Author Topic: Am I looking in the wrong places or have the Cheap 3s gone?  (Read 558 times)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Am I looking in the wrong places or have the Cheap 3s gone?
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
As I've posted about in other threads I need a replacement for my 3 before next October.. when my wife takes over my car possibly.

Original plan was to finance something shiny..but I like owning out right so looking at other options. One thought was I'll get a matching pair..sure I'll be able to save up enough for another gen 2 before next gen. Then went looking 6500 quid for an 11 plate Takuya (admittedly lowish miles mine would be more 5500)..A 6 year old venture edition ..that'll be 7900 quid with more miles than my less than 3 year old car had on in 2014. My car was 8400..

You can get a tidy Gen 3 for 7 there's gen 1s up for over 4 grand...makes no sense whatsoever.

I can only assume the arse is falling out of the market for used diesels given most towns are in the planning process of charging 10 to 12.50 a day for pre euro 6 diesels (I've had my letter regards Newcastle) but old petrols are fine that its driving the market up for economical petrol cars.

Ah well..be looking at 2s at this rate..which would go straight to the wife lol

Offline Decker

• TS Class
  • Trim: Sport
Re: Am I looking in the wrong places or have the Cheap 3s gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
When i purchased mine last summer, it was advertised on the forecourt for £6500.  61 reg with 35k on the clock and full history. I originally thought that was steep considering the year, but after looking some more at others,  that appeared to be the norm for Gen 2's of that year with low mileage. Don't regret my purchase at all  ;D

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:38:06 PM »
I've had mine since 2014, still don't regret it but hand is somewhat forced as my wife is coming away from lease cars (why did I agree?  :o).

I see that's where they are now, but what I find bonkers. Is that I bought a similar car to yours 5 years ago with full history, when it was still under original warranty, with 36k on it for 1900 quid more. They've lost less than 500 quid a year at this point, yet you can get a gen 3 with a reasonable mileage (mid 40s) at mid 7s.

I'll probably end up with a gen 3 and gen 2 at this rate as the gen 3s seem to be a better value proposition or possibly 16 plate Mazda 2 which is also available for 7k. I don't particularly fancy buying an S or something with intergalactic miles

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »
Hi Steven how about a gen 4 Mazda 3 has anyone seen any about or are they not out yet?.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 07:10:46 PM »
Official release of gen 4 is next month, hoping to get an invite to have a poke round and drive (I got one for the CX-3 and a few others but didn't show as at the time had no interest in a new car).

I like the look of the gen 4..but that definitely isn't one I'm buying outright although fairly sure it would be in budget on a pcp. The lack of boot and interior space could be an issue. Definitely want to have a go in one though as the interior and dash especially look great.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
Official release of gen 4 is next month, hoping to get an invite to have a poke round and drive (I got one for the CX-3 and a few others but didn't show as at the time had no interest in a new car).

I like the look of the gen 4..but that definitely isn't one I'm buying outright although fairly sure it would be in budget on a pcp. The lack of boot and interior space could be an issue. Definitely want to have a go in one though as the interior and dash especially look great.

Despite some erroneous reports to the contrary, the gen-4's boot space is about the same as the gen-3 and older as regards the hatch, and is actually larger in the fastback (coming later in the year).  The overall dimensions of the hatch are again about the same as each generation before, so I doubt if it'll be that different as regards interior space: it's just that the styling generally (since the gen-3 car) makes the rear headroom less than ideal, and the 3 has never been known for decent legroom in the back - just OK at best.

What I'd be interested to know if you do test drive one is what you think of a) the 'new' (carryover 2.0 with the mild hybrid, not the SCCI) petrol engine and b) the handling and ride comfort with the change from multi-link to twist beam rear suspension.  As I've mentioned before on other threads, even though the carryover 2.0 petrol is essentially the same engine as in the gen-3 car, it's 1.3sec slower to 60 for the manual ( a very slow 10.3sec or so) but oddly only about 10.8sec for the (same TC) auto, whereas the gen-3 car's times was 8.9sec and 10.3sec respectively.

If it's been downgraded to fully achieve the old mpg/emissions using the new WLTP test, then it sounds like the engine isn't exactly much of a goer, rather like when Mazda did the same to the 1.6 petrol for the gen-1's midlife makeover onwards and increased its 0-60 time by 1sec in order to reduce its emissions from 172 to 149 (and thus go two groups down).  Until the (expensive) SCCI engine appears on the scene in the Autumn, not one Mazda3 will be capable of ducking under the 10sec mark for the 0-60 test.  Yes, it's not a great guide to the drive, but given we're not likely going to get the 2.5 N/A or 2.5T and the SCCI cars will be listed at £27k+ (BMW 1-series territory), then I can't see how they can use the 'zoom-zoom' term any more.  To me, they've missed an opportunity here: the gen-4 Mazda3 will be a nice looking but not really sporty car.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
Perhaps they are clearing the way to bring back the MPS.    Now that would be some good looking motor with the engine to make it a competitor.    Bring it on !
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
It's unlikely we'll ever see another MPS, most definitely not the way they are heading.

Tbf even 10 and bit seconds is an improvement on my current 11.8, but I've never been that bothered about actual speed, more whether or not you can have fun extracting it. Given my engine history is 3 x Fiat Fire/SuperFire (between 45 and 86bhp), a Suzuki M15A (100bhp)  then the 1.6 MZR (105 baby yeah!)..I've never actually owned a fast car. Driven a few but I prefer to be able to enjoy the sensation of extracting speed and working with the engine and gearbox as opposed to "bring me the horizon! oh s*** police car.."

Driven fast cars that feel slow as you're not involved in anything...and slow cars that feel turgid for the same reason. The main reason I like the Mazda is although it's slow its willing enough to be fun even if you aren't actually going hugely fast.

Theres a remap place down the road though, so it had crossed my mind to pick up a cheap gen 3 and get it wound up, even a 1.5 can be encouraged to 125bhp with no more than a map. Tbf the 1.5 gen 3 is a match on official figures than a gen 4 even standard.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:41:33 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »
Perhaps they are clearing the way to bring back the MPS.    Now that would be some good looking motor with the engine to make it a competitor.    Bring it on !

Technically they already have the engine for it - the US/Down Under gets the existing 2.5L N/A in the Mazda3 (roughly the same bhp as the new SCCI engine at around 185) and the Mazda CX-5 and 6 I think gets a 2.5T version with about another 100bhp.  Given Mazda UK's preference since 2010 to downgrade their engine lineup, I just can't see an MPS type version of the 3 appearing, especially as Mazda cannot afford to pay the high per car EU fines if their corporate CO2 level goes above the prescribed limit.  Whether the SCCI engine can take a turbo, I'm not sure.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
It's unlikely we'll ever see another MPS, most definitely not the way they are heading.

Tbf even 10 and bit seconds is an improvement on my current 11.8, but I've never been that bothered about actual speed, more whether or not you can have fun extracting it. Given my engine history is 3 x Fiat Fire/SuperFire (between 45 and 86bhp), a Suzuki M15A (100bhp)  then the 1.6 MZR (105 baby yeah!)..I've never actually owned a fast car. Driven a few but I prefer to be able to enjoy the sensation of extracting speed and working with the engine and gearbox as opposed to "bring me the horizon! oh s*** police car.."

Driven fast cars that feel slow as you're not involved in anything...and slow cars that feel turgid for the same reason. The main reason I like the Mazda is although it's slow its willing enough to be fun even if you aren't actually going hugely fast.

Theres a remap place down the road though, so it had crossed my mind to pick up a cheap gen 3 and get it wound up, even a 1.5 can be encouraged to 125bhp with no more than a map. Tbf the 1.5 gen 3 is a match on official figures than a gen 4 even standard.

Bear in mind your car is an older designed 1.6 petrol and the latest is a 2.0, which in theory should give s significant power/torque boost, and yet its barely quicker.  Note also my gen-1 1.6 petrol has a 0-60 time of 11.2sec, a car designed nearly 15 years ago.  Yes, the CO2 figure is vastly higher, but for the new car, at least in the UK, CO2 figures mean nothing now as they are all taxed at the same rate under £40k, after the first year.  Whilst some progress has been made on the mpg front, it's not that much better - I can coax mine to 40.5mpg average, the gen-4 engine can muster around 43 or so.  To me, that doesn't sound like much when taken over a 13-15 year period, especially when the new car is more than 70%+ more expensive than mine.

If it weren't for the engine, I'd have really liked this car.  The SCCI has been delayed, meaning they still are ironing out issues, which means I won't be considering one until at least a year, if not longer, after it arrives in the autumn, so any flaws can be found and hopefully fixed.  Its very high price (£27k+) will also be a turn-off.  I remain to be convinced to part with that sort of level of cash for a new-fangled engine, especially when it puts the car in the same price bracket as ones like the BMW 1 and 2 series with the 1.5T engine, Audi A3 (when they get their 1.5T problems fixed) and the likely more reliable and now decent to look at and drive 2.0 (genuine) hybrid Corolla.  I could even get a Hyundai i30N for that money.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
Got my invite to the Gen 4 launch party...not sure if I can be bothered to go. 27th May will need to book before though.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »