Author Topic: Mazda5 handbrake gave on hill and rolled away  (Read 18840 times)

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
Re: Mazda5 handbrake gave on hill and rolled away
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:53:01 AM »
In the current driving test its a minor to lift the handbrake without pressing the button, do it 3 times are its technically a fail
Don't take a test in the new civic then, you're told specifically NOT to use the button whilst engaging the hand brake

Is this just another outdated rule that they ignore?

My sister in law was told, on mini roundabouts to indicate for where you want to exit, so straight on is no indication at all, turn right and you exit while indicating right!  Not in agreement with the highway code at all.

Sorry for the hijack

That's what I was told.. or perhaps its what I do. One thing I never get is why people feel the need to indicate right and then left when they are going straight. Its not like without a right indication no one will give way to you!! Just indicate left when coming off or not at all

Back to the topic, now and again I try to get into the habbit of leaving my car in gear. But the 3rd or 4th time I forget. Clutch down, start, clutch up forgetting it in gear lurch and stall :-[

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline acmp

• Sports Class
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »

That's what I was told.. or perhaps its what I do. One thing I never get is why people feel the need to indicate right and then left when they are going straight. Its not like without a right indication no one will give way to you!! Just indicate left when coming off or not at all

The highway code for Roundabouts (rule 188 says to treat minis the same a proper ones.  No idea why people are being taught (sp?) differently.

As for in parking in gear, I was taught to do this, and even though it's 50/50 if I do leave the car in gear I always start with the clutch down, put it in neutral, off and back on the clutch, then into the gear I want and away.

For hills I give the break an additional pull to make sure, and do try to leave it in gear.

Rule 252 has a 'you should' bit for hills, but this is not much help if you're hill doesn't have a kerb.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »