Author Topic: Front Brake Pads / Disks?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2015
Front Brake Pads / Disks?
« on: August 18, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
Finally taking my Mazda in for a service & MOT today. Thanks to COVID it is 2 - 3 months overdue.

I noticed on my last MOT the following notes:

• Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened Lipped (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened Lipped (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

I suspect I'll be needing new discs this time. I've felt the lip and I don't 'think' it is too serious. 2mm at most. So, do you think I'll be looking at new pads and discs?

After the MOT last year I got both rear sets of pads and discs replaced. But at the time they said that they were worse than the front.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:47:58 AM by Ste7en »

Offline hanix

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Re: Front Brake Pads / Disks?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what sort of mileage are you getting from your discs? If your front pads are still ok you might get away with another year, but would depend on your annual mileage I would think.

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
We don't do many miles. Around 7,000 a year (probably less this year).

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
It passed :) Bunch of new 'advisories' on our new MOT:

Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))

Notes from visual health check:

Brakes / Hubs:
Front pads 7mm, discs worn and lipped (cost: 363.23)
Both front brake pipes and OSR brake pipe corroding (cost 153.00)
Rear pads 8mm remaining 20% worn

So, that gives me 2 - 3 months to get front pads and discs done elsewhere (like I did with the tyres when they needed replacing). Hopefully I'll save enough to get the brake pipes done.

No idea which pads I should get though. I don't like them, but KwikFit have a 'Lifetime guarantee' on pads...

Offline Digga2607

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »
Not so much a reply as a query.
I purchased my 2017 Mazda3 Sport Nav on 31st January this year with two months warranty still on it.
Had to take it in to main dealers, last week, as near side wing mirror not retracting properly and, while there they did a free health check.
Came back with the news that my front brake discs needed replacing badly! Queried this as car had only done 26.5 thousand at time I bought it and, due to lock down, I had done less than a thousand since picking it up.
Wasn't satisfied with answer but determined I would get local garage to put some new brake pads on for me, rather than give them the business, as I reckoned they should have told me about the state of the brake pads when I bought the car.
They, local garage, offer a variety of makes - OEM of course - but wondered what people recommend as best. Can original Mazda pads be obtained and are they better/more expensive.
Gone are the days when I would have done the fitting myself; I'm getting too old in the tooth.
Regards,
John 

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
Not so much a reply as a query.
I purchased my 2017 Mazda3 Sport Nav on 31st January this year with two months warranty still on it.
Had to take it in to main dealers, last week, as near side wing mirror not retracting properly and, while there they did a free health check.
Came back with the news that my front brake discs needed replacing badly! Queried this as car had only done 26.5 thousand at time I bought it and, due to lock down, I had done less than a thousand since picking it up.
Wasn't satisfied with answer but determined I would get local garage to put some new brake pads on for me, rather than give them the business, as I reckoned they should have told me about the state of the brake pads when I bought the car.
They, local garage, offer a variety of makes - OEM of course - but wondered what people recommend as best. Can original Mazda pads be obtained and are they better/more expensive.
Gone are the days when I would have done the fitting myself; I'm getting too old in the tooth.
Regards,
John

Didn’t it come with a MOT most dealers do this when it’s going to need one within a couple of months, if so surely it should of been picked up then. When I bought my first mazda back in 2011 a 2009 59 plate it had 3 months original warranty left but they MOTed it and gave me a year warranty from the purchase date.
Made it to retirement  :) now can’t go anywhere 😡

Offline hanix

• TS2 Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »
I wonder how much traction control has to do with front brake wear, it certainly caused excessive wear on the rear brakes of the xf Jaguar. My elderly Ford Focus seems to do about 40k to a set of discs and pads. (Cost less than £40 Hour and a half on a Saturday morning to fit).

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 08:58:16 AM »
For traction control, it'll depend how active it is.

On my gen 2 with DSC and traction I'm still on original rear discs at 84k with plenty left and the fronts lasted 52k (the previous owner wasn't as easy on brakes as me they were 70% worn when I picked the car up at 36k miles.)

If you drive in a manner that means the traction is on all the time you would see a difference but given how slack the Mazda system is (I've only seen DSC activate once I was going sideways at the time) you'd need to drive like an utter loon for it to be significant.

Maybe on G-vectoring cars it would be different but the older ones only seem to intervene when you are well and truly into a moment and do so with the sublety of a hammer to the face.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:34:39 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 10:13:52 AM »
I finally managed to get the brakes looked at by a local garage.

At least 7mm of 'meat' on the front pads, closer to 8mm (surprisingly close to the new rear pads).
the lip on discs is less than 1mm and the tool he was using didn't even register a lip so he had to round up to 1mm.

He said it'll be fine until my next service, August 2021. I'll get them done in the Spring.

Mazda OEM pads didn't come up. He gave me two prices. One for standard and one for premium pads. What after market pads would anyone recommend?

Also, the brake pipes are a bit of a worry. Can't quite believe they also need doing.

Offline Digga2607

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
Sorry, Yarb. Been off line for forum.
Long and short of it was I found local garage not as reliable as they used to be - change of ownership - so took it to another main dealer. Fitted new pads and, of course it needed anti squeal shims. 'Phoned me up to say I should really change discs at same time as slight ridge on off side. Service clerk made a big issue telling me that if I chose not to have discs replace now but later, I would then need new pads again! Wasn't too chuffed as first main dealer hadn't mentioned problem with discs. Told them just to do pads. They also told me that I had slit in one of the tyres which had gone down to the reinforcing, but they couldn't replace it as they hadn't got one in stock!!
Took it to a recommended non dealership garage for the tyre - they do MOT's etc as well. Price for tyre was coppers different from Kwik-Fit, ATS etc and they checked discs for me as well. They told me no problem whatsoever with discs!!
Can you ever trust a main dealership??
John

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »
I finally managed to get the brakes looked at by a local garage.

At least 7mm of 'meat' on the front pads, closer to 8mm (surprisingly close to the new rear pads).
the lip on discs is less than 1mm and the tool he was using didn't even register a lip so he had to round up to 1mm.

He said it'll be fine until my next service, August 2021. I'll get them done in the Spring.

Mazda OEM pads didn't come up. He gave me two prices. One for standard and one for premium pads. What after market pads would anyone recommend?

Also, the brake pipes are a bit of a worry. Can't quite believe they also need doing.

Has anyone got any thoughts on after market pads?

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »