Author Topic: How to remove and paint Mazda badges / emblems  (Read 42879 times)

Offline MPS Power

• MPS Class
How to remove and paint Mazda badges / emblems
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Not a new mod but hopefully this will help anyone wanting to remove the standard chrome badges and then re-paint them a certain colour.

Tools – Flat headed screwdriver, dental floss / fishing line, hairdryer, rubber baby spoon, goo gone, car shampoo, masking tape, fine grit sandpaper, toothbrush, knife, paint, mask.

To remove...

The front flying “M” is held on by clips.  Open the bonnet and then use a torch if required to see each of the clips and unclip using a flathead screwdriver, slowly.  I found it easiest to start with two sides then the top clip.

The rear “Mazda” badge is only held on by 3 pins that fit into 3 plugs, get some dental floss behind the emblem on the left side and gently pull towards yourself until it pops out. Repeat on the other side but be careful, don’t pull too hard or it might break! Finally, get the floss right up against the pin in the middle and gently pull the entire badge away. 

The rear flying “M” has adhesive and 2 pins, the “3”, rear and side “mps” badges are all held on with double sided tape/adhesive.   Heat with a hair dryer and then take some floss and slowly guillotine the adhesive off.  A rubber baby spoon is very useful to run around the edges as it safely detaches the badge without damage.  You can then use some goo gone to remove any remaining glue/adhesive, then wash/wax the affected to achieve an even finish over the entire panel.

To paint...

Most car manufacturers use a two-step electro plated base copper with the final chrome finish electro plated aluminium.  Cheap supermarket bleach promotes corrosion (chlorine) and does not harm the original abs plastic making the job easy.

Put a badge into a plastic Tupperware dish, fill with bleach so it is bathing and leave until the bleach turns black. Remove badge, use a toothbrush, cloth or blunt knife and gently rub the copper/chrome off. Soak in new bleach and repeat steps until you are left with the bluey-white plastic. It will take some time but this works extremely well.

If you still have any small amounts of copper or black spots, this can be scraped off with a craft knife and fine sanded with 1200 grit sandpaper in prep for painting. 

I used a grey primer, gloss black and clear laquer aerosols from Halfords although I have read good reviews about Krylon Camouflage paint or Plastikote.

Key the plastic with fine sandpaper; I used 2000 grit Tamiya R/C car finishing abrasive. 

Spray 2 light coats of primer onto the badge and sand in between coats.  Repeat with finish paint and then lacquer ensuring no dust settles between drying.  Indoor and warm is ideal.

Double sided r/c servo tape or similar is useful for re-attaching to the car.

Finished...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:49:13 PM by MPS Power »
08 True Red MPS Aero

Offline MPS Power

• MPS Class
Re: How to remove and paint Mazda badges / emblems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »
Other ideas could be the “batman” mod lol or a two tone scheme, gunmetal colour on silver looks pretty cool.

08 True Red MPS Aero

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Nice walk through mate.

I was not convinced on black badges until I saw your end pics.

Some of the lads have bought this 3M trim tape:- http://forumstore.appee.co.uk/product.php?catid=7
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline sdg 3mps

• Super Ultimate Class
  • You would'nt like me when i'm angry ! hehe
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »
Love the batman one ! givin me a phew idea's  ;D

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »
Love the red and black emblem mate. Looks sweeeeeet!
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »
Very nicely done!!! I love the batman one!  ;)

Offline big_hairy_si

• TS2 Class
  • They see me rollin', they hatin'
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »
Great walkthrough - very thorough and the pics were great too.  Loving the black badges against the red bodywork.

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
Have you painted your exhaust black too??  ;) ;) ;)  Check out your last pic lol!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:47:28 PM by a15cro »
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
I am going to try and recreate the Batman badge and if its succesful, produce them for sale. Is there an intrest. I am also considering having a stock of blacked out badges for those who wants a quick mod without the hassle of painting ect.

All badges will be pre-taped ready for application. Unsure of prices at the minute, depends on the cost of the badges.

Feedback welcome.

Offline chrispy

• Sports Class
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
a15cro I think you're onto a winner there. I paid way too much for my black badges and doing them yourself may be easy, but it's still a lengthy process, especially if you strip the chrome plating. Black badges on red or white 3s look great though, especially in conjunction with other black bits, like side indicators and reflectors 
True Red Mazda 3 2.0 Sport

Offline ritdaw

• Sports Class
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
I am going to try and recreate the Batman badge and if its succesful, produce them for sale. Is there an intrest. I am also considering having a stock of blacked out badges for those who wants a quick mod without the hassle of painting ect.

All badges will be pre-taped ready for application. Unsure of prices at the minute, depends on the cost of the badges.

Feedback welcome.

How about offering cruise control fitting and brake caliper painting? :p

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:52 PM »

Feedback welcome.

How about offering cruise control fitting and brake caliper painting? :p

Well I am not one to miss out on an oportunity.........only problem is distance!

Offline ritdaw

• Sports Class
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
Well I am not one to miss out on an oportunity.........only problem is distance!

Perhaps if you can find some people willing in different areas of the country and nominate them.... Having said that, it sounds like a logistical nightmare!

I'm just trying to get someone else to do all the hard work for me because I would probably screw it up!

Offline big_hairy_si

• TS2 Class
  • They see me rollin', they hatin'
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »

Feedback welcome.

I'd be interested for sure!

Offline Jay

• Sports Class
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »

Feedback welcome.

definatly want one, saw the batman logo on the american 3 forum, and wanted one instantly. he requires you to send him your badges off your car, just alot of people had been waiting months for them back.
reason why i didnt just buy some on a u.s.a ebay and have them directed to his house

if you can do them for my 3 sport, id appriciate it ;D

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »