Author Topic: *HOW TO* Retro-fit blue ambient light on models without it  (Read 21564 times)

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
Re: *HOW TO* Retro-fit blue ambient light on models without it
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »
Dave nice mod,i already have one but is very dull,is it possible to fit in brighter bulb/led in there?

Don't see why not.  I highly recommend using the LED strip I suggested in the original post - it is nice and slim so fits in a treat.  I had originally tried with some other LEDs but they were too big.

How does your stock light work - is it a blue bulb with a white cover or a white bulb with a blue cover?  The seller sells both colour LED strips so you should be able to do a straight swap.  As a bonus you only use 3 LEDs from the strip, you can use the rest to do either mine or Neels mods:

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=2113.0
http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1541.0

Post some pics up if you decide to do it - PM me if you need any help :D
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 12:04:08 AM »
Thinking about it pop it open first and see what bulb/LED it is.  You may just be able to swap it out for an ultra bright LED bulb :D
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 12:26:06 AM »
I was thinking along the lines of matching blue LEDs over the ashtray and in the glovebox and white ones in the boot.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:30:59 AM by daiking »

Offline andypest

• Takara Class
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »
Anyone try this with manual ac controls, i would but having a problem trying to get the unit out.
Forum Stickers, Boot Light Mod, TWM Shifter Base Bushings, NGK Iridium Plugs, Piano Black Handbrake Handle, Gear Gate Surround, Gear Knob and Vent Trims

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »
Anyone try this with manual ac controls, i would but having a problem trying to get the unit out.

Guide to remove manual a/c click here.. it seems a lil bit more complicated than the Climate control unit..  :-\
2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
Andy,  check the last photo here:

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1843.0

You need to reach behind and press in the tabs to release the unit.  Is this the problem?
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline andypest

• Takara Class
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:45 PM »
Thanks for that neel and Dave.

From what i can see its the temp and air flow wires that doesn't let the unit come out far enough, if the wires had another ~15mm of length I would have been able to get to the e-clips that hold the wires in place then disconnect those wires without having to take half the dash apart and remove the PJB.  Will have another go when I can take my time on it, in the meantime ive tapped the leds into the ashtray light and have left it at the back of the ashtray shining out and it sure is bright. (dodgy phone pic taken mid-afternoon while there was still light)

What I was also thinking of if its possible to remove the fascia while the unit is still in the dash albeit pulled out as far as it will go without straining the wires??
Forum Stickers, Boot Light Mod, TWM Shifter Base Bushings, NGK Iridium Plugs, Piano Black Handbrake Handle, Gear Gate Surround, Gear Knob and Vent Trims

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »
Ah OK - I wasn't sure of the differences between the air-con and manual units.  Thats a good point though - you could just remove the fascia with the unit still in the car.  I presume it is held on with the four same clips, two at the top and two at the bottom?

Nice one with the ashtray light - the stock one is pants and that looks much better.  Might have to do that myself  ;)
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline andypest

• Takara Class
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 05:58:03 AM »
Well I had a bit of spare time yesterday to have a good look at the manual ac unit.  To remove it wiil have to be by getting at the PJB as per the removal instructions.

Guide to remove manual a/c click here.. it seems a lil bit more complicated than the Climate control unit..  :-\

While trying to remove the fascia with the unit in dash, it might be possible as from what i can see is it has the clips at the top similar to the auto unit, at the bottom it seems like there are also a couple of clips but not as easily accesible.  The biggest pain in the butt is the 4 screws (1 in each corner at the back of the unit).

Offline whittington

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Zeal Red Pearl (41G)
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
Dave nice mod,i already have one but is very dull,is it possible to fit in brighter bulb/led in there?

I see this is a fairly old topic, but i have also just discovered i have this light on my sports model, but it's so dim woulnot know it was there but for this forum. Did anybody ever get a brighter led to repelace existing lamp?
Mazda 3 - Venture 1.6 Diesel  Hatchback.
Only £30 road  tax my old 2.0ltr sport cost £180!!

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »
I have no idea what bulb is in there - if you feel brave and open it up and take a pic I'm sure we could find something brighter to replace it.
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline The Bun-yip

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »
Just found this thread. I like the "blue Atmosphere" but had better not indulge myself.

Apparently it would not be a good idea for us oldies.

http://www.lti.uni-karlsruhe.de/english/2543.php?PHPSESSID=34f3c4787b3042f9f2727a54ebe509fd

See conclusion at bottom right of page.

Offline GiZmO

• TS2 Class
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

Mobymg have you looked at the bulb yet? I have the blue light already and thinking of making it brighter like you...Once you have had a look can you let me know

Thanks bud

58 plate MPS areo, crystal white pearl, COBB SRI

Offline Mike33

• S Class
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »
Would wiring this to your AC controls mean it's on as soon as the engine is fired up? I really like this mod and think I'll be trying it out :D

Thanks for the post!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »