Author Topic: Glovebox Mod  (Read 23239 times)

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Glovebox Mod
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Could'nt help but notice forum sticker in your glove box, is it surplus to your requirement? If so can you let me have/buy it as they are

sold out on store and no-one knows when new stock is due, cheers.  ;)

lol joka.. i have a few left over.. will update the store asap. :)
2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »
Well hurry and post the boot thread  :P
Considering you like to take you 3 apart and a bit of wiring, there's a DIY mod to make you your intermittent wipers variable speed  ;)

I'll get that up when it stops raining and I can take some photos.  Go on then - where's the details of this mod  :P
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »
I'll get that up when it stops raining and I can take some photos.  Go on then - where's the details of this mod  :P
Feeling brave?

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=30885.msg744940#msg744940

you might have to contact him to find out details of the control unit.

Presumably the post 06 OE intermittant feautre is not a possible retrofit to newer European 3s. Might be, who knows.

Offline acmp

• Sports Class
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
Cheers for this Neel, your post inspired me to do the same with the boot.

I keep opening it just to admire how well lit it is  ;D

pics?

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
Feeling brave?

Not that brave - I'll stick with the wipers as they are for the mo! Cheers though :D
BEEN DONE | TWM short shift | angel eyes w/custom control |  Osram Silverstar head+fog lights | removed side mouldings | iPod interface | ambient downlight mod | boot light mod | CX-7 aerial | bonnet dampers | clear fog lamp |
TO COME   | rear tint |

Offline Matthew J H Yates

• S Class
  • No personal text yet.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »
Hi,

I've just modified the glove box on my Mazda 3 in the same way, except I did decide to put a pin switch in.

I used a strip of 9 blue (I'd have preferred white but they were much more expensive) LEDS from Maplin (product code N91CX cost £3.87) and the pin switch (product code AY07 cost £0.99). 

For those of you who wonder why it seems impossible to get the lens off from inside the glove box to replace the OEM bulb, its because You Cant!  You really do have to take out the entire glove box assembly to unscrew the lamp holder from above.

I'll post some pictures of the pin switch placement, because its location is quite important to allow clearance once the assembly is replaced, and still allow the flap to shut flush.

Thank you neeldub for a fantastic series of pictures that illustrate the process so well.

I just have to wait until it gets dark this evening to appreciate the end result.  Next stop ... ... Boot Illumination :-)
Matthew :-)

2004 Mazda 3 owner in Poole, Dorset, UK.

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
Welcome Matthew - what a great first post  :)  Look forward to seeing the photos of the pin switch assembly.

What made you decide to use a pin switch?  I presume the glovebox light is on when the ignition is?  Are your lights so bright they are visible through the edges of the glovebox or is it just to improve the design?

As a side note to anyone interested, I have found a cheap UK seller of LED strips:

White LED strip - £15 delivered for 1m length (60 LEDs)

http://www.led-depot.co.uk/epages/es111582.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es111582_shop/Products/%22White%20SMD%20Flexible%20Strip%22/SubProducts/%22White%20SMD%20Flexible%20Strip%201m%22
TO COME   | rear tint |

• S Class
  • No personal text yet.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 10:31:21 AM »
Pictures as promised of the location I chose for my pin switch.

Even when closed, there is a gap between the flap of the glove box and the box itself, which allows for the pin switch to be fitted without impeding the flap function.  There is also sufficient clearance behind the glove box to accommodate the switch when it is put back in place BUT PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DRILL THE HOLE.

I put the switch in because the LEDs are quite bight and I didn't want there to be any light detectable at night with the glove box closed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hussein

• Sports Class
  • I am the stig
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
Good work Matthew!
Now: 2006 Honda Civic FK3 2.2 iCTDI EX Cosmic Grey Pearl / Mega Spec / iPod / Interior Lighting
Then: 2005 Mazda 3 1.6D TS Hatch Winning Blue Metallic / ICE / Bluetooth / HIDs / Nice Trim

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
Good work Matthew!

+1.. but is there any smaller versions of the switch available? also how did you do the wiring?
2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

• S Class
  • No personal text yet.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 08:27:14 AM »
Good call neeldub for highlighting a fairly important omission in my posting.

There are some tiny slots already cut into the top of the glove-box, which are just big enough to feed small wires through, without the need to drill.  One of these slots was plenty big enough for me to slide the LED strip through, after I had soldered wires onto one end of it, before using the self-adhesive backing to fix it to the inside-top of the glove-box.  There are two wires that feed the OEM glove-box light, that become live when the side lights are turned on, irrespective of the presence or position of the ignition key.  Since the lights I was putting in were LEDs, it was important to get positive and negative the right way round.  I used a multi-meter to establish which was which.  I scotch-locked the positive cable for my LEDs to the positive feed for the OEM light. I then scotch-locked a cable to the negative feed for the OEM light and ran  that cable to one side of the pin-switch, connecting the negative cable for my LEDs to the other side of the pin-switch.  A self-adhesive cable clip held the cables tidily to the outside of the glovebox. 

I deliberately chose to switch the NEGATIVE feed through the pin-switch just in case the exposed switch came into contact with the cars negative earth once the glove box was put back in place.

YES there are much smaller push-to-break (PTB) pin-switches out there, and possibly less obtrusive locations for them than the one I chose.  My choice of hardware was influenced primarily by price and availability.  :-)

• S Class
  • No personal text yet.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
Having read the note from DaveG about www.led-depot.co.uk, I decided to try them out as a supplier.  Their customer service is first class, and they respond VERY rapidly to emailed questions.  I thoroughly recommend them, (and No! I'm not on commission LOL)

Offline Daveg

• MPS Class
  • Mazda 3 Tamura 1.6L
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:55 AM »
Very helpful with those photos Matthew, looks like you've done a very smart job.  Glad led-depot looked after you well.
TO COME   | rear tint |

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:55 AM »