Author Topic: Powered folding door mirrors  (Read 522 times)

Offline doorslammer

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Tamura
  • Year: 2016
Powered folding door mirrors
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Recently purchased a 2010 Mazda 3 Tamura and the other day has an issue with the n/s powered folding door mirror.

When I switched the ignition on the n/s door mirror powered forward from the normal driving position, when I switched the ignition off the mirror didn't move nor did it move when i switched the ignition back on.
I manually move the mirror back to the normal driving position but again when I switched the ignition on it powered forward. I then tried manually moving the mirror to the folded position thinking that when powered on it would move to the normal driving position but it didn't, it move fully forward again.
All this time the o/s mirror didn't move. I tried the "fold mirror" button but all that did was fold the o/s mirror in and the n/s mirror forward.The driver's mirror has never moved when the ignition has been switched on so I assume the Tamura doesn't have automatic folding mirrors so was surprised when the n/s mirror moved.
I have searched the web for a wiring diagram for the folding mirrors but had no luck, only found diagrams for the "up-down, left-right" adjustments.
Does anyone have an appropriate wiring diagram (or a link to one) or can they offer any help?
Thanks

Offline civil-ian

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Re: Powered folding door mirrors
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
I've had a similar problem with both of mine over the recent months - I was told by local garage and main dealer that they come as a sealed unit so can't be repaired as such. on the other hand, neither was prepared to even try. hope you get it sorted.

Offline doorslammer

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
Might have known that would be a dealer reply, bring back the good old days when stuff was built to be repaired.
Considering the o/s mirror does NOT auto fold, was auto-fold standard on a 2010 Taumra or is there a way to check if they were fitted to my car (VIN number or something?)
I would be happy just to disable the power fold function then I don't have to keep getting out of the car to reposition the mirror after I've turned on the ignition. I pulled the power mirror fuse but that didn't stop the n/s mirror folding.

Offline civil-ian

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:18:14 AM »
my problem was the motor would run but not fold the mirror and would keep running all the while the car was running.  I tried to find the fuse in the main box in the engine bay without success but when I removed the small fuse in the box inside the car it cut all power to the mirrors. are you sure you have got the correct fuse?

Offline doorslammer

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
...... are you sure you have got the correct fuse?

Yes, it is situated in the fuse box on the passenger side. I've just re-checked and I can't adjust either mirror, so no power, but still the n/s mirror folds when the ignition is on.

Because the o/s mirror has never auto folded I suspect someone has replaced the n/s mirror at some stage with an auto-fold one and for whatever reason it didn't auto fold until last week.

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
It seems unlikely that auto-fold requires a different mirror housing from manual power fold. The only difference in operation is whether the system sends an open/close command by button push or during an ignition control sequence. Also if I read your OP correctly the N/S auto-fold operation is faulty anyway - it is closing the mirror when you switch on the ignition rather than unfolding it.

One possibility could be an electrical fault erroneously sending the close signal to the mirror when the ignition is turned on. That sort of thing probably needs a good auto electrician to fix.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
Given autofold wasn't factory fit (powered mirrors are operated off a button) on gen 2s theres either fault or someone did it themselves at some point in the past and that's now broken.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:01:53 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline doorslammer

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »
I made a temporary fix by disconnecting the n/s mirror. i only had a quick look at the n/s & o/s plugs and they look different which makes me suspect someone has replaced the n/s mirror.
when I get chance I'll have a closer look at the wiring to the mirrors and see if I can either make both mirrors auto-fold or disable the auto-fold on the n/s.
From SteveRB45's reply I suspect it will be disabling the n/s one.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »