Author Topic: Buying a Mazda  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Buying a Mazda
« on: July 17, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
Hi all

I am currently driving a 2003 Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.2 which I have had since 2015 over 92k on the clock and it is still going strong but in the coming months I am going to need to find myself another car as I will have to travel 60 miles every other day for University - postgraduate. I am split across a number of car brands at the moment with an Audi A3 sportback and BMW 3 series. I constantly have people telling me who have never had a Mazda not to buy one.

Anyway, I took a 2018 Mazda 3 2.0 SE-L Nav 5dr out for a test drive. While driving it I wasn't hugely impressed because there were so many buttons around the place that I didn't know what half of them do. Saying that it was a comfortable drive and bizzarely enough I wouldn't have used the term fun. I spend 80% of the test drive on the motorway and was probably more focused on getting the car back than actually enjoying it. Just to make sure next time, I have asked the dealership if I can take it for another test drive.

Tomorrow I will be test driving the 2016 sport model so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

I am looking for a car that is reliable, inexpensive to maintain, has good performance, look good, is comfortable and has value for money.

Firstly, are there any problems with the Mazda 3's mentioned that are worth noting?

Is it possible or even worthwhile getting an extended warrant on the car?

Would the sport version of the 3 be more expensive?

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Buying a Mazda
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »
Not a huge amount of difference between a sport and SEL, better headlamps bigger wheels, most noticeable will probably be heads up display. So the experience won't be hugely different. Sport is a higher trim level so would be more expensive for certain things but mechanically identical.

Reliability wise they are very good indeed, few odd niggles here and there usually relating to automated city braking or the infotainment screen but the mechanics of the car are very strong indeed requiring no more than basic maintenance to do big mileages. There's multiple people in the US with the same engine well over 200k miles.

Not a fast car...or a particularly quiet one but in comparison to a Fiesta all things are relative. I came to my Gen 2 car (2011) in 2014 after having a 2006 Suzuki Swift for years and huge step up it was.

So will it be as immediately nice as a 3 series or Audi A3? Probably not, but the thing I love about mine is even at 9 years old and 84k miles it works absolutely 100%, never failed an mot...though one next week *fingers crossed*. Only had brakes, tyres and the odd suspension part since 2014. The German options tend not to be that reliable in comparison but have more "cred" and will probably sit a bit better on the motorway.

Your choice really, I know if I'd bought a similar Golf or A3 it'd have been a better motorway cruiser but the car itself has been so dependable that I don't really care. Also it was about 3k cheaper than a similarly equipped and aged German option at the time. I've done 5.5 hours of motorway straight in it...I was mildly broken when I got out but shorter distances are fine.

You're looking at a newer car as well so it will be better than mine (gen 3s have more sound proofing). If you want a quiet car better off with the 2018 Sel, 2016 is pre-facelift which had less sound proofing also the 18 inch sport wheels will give more road roar.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:28:07 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Alfisto

• Takara Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Well written post StevenRB45. Says it all pretty succinctly. I have the preface lift Sport Nav and it is a bit noisy on motorways but otherwise it's a damn fine looking, reliable motor car

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 01:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply @stevenRB45 and I appreciate you taking the time.

I went for a test drive in an 18 plate (different to the other 18 plate I drove) and I think it has removed any uncertainty around the car I want to buy. It was a seriously nice drive around the country lanes and on the motorway, never had much of a chance to play around with the numerous gadgets in the car other than the heated seats which get incredibly warm very quick. I think it is now so about what I want in the car.

The sport has a heads up display which I think is cool but probably not overly necessary. However, I do find the infotainment screen a little distracting when driving so perhaps it wouldnt be a bad thing to look at. Would it be a better idea to go for a newer car and buy a third party HUD and have that installed?

The other things I like about the 2016 sport version that isn't available in the 2018 model is the reverse parking camera and Bose sound system.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 03:38:25 AM »
I wouldn't get too hung up on the distraction value of the screen.

I actually fitted a 7 inch touch screen one to mine a few years ago as it didn't have one factory. Because it is new your eye is drawn to it, however give it a week or so and it's just part of the dash once the novelty wears off.

Bose is slightly a double edged sword as the speakers can come apart due to water damage in the doors, it doesn't seem to affect standard units. If it rattles when you turn it up then you'll probably need replacement speakers.

Rear camera can be retrofitted if necessary, I've never seen anyone do a heads up though.

One consideration when picking your model is standard size tyres for the 18 inch wheel are a stupid size. As a result the only tyres available are fiendishly expensive and you cannot get winter or all season rubber in that size.

edit: had a look this morning you can now get winter rubber but not all season in 215/45 18 but tyres are over a 100 quid even for Avon anything branded is hovering near 150 per tyre

I've not done it personally but an upgrade to 225 section opens up more options in both cost and tyre type and should fit at stock height without rubbing. Will mean the speedo is slightly out though (1% difference in diameter).

In case you're wondering btw...I'm not as massively invested in your buying choice as it looks like. I'm shopping for a newer car so this is all research I've done previously for my own search.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:08:21 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »

I actually fitted a 7 inch touch screen one to mine a few years ago as it didn't have one factory. Because it is new your eye is drawn to it, however give it a week or so and it's just part of the dash once the novelty wears off.

Bose is slightly a double edged sword as the speakers can come apart due to water damage in the doors, it doesn't seem to affect standard units. If it rattles when you turn it up then you'll probably need replacement speakers.

Rear camera can be retrofitted if necessary, I've never seen anyone do a heads up though.

One consideration when picking your model is standard size tyres for the 18 inch wheel are a stupid size. As a result the only tyres available are fiendishly expensive and you cannot get winter or all season rubber in that size.

edit: had a look this morning you can now get winter rubber but not all season in 215/45 18 but tyres are over a 100 quid even for Avon anything branded is hovering near 150 per tyre

I've not done it personally but an upgrade to 225 section opens up more options in both cost and tyre type and should fit at stock height without rubbing. Will mean the speedo is slightly out though (1% difference in diameter).

In case you're wondering btw...I'm not as massively invested in your buying choice as it looks like. I'm shopping for a newer car so this is all research I've done previously for my own search.
[/b]

Unless there is something significant in terms of engine differences between a 2015 Mazda 3 sport and a Mazda 3 2018 I think I have made a decision. I just do no feel I get value for money in the 2018 model. The one I am looking at is close to £12k and has done 18k mileage. The 2015 model offers Bose sound system, HUD, and camera system at a significantly cheaper price.

The 2018 model does have interent access wth app integration - is that available on older models?

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »
Not sure about Internet access to be honest...hopefully someone who owns one knows and will be along shortly.^-^

Both can be upgraded to allow Android Auto and Car play for a fee that was what I always planned to do so no idea what the standard unit does really.

The Facelift car will have better sound proofing, different steering wheel and some interior details for a more upmarket feel and revised lights and bumpers but not so as you'd notice. Also has G-vectoring..which is meant to help cornering but probably unlikely you'd notice the difference. The electric handbrake also came in at the facelift, pre-facelift cars had the old school style.

Locally you can get a post facelift sport with leather for 12k on a 17 plate so you could probably find a high spec car slightly older but with the facelift improvements in budget.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:37:10 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 01:59:44 PM »

[/b]

Unless there is something significant in terms of engine differences between a 2015 Mazda 3 sport and a Mazda 3 2018 I think I have made a decision. I just do no feel I get value for money in the 2018 model. The one I am looking at is close to £12k and has done 18k mileage. The 2015 model offers Bose sound system, HUD, and camera system at a significantly cheaper price.

The 2018 model does have interent access wth app integration - is that available on older models?

The pre-facelift models do not have Apple Car Play / Android Auto as standard - they can be added retrospectively, if I recall, but at a cost of several hundred Quid.  The post-facelift car is superior, especially on the road noise dampning - and the centre armrest/cubble hole issue is fixed.

I liked the OEM HUD on the Sport (I test drove a [pre-facelift] car in early 2017), but much prefered the ride quality of the SE-L (Nav), which is excellent value for money, with a still perfectly decent sound system.  That model and below are also shod on the much more sensible 205/60 R16V tyres which are a lor cheaper to replace (and will last a lot longer and be far less susceptible to damage) than the 18in ones, though still considerably more expensive to replace (£85 - £110 each incl. fitting) than the similar 205/55 R16V OEM tyres fitted to my gen-1 car (£60 each). Still, better than an overly firm ride, shorter life of the £125 - £160 18in tyres of the gen-3 Sport.

You may want to check if the underboot area can take a spare wheel/tyre - some Mazda models put the range-topping ICE in that area, meaning they cannot accommodate a spare wheel/tyre, forcing the owner to rely on the useless 'tube of goo' system.  This is the case in the smaller CX-3, not sure if it is the case with the gen-3 Mazda 3.  Note also that Mazda charge £395 to fit a spare wheel and tyre (assuming there space) because it needs a special cut-out to hold it securely in place.  Unfortunately they come as a 'pack' so you can't just buy the polystyrene cutout and toolkit from them and buy the wheel and tyre separately.  A nice money-spinner for Mazda which owners do not appreciate having to fork out for - especially as it often gets 'overlooked' by sales staff.  Note also that when fitted, the spare wheel/tyre arranement raises the boot floor up a bit, reducing boot space (not sure if it leave a 'hump' in the floor or it all gets raised up).  Never a problem on the gen-1 and 2 cars (space saver spares fitted as standard with the same boot size as the gen-3).

Most other car firms charge between £100 - £200 for their version (which would not be compatible).  You *may* be able to source something that fits for a reasonable price, but check to see if it will fit in securely (not moving around, especially in an accident).

As others have said, the standard gen-3 sport is no different to the lower spec models in performance - slightly better grip due to the wider, low profile tyres.  There is a Sport 165 model, which is essentially the same car as the standard Sport with a re-mapped engine (same torque as the standard 2.0 SA-G petrol) to get 165PS instead of 120PS.  It's about 0.5 sec quicker to 60, and you have to give it a lot of right foot to make best use of it. The Sport 165 is only available in hatch form, the others can be sourced in Fastback (saloon) form - nicer looking in my view, but the boot opening is small, meaning it can be more difficult (sometimes impossible) to make use of the extra 50L of boot space.

You may wish to consider a late model (before they changed the engine to a 1.5TSI) SEAT Leon 1.4TSI 150 FR, though admitedly that car does also come shod on 18in rims. A few years before, that car did come in a SE spec shod on the sensible 205/55 tyres with a 140PS variant (no ACT) of the 1.4TSI engine and was very good.  The FR does have climate control whereas the SE had just manual A/C.  The Mazda3 has climate control on SE-L and above on the gen-3 car.

The 1.8 FR is quicker but uses an older engine design that has been known in the past for using oil.  I prefer the styling of the 3dr 'SC' model myself - the only realy difference between it and the 5dr version is that you get slightly less leg room in the back - I believe the boot is the same size (380L - 20L bigger than the gen-3 Mazda3's in hatch form).  Not sure when the Leon adopted Apple Car Play / Android Auto integration.  If considering one, I would be wary about any mated to the newer 1.5TSI engine, as it has suffered from hesitancy problems at low speed and a VAG 'software fix' has not always been a success.  The new model with a 48V mild hybrid system has overcome the fault, but that's a new car.  The same goes for the VWGolf (GT spec - note that UK spec cars, unlike the continental one or the Leon FR, only come with manual A/C).  You get more for your money with the Leon.

Like with Mazdas, finding a decent main SEAT dealer can be a real pain - you may be lucky to find a good, respected one in your locale, or you may not (some can be real stinkers / rip-off merchants, especially post-sales) forcing you to choose between driving further to a better dealership or using a local indie - not so bad if the latter is very competent / honest and the car is well out of warranty (you will more likely get  'goodwill' if a car >6yo is maintained at a main dealer).

In the current climate, it might be worth considering keeping your decent Fiesta (my Dad has a run-out 08 plate one with the 1.25 engine that's still going strong) and saving up a bit longer for (if you really love Mazdas) a gen-4 Mazda3 or CX-30 in 2.0 SA-X (185PS engine and better mpg than the SA-G equivalent) format, which comes with a decent spec generally (and can be had in the mid-specced car as well as the Sport) and is a seriously good looking couple of cars.  New ones currently are expensive (getting near to the equivalent German makes), but I suspect prices will eventually soften if sales aren't that great (I think they are about £3 overpriced).

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »

[/b]

The pre-facelift models do not have Apple Car Play / Android Auto as standard - they can be added retrospectively, if I recall, but at a cost of several hundred Quid.  The post-facelift car is superior, especially on the road noise dampning - and the centre armrest/cubble hole issue is fixed.

I liked the OEM HUD on the Sport (I test drove a [pre-facelift] car in early 2017), but much prefered the ride quality of the SE-L (Nav), which is excellent value for money, with a still perfectly decent sound system.  That model and below are also shod on the much more sensible 205/60 R16V tyres which are a lor cheaper to replace (and will last a lot longer and be far less susceptible to damage) than the 18in ones, though still considerably more expensive to replace (£85 - £110 each incl. fitting) than the similar 205/55 R16V OEM tyres fitted to my gen-1 car (£60 each). Still, better than an overly firm ride, shorter life of the £125 - £160 18in tyres of the gen-3 Sport.

You may want to check if the underboot area can take a spare wheel/tyre - some Mazda models put the range-topping ICE in that area, meaning they cannot accommodate a spare wheel/tyre, forcing the owner to rely on the useless 'tube of goo' system.  This is the case in the smaller CX-3, not sure if it is the case with the gen-3 Mazda 3.  Note also that Mazda charge £395 to fit a spare wheel and tyre (assuming there space) because it needs a special cut-out to hold it securely in place.  Unfortunately they come as a 'pack' so you can't just buy the polystyrene cutout and toolkit from them and buy the wheel and tyre separately.  A nice money-spinner for Mazda which owners do not appreciate having to fork out for - especially as it often gets 'overlooked' by sales staff.  Note also that when fitted, the spare wheel/tyre arranement raises the boot floor up a bit, reducing boot space (not sure if it leave a 'hump' in the floor or it all gets raised up).  Never a problem on the gen-1 and 2 cars (space saver spares fitted as standard with the same boot size as the gen-3).

Most other car firms charge between £100 - £200 for their version (which would not be compatible).  You *may* be able to source something that fits for a reasonable price, but check to see if it will fit in securely (not moving around, especially in an accident).

As others have said, the standard gen-3 sport is no different to the lower spec models in performance - slightly better grip due to the wider, low profile tyres.  There is a Sport 165 model, which is essentially the same car as the standard Sport with a re-mapped engine (same torque as the standard 2.0 SA-G petrol) to get 165PS instead of 120PS.  It's about 0.5 sec quicker to 60, and you have to give it a lot of right foot to make best use of it. The Sport 165 is only available in hatch form, the others can be sourced in Fastback (saloon) form - nicer looking in my view, but the boot opening is small, meaning it can be more difficult (sometimes impossible) to make use of the extra 50L of boot space.

You may wish to consider a late model (before they changed the engine to a 1.5TSI) SEAT Leon 1.4TSI 150 FR, though admitedly that car does also come shod on 18in rims. A few years before, that car did come in a SE spec shod on the sensible 205/55 tyres with a 140PS variant (no ACT) of the 1.4TSI engine and was very good.  The FR does have climate control whereas the SE had just manual A/C.  The Mazda3 has climate control on SE-L and above on the gen-3 car.

The 1.8 FR is quicker but uses an older engine design that has been known in the past for using oil.  I prefer the styling of the 3dr 'SC' model myself - the only realy difference between it and the 5dr version is that you get slightly less leg room in the back - I believe the boot is the same size (380L - 20L bigger than the gen-3 Mazda3's in hatch form).  Not sure when the Leon adopted Apple Car Play / Android Auto integration.  If considering one, I would be wary about any mated to the newer 1.5TSI engine, as it has suffered from hesitancy problems at low speed and a VAG 'software fix' has not always been a success.  The new model with a 48V mild hybrid system has overcome the fault, but that's a new car.  The same goes for the VWGolf (GT spec - note that UK spec cars, unlike the continental one or the Leon FR, only come with manual A/C).  You get more for your money with the Leon.

Like with Mazdas, finding a decent main SEAT dealer can be a real pain - you may be lucky to find a good, respected one in your locale, or you may not (some can be real stinkers / rip-off merchants, especially post-sales) forcing you to choose between driving further to a better dealership or using a local indie - not so bad if the latter is very competent / honest and the car is well out of warranty (you will more likely get  'goodwill' if a car >6yo is maintained at a main dealer).

In the current climate, it might be worth considering keeping your decent Fiesta (my Dad has a run-out 08 plate one with the 1.25 engine that's still going strong) and saving up a bit longer for (if you really love Mazdas) a gen-4 Mazda3 or CX-30 in 2.0 SA-X (185PS engine and better mpg than the SA-G equivalent) format, which comes with a decent spec generally (and can be had in the mid-specced car as well as the Sport) and is a seriously good looking couple of cars.  New ones currently are expensive (getting near to the equivalent German makes), but I suspect prices will eventually soften if sales aren't that great (I think they are about £3 overpriced).

Wow a lot to take in and thank you.

I have just found out I will be made redundant in the coming weeks and that money could potentially go towards a Mazda. Personally the redundancy doesn't affect me as I was leaving anyway and depending on how long it takes it could give me an extra bit of money to put towards it.

Would you recommend going for an 18 plate? I think I'm being a bit silly wanting the HUD, I like my gadgets but it isn't one of the essentials needed.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
What you may want to find is the '2017' (makeover) car, which actually was available from late 2016 - but specifically getting a car registered between then and when the VED system for newly-registered cars changed on 1st April 2017.

The reason being is that you get the updated model (you can tell by the centre armrest area - old car has an odd-shaped one and a standard handbrake, the makeover car has a rectangular shaped armrest and an electronic parking brake) but you pay only £30 VED p.a. for the car (manual petrol non Sport 165PS) registered before 01/04/17 but £150 p.a. for cars registered after that date.  Same car, £120 extra VED per year to pay.  Note that the auto is in the next band up for the pre 01/04/07 group (D) and pays £125pa, the Sport 165PS the next up again (E) and currently pays the same (£150) as all those registered after 1st April 2017.

For that reason, you might find it tough to source one.  I personally liked the HUD (especially the speed warnings), but it isn't essential for the conscientous driver, and as before, I believe that the SE-L (Nav) is the better value car and rides better on the 16in tyres (which are far cheaper/easier to source than the 18in ones on the Sport models).  You still get climate control and, if I remember correctly, heater front seats on the SE-L model.

Have a look at the Honest John website for all the specs and reviews.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/3-2014/

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
Dealership purchase
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 01:45:37 AM »
Hi all

I am looking at buying a Mazda from the Edwards dealership in Worcester. However my local dealership are either Coventry or Leamington. If I have a problem with the car I take it u would have to take it back to the dealership in Worcester?

If that is the case, would it be possible to have the car transferred to a local Mazda dealership - even though they are not part of the same franchise?

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
Re: Dealership purchase
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
It'll depend on what sort of warranty you have.

If it was the 2018 you were looking at and it has 1 year of oem warranty left that is Pan-european iirc and can be used at any garage in the Mazda dealer network. If I remember correctly the approved used 1 year warranty that comes with cars bought from the dealer network is also manufacturer backed not linked to a dealer. You'll need to read the paperwork or ask the dealer though this ran out 5 years ago on my car and I did not renew so Ts and Cs may have changed.

But if it's not an approved used Mazda then it's very much ask your dealer, some buy after market warranties that can be used at any dealers others will only do the work themselves.

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »
https://www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/used-cars/11327428-mazda3-2-0-sport-nav-5dr/

Looking at this one. That is from an Edwards Mazda dealership but it's too far away... If my local one was able to bring it to the green4 motor company dealership then I'd buy it. The other alternative is below as it is with the same dealership

https://www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/used-cars/11559454-mazda3-2-0-sport-nav-5dr/

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 10:02:09 AM »
Given they are both approved used I believe the warranty is backed by Mazda rather than a specific dealership.

But best source of info is probably the dealership/any paperwork that comes with it.

As an aside quite expensive those, local Mazda dealer had a 17 plate sport nav with leather up for 12k the other week it sold quick though as I was debating going for a look and it had gone within 12 hours.

Offline Solo_run

• TS Class
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »
Given they are both approved used I believe the warranty is backed by Mazda rather than a specific dealership.

But best source of info is probably the dealership/any paperwork that comes with it.

As an aside quite expensive those, local Mazda dealer had a 17 plate sport nav with leather up for 12k the other week it sold quick though as I was debating going for a look and it had gone within 12 hours.

There is currently a Mazda sport nav 2017 in Leamington - it's has a two tone black/white interior and all the gadgets. It was superb to drive and although paying an extra 1.5k might be worth it, I really have to stick to my budget.

https://www.green4motorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/11559430-mazda-3-3-2.0-5dr-sport-nav-120ps-light-stone-leather/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:57:10 AM by Solo_run »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »