Author Topic: Aluminium Pedals Fitted  (Read 9103 times)

Offline chrispy

• Sports Class
Aluminium Pedals Fitted
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
Evening all,

I finally got time to fit the amazing aluminium pedals that sok07 from the US forum makes. For details of the pedals and to order your own set, please have a look here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=112958.0. The pedals come professionally packaged with all the screws, washers and locknuts you need to fit them. Sok07 makes them in his spare time, so there may be a short wait before you get your hands on them, but I think they are well worth the wait. They are great quality, thick aluminium and should last forever.

For anyone interested, I've documented the installation. Before I start, a quick disclaimer: Fitting these pedals involves drilling a total of six holes, two for each pedal, so before you drill, please make very sure you follow the usual safety precautions and remember to measure fifteen times and drill once. I fitted the pedals to a 57 plate Mazda 3 Sport and they went in a treat, fit to any other model at your own risk.

To fit the pedals, I used the following kit:

SAFETY GOGGLES
Large lump of Blu-tack
Pencil
Steel scribe
Steel centre punch
Hammer
Cordless Bosch drill
2mm HSS drill bit
4.5mm HSS drill bit
Philips head screw driver
9mm socket
Stanley knife
Nokia N95 for the pics

Right, below are the pedals and the fitting hardware:

This is what your standard pedals should look like, if yours are any different, proceed with caution:

The same pedals with the rubber pedal covers removed. These should just peel off, they are not glued on:

Test fit the new pedals by sticking them in place with big lumps of blu-tack or similar. Make sure that there is some material behind the hole locations so you don't end up drilling into thin air. For the accelerator pedal, make sure that the holes line up with gaps in the reinforcing ribs. The whole accelerator pedal is a single piece of injection moulded plastic with triangular ribs to strengthen it. With the pedals in place, push down on the whole thing to make sure they don't interfere with the carpet or other bits in the footwell. You should be able to do this with the clutch and accelerator pedal, the brake was fairly immovable on mine. Once you are happy with the location and alignment of the pedals and you are happy they don't interfere with anything, carefully mark the hole locations. I used a pencil for the accelerator pedal holes and a steel scribe for the clutch and brake pedals:

Once marked, the locations on my car looked a bit like this:

I used a steel centre punch to tap a hole into the centre of the markings. This means you can drill more easily without the drill skating on the metal. I used a small 2mm HSS drill bit to drill pilot holes first, then a 4.5mm bit to make the final holes. Before you drill, double check the hole locations, double check the centre punch holes and make sure you use a sharp HSS drill-bit. Also ensure that the size of drill you use is appropriate for the included fitting screws. Wear safety goggles, since the steel pedals tend to throw off little bits of swarf when drilling.

Having drilled the holes, fitting the pedals is very straightforward, although the accelerator pedal is a bit tricky. When I fitted mine, I discovered that I wasn't quite careful enough in making sure none of the reinforcing ribs were in the way, so I had to use a stanley knife to cut back one of the ribs. Luckily the plastic is quite soft and I only had to take out a small notch. It's very fiddly though since there is not a lot of room to get hands around the pedal. It's equally fiddly to get the washer and the locknut onto the back of the screw thread. Some people on the US forum have removed their accelerator pedal and fitted the new pedal outside the car, but if you have a little patience and nimble fingers it's not necessary. The clutch and brake pedals are easy, because everything is nice and accessible.

Here's what the pedals look like when fitted:

Sok07 is working on a footrest to match these pedals, and I will fit it as soon as it becomes available. Let me know what you think and let me know if you have any questions. I for one think these pedals look absolutely fantastic, way better than anything else I've seen. I've yet to drive the car with wet shoes to see how they perform, but the brushed finish strikes me as fairly slip resistant.

Cheers,
Chris.

True Red Mazda 3 2.0 Sport

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
Re: Aluminium Pedals Fitted
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »
Excellent work Chris, thanks for the write up!

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »
nice work mate. Good mod.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline MPS Power

• MPS Class
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:12:18 PM »
Looks so much better than the dull original rubber, good mod  8)
08 True Red MPS Aero

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »
Thaanks for the detailed pics.  I have always thought after market metal pedals looked a bit cheap - but these ones are nice and plain and look alright.

Dave
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline allanpug

• Sports Class
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:29:31 PM »
they look very nice, but i think that there not uk road legal as i think the brake and clutch are ment to have some sort of rubber grip or something to grip onto your shoes, even if im wrong, i think the bare metal would be dangerous with wet shoes

allan
sunlight silver 08 plate takara

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:29:31 PM »