Author Topic: TWM Short Shifter Review  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
TWM Short Shifter Review
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
I've been planning this one for a while - but had to wait for my buddy to go on holiday to the US and then wait for him to come back with the kit!

I went for Kit #1 which includes short shifter, shifter base bushings and leather boot.  Total price was $191.50 delivered to my buddy - thanks to the good £-$ rate at the time I bought it came to approx £100.

The base bushings can be bought on their own and basically stiffen up the shifter feel by removing the play between the shifter base and chassis as a result of Mazda using flexable rubber bushings.

The boot is needed as the short shifter reduces the height of the knob by 2.5" and causes the OEM boot to scrunch up.  It is also nice to have a decent leather boot with some red stiching!  Read more here:

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/mazdashortshifters/mazda3shortshifters.htm

Fitting:
The kit came with very good instructions for fitting the knob and boot and it was a simple case of just following them.  I got a mate round to give me a hand as some parts are much easier with two people.  It took about 45 minutes to take the centre console apart, remove the old shifter, replace with TWM part and then put the console back together.  If I ever need to for warranty etc I could easily return the OEM part in the same amount of time.

First Impressions:
I took the car for a spin straight after installing the shifter and it felt very odd to start.  Shifting required more effort as the throw had been reduced.  The shifter feel was much better - more notchy and it gives a much more sporty/high quality feel.  There is little play in the shifter also due to the aluminium shift base bushings.

1 Week On:
I am now used the TWM shifter and like it more every time I drive.  I have got used to the extra effort required to shift and don't notice it any more.  I really like the lower look of the knob and the improved gaiter.  I was worried the red stiching would look a little tacky but I think it looks quite smart as it is subtle.  Very happy with the mod and would recommend it to other 3 owners :D

Photos:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:17:02 AM by Daveg »
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
Re: TWM Short Shifter Fitted
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »
Kudos to you but that just looks plain wrong!

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »
Kudos to you but that just looks plain wrong!

Do you mean because of it's stumpyness?  When we went to screw the knob back on we both looked at each other and laughed because of how low it was.  I've got used to it now though and like the way it looks  :)
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:58:36 PM »
Do you mean because of it's stumpyness?
Yes

Offline Benn

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »
didnt fancy a leather one? if they do them...
2.0L Sport Saloon, Winning blue, Leather

Backbox Delete, Painted Calipers, Subwoofers, Compressed Shifterbase Bushings, Advanced Timing Mod, X-Car link Ipod Interface, Blue Map lights.

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »
A leather gear knob?  I actually like the stock one and it is very heavy which is a bonus when combined with the short shifter.
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline Benn

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »
ive got a stock leather one, i much prefer it over the one in the TS spec i drove.

But.... i wanted to replace the little plastic cap on the top of mine (showing a bit of wear) and the dealer said they could only replace the entire gear knob and quoted me £160 or something for the part  :-\

Backbox Delete, Painted Calipers, Subwoofers, Compressed Shifterbase Bushings, Advanced Timing Mod, X-Car link Ipod Interface, Blue Map lights.

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:28:03 AM »
Is it the leather gear knob on this page?

http://www.mazda-accessories.com/acatalog/Mazda3_Interior_Styling.html

Only £43 + delivery for a new one.
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline Benn

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »
not stock, but looks quite similar, still sort of reluctant to pay £50 when all i want is the little plastic bit on the top of it  :-\

thanks for the link tho  :D

Offline Seaside S

• Sports Class
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »
 :P waits for the short knob gags !! lol

only prob i see is the center consol gets in the way as it is with the gear changing , but ok if you got lickle arms & lickle shaft  ;D
56 Mazda3 Sport 2.0, Icy Blue mica, Bose, Mazda alloy scuff plates ,Mps Rear Lip , Clear Foglight 

Offline Benn

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
yea ive noticed that even having a drink in one of the cup holders gets in the way of gear changing

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
Leather or not i think short shifter is the way to go. I modded my VRS by cutting the shifter 1inch shorter. looks odd but makes the drive feel a lot more sporty and more enjoyable! Great work mate, love this mod.

THe rxu has a really short shifter as well and i love it.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »