Author Topic: Buying second hand - advice needed!  (Read 1009 times)

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Buying second hand - advice needed!
« on: March 10, 2020, 09:55:02 PM »
Hi all, new here and hoping to soon be a Mazda3 owner. On the look out for a new second hand car and I’m really rather taken with a 2009 Mazda 3 1.6 sport I’ve seen. So here’s the deal, it’s had 3 previous owners and has 74k on the clock. Looks very tidy inside and out bar a couple new front tyres needed and not far off needing new discs on the front. Dealer wants £3399 for it and says he’ll put 2 new tyres on, service it and put 12 moths mot on it.
I’m hesitating due to underwhelming lack of service history. Only documents are of a previous service, oil change, oil and air filter and spark plugs in 2016 with 43k on the clock from an independent garage. Have contacted Mazda dealership and only details of the digital service history are the first 2 services in 2010 and 2012. Last owner has had it for 5 years.
Drives fine, though only tested over a short distance. My worry  is it’s done 30k miles with no service. Dealer also did that annoying thing claiming there to be loads of receipts for it, only for me to turn up and there’s one invoice. Then said they must be in the office, then couldn’t find anything.
My question is, what should I be wary of? I understand they have one of the better reliability records 2nd hand. Chain driven engine is generally problem free ( engine looked v dirty ).
It’s the top end of my budget, but in desperate need of a car. I guess it may need the 10 yr service which Mazda quoted £350 for.
Dealer says I’ll never get a Mazda with full history as it’s all digital. I think he’s just trying to shift it!
Would you take the punt in my situation?

Thanks all

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
Re: Buying second hand - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 09:56:35 PM »
I should add, it’s the 1.6 Petrol engine

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 11:00:30 PM »
1.6 petrol is strong though the lack of a service for 30k is a worry.

They have a timing chain so poor quality oil could lead to timing chain stretch (although don't think I've ever seen this on a 1.6). Also makes blocked oil strainer more likely (again not seen this in a 1.6 but both issues are prevalent on a 2.2 diesel). The petrol doesn't foul the oil like a diesel so more likely to get away with it.

To be honest in general they are a strong reliable car, but have a very good look underneath as rust proofing is a bit meh! Also ABS light must come on and go off with each engine start as the pump is an expensive fix and the only real weak point.

Dealer is talking ******e about the history though...mines got full DSR at 9 years old and 82k.

Personally I'd never take a punt at top of budget, you take a punt on something you can well afford to fix if it's a dog. If you're stretching the available money then I'd be cautious. Are there any signs it's been looked after? Things like matching decent brand tyres? Ling long crash bangs point to a car that's been given bare minimum. Mot history will be available on the plate check for recurring advisories (again cheap owners don't get minors fixed). Brakes are easily visible through the wheels so see if they are looking healthy.

Basically signs it's not been run on a very tight budget and battered.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:02:11 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
Thanks for that Steven some really useful advice. Mot history doesn’t look too bad. On the whole, advisories over last 8 years relay tyre wear and breaks. The are no advisories that carry forward across to 2 tests 12 months apart so maybe that’s a decent sign.
Any advisories coming up are on the whole tyre or brake wear apart from one relating to excessive play in steering racking join. Only fail was due excessive play in front suspension ball joint outer front nearside.
Doesn’t seem anything too significant to me though I’m no mechanic by any means!

Thanks for the advice re. rust spots and abs light. If I return For a second look I’ll be sure to check them out. Unsure on tyre choice also but I’ll take a look.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
I would say it's not massively cheap at 3400, there was a fully historied Takuya (slightly lower spec than sport but 2011) with 83k on it for the same money at my local Arnold Clark with a warranty.

It's about on market so another one may come up with a less patchy history. They tend to sit between 3 and 4 grand the only issue being they are quite rare compared to say a focus or astra so if you're on tight budget you won't be tripping over choices.

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 06:23:45 PM »
Cheers Steven. And therein lies problem, I’ve fallen for the 1.6 petrol sport and there’s very few around. Particularly anywhere near the £3400 mark with similar mileage.
Dealers promised a service, mot and 2 new front tyres. Also offering 6 month warranty though this is directly with him and he’s a small dealer so really only have his word on this. I’m not putting much value in that at the moment.
It’s either the Mazda 3 or BMW 1 series for me. 1 series come with their own problems though and are generally high mileage and I don’t think up to the reliability ratings of the Mazda 3. If nothing much comes up between now and the weekend I might just have to take the plunge.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
The difference between a sport and a Takuya boils down to a Bose stereo and a Heated windscreen, some sports have keyless as well but not all same goes for leather.

Otherwise they look the same and have the same equipment, same wheels, same suspension e.t.c. and identical interiors with ambient lighting, black out dials, dual zone climate and heated sports seats.

Tbf if you like the car, it runs well (so no rattling from the top end of the engine) and it's warranted then less of a risk. Is the dealer well established? If they've been around a while then usually that's a good sign. Dodgy ones tend to fold and come back under a different name.

Given the choice between a 3.4k 1 series and a 3.4k Mazda 3 the second one is far less of risk in my opinion, even with the question mark over the history. Also should cost less to fix in the event it goes wrong (I say should..as in 6 years all mine has needed is 4 drop links at 40 odd quid a new battery and some front brakes.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:08:44 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline speedy mazda

• Sports Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 07:14:47 PM »
Hi djop my mazda 3 1.6 petrol has 84000 miles on clock never failed an mot only fault was the abs unit last year apart from that reliable.I think 3400 is a lot mines been valued at 2000 trade in,with full dealer service history. Like Steven said check the abs light comes on goes off, check coolant should be nice clear green fl22,check oil is not milky or burnt in filler cap.If discs look worn get them to replace with new pads before you buy.

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
Cheers Steven and Speedy Mazda for all the advice, really appreciated! Oil looked fine when I looked. Good to know re the coolant also. And sounds like the abs thing is a bit of reoccurring theme so I’ll def check that out. Re. The breaks, looks like it had new pads. I’ve mentioned to him the discs look a bit worn/lipped at the edges but he’s not having that.
I’m thinking if I can get him to £3300 with 2 new tyres, service, mot etc and everything else you guys mentioned checks out then might have to risk it. Am running out of time as ideally need something this weekend!
Also, it’s doesn’t necessarily have to be the sport option for me. Would happily go a Takuya or 09 plate or the slightly older 08 shape but I’ve honestly not found anything close on mileage and price.
Surprise to here yours is only worth £2k trade in speedy? Honestly not seen much out there 2009 onwards under £3k. Even those at over 100k on the clock and similar age spec as the one I’m looking at are between £2900 and £3200!!

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
Oh yea, and re the dealer. Looks like he’s been up and running a couple of years at best. 8 5 star reviews, though those could be his mates. Also charges £10 over the phone to hold the car for you travel and look at it which seems odd. But he his out in the sticks on industrial estate. He said that’s so the no one else can by the car before you see it and will refund is not as describe or your purchase. Still slightly wrangles with me though and makes me question how honest he is. No blooming receipts with the car despite him telling me there were on the phone.

Offline speedy mazda

• Sports Class
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
Yes I was surprised at £2000 trade in for a Mercedes a250 4matic,but to be fair he was prepared to drop the value of the car I was thinking of buying by £500 .If the alloys on the merc were not so corroded, plus stone chipped bonnet, I may have bought it.I just looked in auto trader see what you mean about high mileage ones going for a lot.The discs and pads are cheap to buy for the Mazda 3 anyway,my front discs were changed at about 70,000 miles my rear discs are original still in good condition

Offline DJOP1980

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »
Good to know Speedy re. Price of discs / pads etc. How much was your abs problem fix out of interest?
Selling your by any chance? Ha!

Offline speedy mazda

• Sports Class
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 07:03:32 AM »
Hi there the abs fix cost me just over £500 ,cheap considering the dealer wanted £1200 for just the part it was better to send away.It was stripped off sent away which was 300 the rest labour. There is a company down south somewhere which will take it off repair cheaper .

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 07:03:32 AM »