Author Topic: Mazda5 handbrake gave on hill and rolled away  (Read 17670 times)

Offline angelalynn

• S Class
Mazda5 handbrake gave on hill and rolled away
« on: May 25, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
 My 9 month old car was parked with handbrake on secrurely and it gave way after 30 minutes of being parked.  It rolled away across a steep field gathering speed, luckily no one was in it's way, found it at bottom of field buried in a tree .... It has been with the insurance companies garage for nearly 5 weeks now due to the extent of the damage.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening before or got any suggestions on how to tackle Mazda? ... All suggestions gratefully received! Thanks...

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Mazda5 handbrake gave on hill and rolled away
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
i fink you should have taken it to Mazda 1st so they can inspect it and find the cause of the problem.. will hard do so now because of the garage's work on it.. unless the guys at the garage did their own inspection.. maybe your insurance company can fight the case for you with Mazda?

btw welcome to the forum :)
2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

Offline robsartain

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »
I don`t know about Mazda 5, but there use to be an issue on the old citroen BX.  The handbrake use to be on the front wheels and as the pads and discs cooled down the metal would contract and so the pad wouldn`t be gripping the disc anymore.

I don`t know how steep the hill is but this could be occuring on your rear brakes if they are disc brakes ?

My only advice is stick it in gear and turn the steering wheel towards the kerb so that the kerb acts as a chock for the wheel.   

Offline acmp

• Sports Class
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
+1

The 3's manual says
Before leaving the driver's seat, always put the key or start knob to LOCK position, set the parking break and make sure  the shift lever is in P with an automatic transaxle or in 1 or R with a manual transaxle...
Leaving the driver's seat without putting the ignition switch in LOCK position, setting the parking brake and shift lever is in P with an automatic transaxle or in 1 or R with a manual transaxle is dangerous. Unexpected vehicle movement could occur. This could cause an accident.

Sorry but I don't think you'll get anywhere by blaming Mazda, unless there was a mechanical failure of the brake mechanism, not just cooling and relaxing.

Than said, best of luck.

Offline angelalynn

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »
Thanks for your help and tips,.. have just spoken to garage and they want to give back the car cosmetically repaired but with the handbrake unchecked,.. being a woman I told them straight that I wasn't prepared to accept the car back until it had been sorted and I had it documented to say the same....  Insurance company legal section now involved, after all, that is what I paid my premium for!!

I parked the hire car in the same place as the mazda had made its bid for freedom from yesterday and took your advice to leave in gear and turn wheels in,...  I have a feeling this will be a long winded battle with mazda, shame :(

Thanks for your advice,..

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »
There was a recent issue in an Astra. The dealer\Vauxhall was being picky on how the handbrake was applied. Accusing the driver of not using the handbrake correctly.

Was it:

1) Lifted up allowing the ratchets to click?
2) Was it lifted up with the buttons pushed and released?
  2)b) as 2 but releasing and checking it engages.

Its rubbish really these days road cars should be designed so you don't need intimate understanding of how a ratchet works or worry about discs shrinking when cooling.

But I suppose the fact of the matter is that mass produced stuff if built down to a cost :( I wonder if an electronic handbrake would be better... or worse?

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline robsartain

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »
Currently as the MOT stands, a car must have a mechanical brake... So it has to be cable driven. 

I know this because my rally car has a hydraulic handbrake (fluid driven like your foot brake) which is used for handbrake turns but it failed the MOT as it wasn`t cable driven.  So I had to refit the cables to the car to get it through the MOT even though the hydraulic handbrake works a lot better !!!

So I doubt an electronic one would be allowed.  Good idea though.  You would have thought that a car manfacturer by now would have come up with a device that knows if the keys aren`t in the ignition and the car is moving then apply the brake.  Most cars are muppet proof these days anyway and you have to have your foot on the brake or clutch before you can turn the key anyway, etc...  ;D

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
Honda have recently announced a problem with the handbrake in the new civic - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/HONDA/41529.html we get a little card in every civic hire car at work.

Also Vauxhall in the past few years: http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/cars/reports/safety_and_security/Vauxhall_issues_handbrake_warning_557_123405.jsp

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:29:48 PM »
When I had my Vectra I received a sticker in the post from Vaxhall to stick on my sun visor to instruct how to apply the handbrake!!!!

I have experienced the following though, after parking my Primera on my sloped drive, I came back out to find that it had rolled down due to the cooling of the rear discs, contracting and loosing the grip on the pads.

I always park in gear on banks as well, the one time I didnt that happened.

Not really helpful to the topic, just my experience.
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline nino

• Takara Class
    • Me blog
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
Was it:

1) Lifted up allowing the ratchets to click?
2) Was it lifted up with the buttons pushed and released?
  2)b) as 2 but releasing and checking it engages.

In the current driving test its a minor to lift the handbrake without pressing the button, do it 3 times are its technically a fail
08 Mazda 3 Takara 1.6 Saloon (up the saloon!!!)
My blog: www.nino.me.uk

Offline acmp

• Sports Class
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »
Any resolution to this?

Offline angelalynn

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »
Hi :)

Got the car back from the repairers on Monday, total cost of repairs was £3,245!  Have had car tested by Mazda to see what the problem was, they have said that the car's handbrake will hold and if put forward for an MOT it would pass, so according to them the handbrake is satisfactory.  That still doesn't account for the excess that I have had to pay on my insurance to get the car fixed.  Am in the process of writing a rather scathing letter to head of Mazda customer services to get matter resolved and hopefully get the excess back plus a bit extra for inconvenience of not having my car for nearly 2 months whilst it was backwards and forwards to repairers, who incidentally had to have the car three times to repair all the damage as they kept missing bits and the bits they had done weren't satisfactory,... good old Mazda dealers!  Will keep you posted,.... Many thanks though to everyone who has helped with their advice,.. I now, as a matter of course, park my car with wheels in and car in gear ........ you never know!

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
Hi :)

Got the car back from the repairers on Monday, total cost of repairs was £3,245!  Have had car tested by Mazda to see what the problem was, they have said that the car's handbrake will hold and if put forward for an MOT it would pass, so according to them the handbrake is satisfactory.  That still doesn't account for the excess that I have had to pay on my insurance to get the car fixed.  Am in the process of writing a rather scathing letter to head of Mazda customer services to get matter resolved and hopefully get the excess back plus a bit extra for inconvenience of not having my car for nearly 2 months whilst it was backwards and forwards to repairers, who incidentally had to have the car three times to repair all the damage as they kept missing bits and the bits they had done weren't satisfactory,... good old Mazda dealers!  Will keep you posted,.... Many thanks though to everyone who has helped with their advice,.. I now, as a matter of course, park my car with wheels in and car in gear ........ you never know!

Ask insurance company to get an independent engineers report
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
In the current driving test its a minor to lift the handbrake without pressing the button, do it 3 times are its technically a fail
Don't take a test in the new civic then, you're told specifically NOT to use the button whilst engaging the hand brake

Offline acmp

• Sports Class
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
Don't take a test in the new civic then, you're told specifically NOT to use the button whilst engaging the hand brake

Is this just another outdated rule that they ignore?

My sister in law was told, on mini roundabouts to indicate for where you want to exit, so straight on is no indication at all, turn right and you exit while indicating right!  Not in agreement with the highway code at all.

Sorry for the hijack

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »