Author Topic: Fitted two new rear tyres - now pulling to left  (Read 241 times)

Offline Bully

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Fitted two new rear tyres - now pulling to left
« on: August 25, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
Hi,

Recently fitted two new Yokohama tyres to the rear of my 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Nav, left the garage and noticed straight away something was not right.  The more I drove the car the more I knew something was off, the car will drift left with the steering wheel dead centre.  Had my tracking checked (4 wheel laser alignment check) to be told it is spot on.  Raised complaint with black circles and they swapped the rear tyres for another pair.  Problem is still there, not sure what to do, could it be a bad batch of tyres ?

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Fitted two new rear tyres - now pulling to left
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
The easiest way to check if it is the tyres is to take them off the wheels (if they are directional) and put them on the other side.  If the problem continues to happen and in the same direction, its the fitter's equipment and/or poor work on their part.  My previous set of tyres (as were my current set) sourced through Black Circles, but I had the previous set fitted at a local (new) fitter that was on BC's 'premium' list, but they bodged up on one tyre, which kept leaking even after they refitted it with more sealant.

They (the fitter) also charged me for this (refusing to do it for free) - it didn't work, and so I took the car to my local main dealer (whom I have used generally for maintaining my car for all its 13 year life [it was only 6yo at the time]) who refitted the tyre for free and it worked fine for another 5.5 years.  The difference between good and poor customer service.  I complained to BC and eventually (not necessarily because of my complaint), the fitter was removed from BC's list and they are just an indie now - not even part of the small chain they used to be when they first opened.  probably a sign (to me anyway) they are not very good.

Be aware that some fitters can do sub-standard wheel alignments on the cheap.  My main dealer (a multi-make franchise) charges about £100 for 4 wheels/tyres to be aligned.  Probably about right (accounting for inflation) given back in 2002 when I got that done on my old car, it cost about £50-£75 at ProTyre, which at the time was a decent fitter.

I find that unless your car was already pulling one way or the other, and if it was and it wasn't down to uneven worn tyres (ie. you hit a pothole or speed cushion), then it's not really worth getting a wheel alignment.  It IS worth getting your tyres rotated to even out wear.

Offline Bully

• Takara Class
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »
Thanks Andy.

I have just swapped the rear wheels (with the new Yokohama Advan Fleva V701
215/45 R18 W (93) tyres) with the front wheels (part worn Dunlop sport maxx TT tyres) and the car is now driving pretty spot on now (it could actually be drifting a gnats wotsit to the right), strange.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
Did you mean that the new tyres are now on the front and the part worn ones on the rear?  Be careful with that setup (for FWD cars) in wet weather as you could find the back end stepping out when turning, especially on roundabouts - its far better to fit new tyres to the rear and move part worn rear tyres to the front.  My tyre rotation comment was about swapping tyres on the left with those on the right in order to even out wear.  Obviously if they are directional tyres, you can only do this by taking each tyre off the hub.

In addition (I have no idea if this is the case here or not - more general comments when replacing only two tyres), you should never mix and match directional and asymmetric tyres on a vehicle, as their grip (especially in the wet) can vary quite a bit.

Offline Bully

• Takara Class
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
Yeah, I swapped the rear wheels with the new tyres with the front wheels with the part worn tyres.  So the new tyres are on the front. 

All tyres are directional.

I am looking to replace the part worn tyres in a couple of months.  Strange that it now drives almost spot on now, perhaps putting the part worn tyres on the back has made the difference.  Black circles assures me the second pair are from a different batch.

I normally rotate wheels fronts to rears which I did about 5000 or so miles ago.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »