Author Topic: Euro 6 replacement for my Mazda 3 2009 2.2 Diesel Sport?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline spacedmonkeys

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Euro 6 replacement for my Mazda 3 2009 2.2 Diesel Sport?
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »
Company I work for closing down everyone made redundant - looking like I've got a job offer for Birmingham city centre. Not ideal for parking charges and an incoming "clean air zone" (congestion tax). Train/bus is not an option for me either, live too far out.

Any "Euro 6" cars are excempt from the CAZ tax... Only had my Mazda 3 since last August and I am reluctant to trade it in as I love the thing!

So .. being lazy here, and yes will probably have to do my own research but maybe someone else has already done the same exercise:

Looking for something equally as high spec as the current car, but "Euro 6" compliant.  Can't afford new or nearly new so would need to be a second hand trade in.

Was there anything equivalent in petrol? And from what I understand only diesel after 2015 is Euro 6 compliant?

The things I would miss are the lovely blue LED lighting in the footwells, on the door handles and on the scuff plates; the heated leather seats, the heated front screen, keyless start, the bose speaker system, cruise control, basically all the "extras".

Is there such a beast out there?

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Euro 6 replacement for my Mazda 3 2009 2.2 Diesel Sport?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
It will depend on your local CAZ/ULEZ rules but in my area for Petrol engines ULEZ only applies to pre EURO 4. So you could buy a petrol 1.6 or 2.0 Mazda 3 sport from 2009 onward and be totally unaffected. Though there's no performance equivalent with reasonable fuel economy I'm afraid. That and sounds like you have a few options so finding an exact spec match will be tough but the majority will be there.

I'd look up the rules first, in my areas Diesels have to be Euro 6 petrols have to be euro 4.

Something like this would probably avoid the charges entirely if the rules are the same as other areas. Though mid 30s economy is about all you'd get.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907049728424?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=leather&year-from=2009&price-to=15000&postcode=s66dz&fuel-type=Petrol&transmission=Manual&model=MAZDA3&page=2&aggregatedTrim=Sport&quantity-of-doors=5&make=MAZDA&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:21:19 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline spacedmonkeys

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
Yes, Birmingham seems to be Euro 6 for Diesel and Euro 4 for Petrol

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Well the next question comes at how attached are you to the performance and economy of the diesel?

I've got a 2011 1.6, it does about 40 mpg on average but a 2.2 d is leagues ahead in performance. The 2.0 is better but economy is pretty poor.

If your annual mileage isn't over 10k you probably won't notice a huge amount of difference due to unleaded being cheaper. There's also a few other benefits, the petrols are less likely to break, cheaper to fix and service and easier on brakes, suspension and tyres due to being lighter and less torquey.

If you do a lot of miles then I believe the first euro 6 diesels were around 2014ish but not all 2014 cars will be euro 6 compliant.

Offline misar

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
I have had the 2009 Sport manual 2.0 petrol from new and find the performance fine - but that's me. Just remember you need to use the gears as torque is not its strong point. However, if you plan on a high mileage the mpg is far below the Mazda figures. Mine has done 32.5 overall from new (my manual record not the computer).

Offline spacedmonkeys

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 10:03:31 PM »
I’ll be doing 25 miles a day, so what’s that 6k a year. Definitely enjoy the performance of the diesel but on the (new) commute into Birmingham centre it is pretty slow 30/40mph A roads, compared to my current dual carriageway 70mph commute of 40 miles per day. Petrol 2.0 could be option then?

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 10:25:35 PM »
Well I spend 1200 quid a year on fuel for 8k miles on V-power at 40mpg. You'll get a quarter less economyish but you're doing a quarter less miles so about 100 quid PM if you fill up with the good stuff less on supermarket.

Your mileage rules out most DPF equipped diesels anyway unless you're going to be specifically making long trips to regen the filter they'll suffer in a the long run.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
It will depend on your local CAZ/ULEZ rules but in my area for Petrol engines ULEZ only applies to pre EURO 4. So you could buy a petrol 1.6 or 2.0 Mazda 3 sport from 2009 onward and be totally unaffected. Though there's no performance equivalent with reasonable fuel economy I'm afraid. That and sounds like you have a few options so finding an exact spec match will be tough but the majority will be there.

I'd look up the rules first, in my areas Diesels have to be Euro 6 petrols have to be euro 4.

Something like this would probably avoid the charges entirely if the rules are the same as other areas. Though mid 30s economy is about all you'd get.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907049728424?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=leather&year-from=2009&price-to=15000&postcode=s66dz&fuel-type=Petrol&transmission=Manual&model=MAZDA3&page=2&aggregatedTrim=Sport&quantity-of-doors=5&make=MAZDA&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

Just as a minor correction - the gen-1 petrol cars (both the 1.6 and 2.0 - I have no idea about the 2.3T in the MPS, no data on HJ's site on that version) are also Euro 4 compliant, as are the diesels at that time.  Not that the OP would be considering getting one that old, given their current car.

If the OP is doing mainly urban work, and not well over 15k miles pa, then its well worth them, if their current diesel isn't going to be able to drive into town at all or without paying a big daily fee, getting a gen-3 2.0 petrol which is Euro 5 (early models) or Euro 6 (facelifted models from late 2017 I think), which will likely be approved for any future LEZs during the expected lifetime of those vehicles, especially the facelifted models (which are better anyway, though more for the interior changes).  Best to go for the SE-L (Nav) version with the higher sidewall 16in tyres for better comfort/better tyre life/cheaper replacement cost too, and that model is generally very good value for money too.  With the diesels and urban work, especially lots of short trips from cold, you're asking for trouble reliability-wise, which could cost a lot (DPF issues are likely to not be covered by the warranty, as they are mostly caused by the driving pattern) of money to fix.

Offline spacedmonkeys

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
Thanks for advice on this people. Still got the 2.2 Diesel and have til at least May 2020 to decide on replacement. Car is doing fine with the 25 miles per day journeys, no DPF issues (although it does get taken on a motorway run once a month).

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »