are other factors that determine eligibility) and we would NOT offer cover to someone working in the motor trade as unfortunately due to the vast number of vehicles at their disposal, it's just far too high a risk to offer this cover.

As for motor traders policies - unfortunately we only offer private motor insurance so I'm not the best one to ask on that subject, as I'm not going to lie - I have absolutely no idea about traders policies!

Hope this has been of some help :)

Thanks for the offer, will bear it in mind.

BTW welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. Cheers for the invite. I am sure people will have questions for you.

Thanks both!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »
Very good information. Thankyou. I can see that you are going to be a very "active"  member.    :D
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
She was pulling into a marked center zone after a series of x hatches indicating a turn right; guy behind tried to overtake and raninto the rear drivers quarter. I thought it was open/shut case as he had entered x hatched area and overtaken opposite a junction !

Edith Sitwell

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
Welcome Rory Joe. I am sure you will be quite busy on here now  ;)

Your like our very own Confused.com lol
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »

65% off best quote wasn't it ??   ;D ;D

Edith Sitwell

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
Sounds good, a personal broker............................ Now when's my renewal?? ;)
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline Rory Joe

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Very good information. Thankyou. I can see that you are going to be a very "active"  member.    :D

No probs, thanks Will! :)

She was pulling into a marked center zone after a series of x hatches indicating a turn right; guy behind tried to overtake and raninto the rear drivers quarter. I thought it was open/shut case as he had entered x hatched area and overtaken opposite a junction !

That's crazy. I'm not really sure what to say! Clearly she wasn't at fault. Must have been one nutty judge that day!

Yeah, I get the feeling I'm going to be busy with this thread in particular lol :)

One thing to add - don't wanna see any "HOW DO I GET / CAN YOU GET ME CHEAP CAR INSURANCE PLZZZ??????" questions cos I get MORE enough of it from my friends - hahaha! :P

Offline carlosnewry

• Sports Class
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »
thanks for getting back so soon and so much detail on a sunday night. as for driving other cars it would only be once in a blue moon, like today had to clean out my brother in laws jeep so took it down to my house and left it back, only silly wee trips like that. but i always took for granted i was ok, but ill look into it as it wouldn be worth getting caught. i was advised to do the whole fiesta porsce thing when i was getting my first car, gladly i didnt do it, im far to chicken and would get caught out right away

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »
You only getting a leg pull; welcome to the forum you should enjoy it. I reckon your popularity rating will hit 50 quite soon   ;D ;D

As for the judge I reckon you are correct !

Edith Sitwell

Offline Rory Joe

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
thanks for getting back so soon and so much detail on a sunday night. as for driving other cars it would only be once in a blue moon, like today had to clean out my brother in laws jeep so took it down to my house and left it back, only silly wee trips like that. but i always took for granted i was ok, but ill look into it as it wouldn be worth getting caught. i was advised to do the whole fiesta porsce thing when i was getting my first car, gladly i didnt do it, im far to chicken and would get caught out right away

No worries mate it's my pleasure. It's best not to take the risk. It absolutely sucks having to buy insurance, no one wants to, it's one of those things we'd all love to not have to pay (I sure as hell could do with not seeing that money go to waste every year, though I'm sure I'll be grateful if/when I have my first accident!). Like I said though, check out with your insurance company and also if they do offer it, reiterate that you work in the motor trade just to make sure that it doesn't cause any complications.

The worst part of it is though, approx 10% of insurance premium that everyone pays goes towards contributing from the loss made by uninsured drivers... that's about £50 a year from me :(

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »