Author Topic: My 2017 SP25 Astina  (Read 250 times)

Offline AussieAstina

• S Class
  • I've been there and back just to see how far it is
    • Lightly Cropped
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2017
My 2017 SP25 Astina
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
After a nine month gestation period mostly caused by the impact of Covid at DVSA and DVLA my (or technically my wife's) Soul Red Mazda 3 from Australia is finally registered and on the road in the UK. Shipping it back after our extended stay in Australia was an almost spur of the moment decision as we were finding it hard to sell before we left close to Christmas 2019. It seemed like a good idea at the time but has been fraught not only with delays but also lots of unexpected expense. Never again!
What we have though is probably unique in the UK. A 2.5L 185HP RHD Mazda 3 saloon. The SP25 Astina trim lacks some features from the UK Sport Nav of the same age - CD player, tyre pressure monitor and front parking sensors for example. It has a lot of other stuff packed in though that more than makes up - radar cruise control, sunroof, key-coded powered seat adjustment and a real spare wheel in the boot.
A DIY Apple/Android upgrade is probably on the cards soon.
Let's hope there are a few good weather days left in September to recapture that Australian sunshine feeling.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: My 2017 SP25 Astina
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »
Other than the lack of a CD player (though not the end of the world), that sounds like a spec I'd like, especially the full sized spare tyre.  How does the latter fit into the underboot area, given the UK version's hole for the space saver 'kit' isn't large enough for a full-sized tyre/wheel - if they changed the hole to take a full-sized tyre, then they should've done this in all regions, given the difference in weight between the two is minimal, probably saving a lot less than 0.5mpg or well under a gram of CO2/km.

My car's a RHD European import (from Cyprus) and has a different spec to the UK TS2 - the original had no CD player (but the space for one, which I had fitted because I saved £3.5k buying the car through a car supermarket [new]), stability or traction control, but had front foglamps.  At least mine had a spare tyre, even if it is a space-saver.

Offline AussieAstina

• S Class
  • I've been there and back just to see how far it is
    • Lightly Cropped
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
Ah, when I said 'a real spare wheel' I meant 'not a pressurised tube of gunk for fixing a leak'. The spare is a space saver, not a full size wheel and tyre. The UK equivalent car has no spare wheel at all, just a repair kit.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »