Author Topic: I-Stop ??  (Read 863 times)

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2018
I-Stop ??
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
Just got my Mazda3 SportNav, really nice car, just trying to figure out i-stop, is anyone got it figured out ?
From the information i can see, it says its working, it’s giving a fuel saving figure, and  the system is switched on, but the engine doesn’t stop, and a page in the fuel economy app says i stop “not ready” of the three symbols next to it, only the battery is not highlighted, does this mean it’s got to reach a level of charge ?
Any help would be great thanks

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: I-Stop ??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
Just got my Mazda3 SportNav, really nice car, just trying to figure out i-stop, is anyone got it figured out ?
From the information i can see, it says its working, it’s giving a fuel saving figure, and  the system is switched on, but the engine doesn’t stop, and a page in the fuel economy app says i stop “not ready” of the three symbols next to it, only the battery is not highlighted, does this mean it’s got to reach a level of charge ?
Any help would be great thanks

It's essentially a secondary battery, and that means if you do lots of short trips, the iStop system would have chargred up enough to keep working.  It could also be that the previous owner drove that pattern and so the system will need charging by driving around for a decent time/mileage as you would a normal battery.

I don't own a 3 with this system, but I suspect it only activates when its charge is sufficient and also if the car stops (say at the lights, in a queue or at a junction) for long enough AND secondary systems (A/C etc) aren't needing a big electrical draw.

Quite a few people don't like stop-start systems and turn them off (replacing the iStop battery won't be cheap if it fails) - for the 3, you cannot 'permanently' (i.e. until you turn it back on) do this - it defaults back to 'on' (even if it's not charged enough for it to work) every time you turn the engine on, so you have to deactivate it via the dash button each time you use the car if you wanted to.  Annoying, but at least you can.

Offline zoomzoomer

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
Yes the I stop battery does need to have charge before it will work. If you have been having the heater, air conditioning on and heated seats and not doing many miles it may not be charged 3nough to engage. With the warmer weather and using less electrics  you should start to see it working.

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:32:29 PM »
Oh right, ok, sounds right when it’s explained like that, only had it a couple of days, lovely car, but one thing is annoying, when ur navigating to a set destination, it cuts out the music on the drivers side when the voice guidance speaks, which is irritating, I’ve found the slider to turn the voice guidance to zero (I hope) is there any way you can turn voice guidance off completely so it’s doesn’t disturb the radio, music etc ?

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »
The original i-Stop launched in 2009 with the Gen 2 cars used a secondary battery (I have one). As far as I know Mazda dropped that with later models which have only the usual main battery.

Also there is a very long list of parameters checked by the i-Stop system, any one of which will stop it operating. On the original cars any "permanent" fault like a dead i-Stop battery flashes a warning indicator but otherwise there is no indication of what is preventing operation.

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
The original i-Stop launched in 2009 with the Gen 2 cars used a secondary battery (I have one). As far as I know Mazda dropped that with later models which have only the usual main battery.

Also there is a very long list of parameters checked by the i-Stop system, any one of which will stop it operating. On the original cars any "permanent" fault like a dead i-Stop battery flashes a warning indicator but otherwise there is no indication of what is preventing operation.
Ok thanks, sounds like it’s just the amount of electrical energy being used.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
Modern systems use a capacitor not a second battery. You've got to charge the capacitor before the system works, it'll scavenge energy in normal driving until it has enough.

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-eloop/

Our Citroen has a similar system (not my 3 too old) you can help it out by using engine braking rather than the foot brake on the hills to spin the engine a bit faster, it should then take the queue to ramp up the charging rate as the throttle is closed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:20:15 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »
Modern systems use a capacitor not a second battery. You've got to charge the capacitor before the system works, it'll scavenge energy in normal driving until it has enough.

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-eloop/

Our Citroen has a similar system (not my 3 too old) you can help it out by using engine braking rather than the foot brake on the hills to spin the engine a bit faster, it should then take the queue to ramp up the charging rate as the throttle is closed.

Ok, thanks for that, don’t think mine has got that system as it’s not on main menu

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 05:50:26 AM »
If your vehicle is a 2016 as your profile, it will have this system. The example in the link is a 6 but the 3 has it though may not the same displays.

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:37:09 AM »
If your vehicle is a 2016 as your profile, it will have this system. The example in the link is a 6 but the 3 has it though may not the same displays.

It’s got the istop System, I’ve seen that, but i thought the i-eloop System was different because it has regenerative braking ? just got my 3 a few days ago 👍

Offline Alfisto

• Takara Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
I've got a 2016 2.0l sports nav with iStop but I don't think I've got i Eloop. I've had the car 3 years now and the Eloop light has never reared its ugly head as far as I can remember

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »
I've got a 2016 2.0l sports nav with iStop but I don't think I've got i Eloop. I've had the car 3 years now and the Eloop light has never reared its ugly head as far as I can remember

Ok, thanks, have you ever noticed I-stop, stop the engine while waiting at a junction or similar ?

Offline Alfisto

• Takara Class
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
Ok, thanks, have you ever noticed I-stop, stop the engine while waiting at a junction or similar ?

Yes, the engine stops and the i Stop light comes on in green. When it's about to start the i Stop light flashes and then goes off when the engine has started.

If I stall it the i Stop light goes orange. I don't know if the stalling is down to me being clumsy footed or a problem with the i Stop software. I seem to remember there was a dealer upgrade to get rid of the problem but I don't know when it was or if I've got it

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »

Yes, the engine stops and the i Stop light comes on in green. When it's about to start the i Stop light flashes and then goes off when the engine has started.

If I stall it the i Stop light goes orange. I don't know if the stalling is down to me being clumsy footed or a problem with the i Stop software. I seem to remember there was a dealer upgrade to get rid of the problem but I don't know when it was or if I've got it
How often does it stop ? Mines not stopped yet, only had it since last Friday, people have said it’ll work when weather gets warmer and car is not using so much electrical energy, giving the battery chance to charge up enough for the i-stop to work ?
Does yours stop soon after starting from cold ?

Offline Alfisto

• Takara Class
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
How often does it stop ? Mines not stopped yet, only had it since last Friday, people have said it’ll work when weather gets warmer and car is not using so much electrical energy, giving the battery chance to charge up enough for the i-stop to work ?
Does yours stop soon after starting from cold ?

Once it's warmed up it seems to stop every time I stop. Mine seems to operate after about 3 or 4 miles, certainly after the temp getsup i.e. the blue temperature gauge has gone.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »