Author Topic: MAZDA 3 SKY ACTIV G  (Read 386 times)

Offline Malaki

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2020
MAZDA 3 SKY ACTIV G
« on: September 25, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »
MAZDA 3, My neighbours have bought a 2ltr Automatic Skyactiv car brand new.

Due to ill health they cannot drive the car so I have been put on their insurance.

The car has now got 450 miles on and has been to the dealer and it has broken down 3 times so far.

The battery goes flat, sometimes in just 4 hours after driving it 20 miles in last instance.

Dealer says there is nothing wrong with it, Mazda say they cannot help it is the way it is being driven!

They now have to buy a trickle charger and have ordered a heavy duty battery, guess that is what happens when you spend over £24k on a car, should paid less for a second hand one.

So if you are thinking of buying one of these and not intending driving it 24 hours a day buy something else!😟

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: MAZDA 3 SKY ACTIV G
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »
I can understand your frustration in this situation, but I fail to see the purpose of joining this forum solely to vent your anger.

The reasons behind the performance of the car could be numerous and you have given no insight to this apart from your attack on the car.

You have not asked any questions, nor left the door open to any assistance.   

This is a Mazda community forum the members of which will usually try to help if they can. However you have made it difficult to do so. 

If you wish help for yourself, then start by being more forthcoming.

Mazda3forums Admin;
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 03:39:41 PM »
I can only imagine it is being left for significant periods, during which the battery may have drained past the point the alternator can charge it back up. If the voltage drops to the point the battery is discharged it is junk and will no longer take a charge.

Mine is only being used once or twice a week due to working from home and showing no ill effects. It has been left for 2-3 weeks multiple times without issue. The only thing I'm doing is if I do use it making sure it gets at least one reasonable run a week not a spin round the block to allow it to condition the battery.

Newer cars do have more computing power and do drain the battery more quickly than older ones used to but any car that is effectively laid up as it sounds like this one is should be either on a trickle charger or have the battery disconnected. It appears you've found that out the expensive way.

Otherwise what you've described will happen. Just think about what the battery has gone through. Assuming it's a brand new build, left the factory charged, onto a boat, sat for a few weeks, quick start up to move it off to be transported, then another, then probably another. Then however long it sat at the dealer who may charge their stock regular basis..but may not. Then off to it's owner to sit some more and do the odd short trip. No wonder it is on it's knees, if it's not a new build then add sitting in a field for weeks/months into that as well.

All cars use lead acid batteries pretty much so any brand of car would behave the same way given same care or lack of.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 07:26:53 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:06:02 PM »
I agree with Steven and Will - the most modern cars must be regularly used for a decent amount of regular driving, especially with long trips to ensure they keep fully charged up.  Even petrol-engined cars are now susceptable to short-trip/low usage problems, unlike before when it was mainly diesels with DPFs which were affected in a different way.

For the last 3 years, I've used my gen-1 car even less than usual (which was rarely in the ballpark of 10,000 miles pa), only 1500 - 3000 miles a year (including 750 - 1000 miles during my annual two week holiday), and have just about kept my battery going for the usual 4-5 year lifespan (I replaced it this summer when it expired).  To achieve this, I used it once every 2-3 weeks in warm (mainly dry) weather, once a fortnight in cooler, changeable weather in mid Spring and Autumn, and once a week in colder times of late Autum to early Spring.

I found that the battery will tollerate a 3-4 gap, but only once in a blue moon AFTER being previously regularly run more than once a week, and when the battery is literally brand new (which as Steven says, isn't when the car is new, given how long it is from manufacture in Japan to picking it up from the dealership).  Low usage otherwise will ineviably irreprably damage the battery.  Note that hybrids also suffer failures of the start-stop 'batteries' for similar reasons.  Both battery types are much more expensive than 'traditional' ones.

There is a proven problem with essentially all hybrid cars (which the Mazda3 gen-4 is, even if it's a mild hybrid) doing either short trips (meaning the battery drain on start-up is never replenished) or only the odd trip or two a month, meaning it will drain through the electrical systems that are still active when the car is not driven.  Even otherwise highly reliable cars such as from Toyota suffer similar problems.  It's one of the reasons why everyone should always be very careful when choosing the type of engine configuration for the type of driving pattern they do.

A trickle charger (make sure it is one that works with the Mazda system - some don't as they are designed for 'traditional' battery systems) is likely the best 'solution' if extra / longer trip driving is not possible / practical.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:06:02 PM »