Author Topic: New mazda 3 on order  (Read 1081 times)

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: New mazda 3 on order
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
Apologies for extending the discussion of Mazda's performance figures but I found another twist in a group test of the Gen 4 car:
  https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/3/107211/mazda-3-vs-ford-focus-vs-volkswagen-golf
Auto Express give a full set of data for each car (see table at the end) and appear to use their own measurements rather than manufacturers' figures.

The Mazda wins on 0-60 time with the 2.0L 122ps Skyactiv-G reported as 9.1s!

On the other hand, the Mazda loses out on in-gear acceleration and it is easy to see why from the torque figures. It actually has the most torque but look at the corresponding rpm figures. The turbo cars peak at 1400 rpm but the Mazda needs to get to 4000 rpm.  This explains "sluggish" comments but is not a problem if you are prepared to use the gears.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
I'd like to drive a gen 3 Sport Nav 120 to compare with my 165 Sport Nav to see if there really is a noticeable difference from 0-62. Official figures suggest 8.9 secs to 8.2 secs. I'm not someone with a heavy right foot on the pedal so wondering if it would be such a big deal if I swapped it out? I am considering the Skyactiv X engine in future if it turns out to be reliable though.

Someone posted a graph on one of the forums a while ago.  The extra power is only above 4k revs so IMHO wouldn't be really noticeable for a 'regular' driver.

Offline dunhill1984

• S Class
  • post man nth cotswolds
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 10:19:41 PM »
picked up car today from lemington spa drove hpme to chipping campden.......wow  smooth drive,good punch for this engine i am impressed. blue looks balck in certain light angles ,blue in others very menacing look to front of car with its black grill surround(thought it would be chrome but i quite like it with this colour) comes with E-CALL IN ROOF for those emergency situations(independant from your phone)emergency services call you if you have an accident or can press a button and you can call them.l like the speedo witch you can change to your preference(computer screen type) and a wounderful lux finish interior plus adjustable(full length)centre arm rest containing a large storage area. but roof lining is black ,black dash,black seats black carpet ....makes it a dark space thats the only thing i dont like...buts its my wifes car and she loves it and likes the hud too but i dont think she will use radar cruise control says it s too complicated but then again she never used the basic cruise in the fiesta either.Like i said on a previus post if it was for me i would def get the GT TECH SKYACTIV X AUTO 4X4 IN RED WITH BURGANDY SEATS AND TWO TONE DASH £32.5K....HMMMM(12K DIFF FROM BASE MODEL) HMMMM
mazda 3 sel-lux petrol 69 plate deep blue
mazda CX5 sport nav+ petrol auto white 68 plate

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 10:29:49 PM »
This is why the VAG 1.4 TSI in 122PS and especially 150PS form is far more useable than the Mazda3 gen-3 (and likely gen-4, given that engine now is slower to 60) 2.0 SA-G - you have to rag the latter to get a decent amount of performance, more so than my low-geared gen-1 1.6 petrol, which wants to rocket off in 1st gear (more than I would like) and not great in slow moving traffic.  I also found the newer engine much smoother than mine (even when it was new), probably more relaxing to drive, except when needing to overtake.

I think they deisgned the newere ones, especially the latest SA-G variant to be a 'Mr Average' car, not a driver's car any more, which is odd, given how they've been cultivating the handling side of things and promoting 'Zoom-Zoom'.  More like meh-meh for the UK market.  Shame we don't get the full range of engines that our North American and Aussie cousins do.  What a shame, especially as the gen-4 car looks so good in both hatch and fastback formats.

This could've been a big hit if they had got the engine line up right - a missed opportunity to me.  They'd better be careful, given how quickly the likes of Hyundai/KIA are coming up behind them with each new generation of their cars, and a resurgence in Toyota with a far better new Corolla this time to replace the staid Auris.  I'll still consider it, especially because it's got a torque converter auto box rather than a CVT (I don't like how most are in the usability stakes and the noise, though the Corolla 2.0's one is better than before) or dual clutch box (far better reliability on the Hyundai/KIAs than VAG/Ford, but not great in slow speed traffic).

I would've preferred the 2.5 SA-G (better torque, supposedly quite nice to drive on reviews from overseas) or especially the 2.5T.  I always liked (but couldn't afford back then) the 3 in MPS form, rather like the original Civic Type R (not the overblown newer models) from the early 2000s.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »
picked up car today from lemington spa drove hpme to chipping campden.......wow  smooth drive,good punch for this engine i am impressed. blue looks balck in certain light angles ,blue in others very menacing look to front of car with its black grill surround(thought it would be chrome but i quite like it with this colour) comes with E-CALL IN ROOF for those emergency situations(independant from your phone)emergency services call you if you have an accident or can press a button and you can call them.l like the speedo witch you can change to your preference(computer screen type) and a wounderful lux finish interior plus adjustable(full length)centre arm rest containing a large storage area. but roof lining is black ,black dash,black seats black carpet ....makes it a dark space thats the only thing i dont like...buts its my wifes car and she loves it and likes the hud too but i dont think she will use radar cruise control says it s too complicated but then again she never used the basic cruise in the fiesta either.Like i said on a previus post if it was for me i would def get the GT TECH SKYACTIV X AUTO 4X4 IN RED WITH BURGANDY SEATS AND TWO TONE DASH £32.5K....HMMMM(12K DIFF FROM BASE MODEL) HMMMM

£32k in top spec?  Ouch!  And its not in the same ballpark performance wise as the MPS, even if the latest car can come in 4WD form - it's not as though anyone will be going offroad in it - cheaper to buy a set of decent all-season tyres.  Way too much money for what it is.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »