Author Topic: Door activated interior light and some other bits  (Read 817 times)

Offline Jimbee

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Door activated interior light and some other bits
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
Hi all. I have a 2009 Mazda 3 sport. There are a few odd things happening with interior electrics and I would be grateful for any advice (no big deal, just niggles):
1: the driver side door activated interior light on roof console doesn’t work when door is open, but does when I use the manual switch. Passenger side functions as normal.
2. The mini blue LED light on the roof console for low level lighting at night never works
3. I might be imagining it but on the driver heated seat only the back bit gets warm and not the actual seat
Any ideas on how I could fix any or all of these?
Thanks

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
Re: Door activated interior light and some other bits
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid the only one I have any experience of is the issue with the heated seat. Mine used to work normally when I got it - at seven years old - but after a year-and-a-bit of ownership the part that toasts your buttocks stopped working. I've seen a few other posts her and there from Mazda3 owners with the same symptoms. Sadly, I am fairly sure it is a problem with the heating element and not an easy, or cheap, fix. I've not consulted any auto electricians for quotes but I have seen mention of c. £400 on the aforementioned posts on the subject. Apparently it it quite a complex procedure removing and replacing the driver's seat so labour accounts for a good portion of that price.

I'm happy enough just to have my back warmed and am too tight to pay hundreds just to fix the other half. I think my wife values the full heating effect more than I do and the passenger seat is currently fine. My only concern is how much it would affect what somebody is willing to pay when I sell it.

I'm afraid I don't know how the circuitry from the driver's door to the interior light works and I have no experience of the low-level lighting you describe, which I imagine must be a feature of the Sport trim (mine's a TS2).
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline Jimbee

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 05:25:23 PM »
Thank you for you reply. Good to know I wasn’t imagining it!

Offline TopPop

• TS Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
I understand from something I have read that door lights nowadays are activated by a switch built into the door lock.
The days of the buttons that the door pressed against on the door pillar have been superseded by this new system.
Have a look at the Driver and Passenger door locks and see if you can spot anything different, bent or broken etc.

Online StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
Just to confirm yes it is the door lock that sends the door ajar signal.

Tested a while ago : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62qUAgmdcPdbGJSSWlyV2pjRkk/view?usp=drivesdk

But if the passenger side comes on when the drivers door is opened I don't think it's the door switch. All 3 lights should illuminate when any cabin door is opened. Does your door ajar light work on the dash?

I've never had the ambient lighting apart..I imagine you'll find it's a soldered in L.e.d. if you were to disassemble the roof unit. No replacement bulbs are listed, I don't know if its user replaceable. Do your down lighters on the door handles work?

Offline Jimbee

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes the door ajar light on dash works and the down lighters on the doors work too as well as in the footwell. It’s all quite puzzling but i’d better not tinker as I’m very good at making things worse!!

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:06:53 AM »
2. The mini blue LED light on the roof console for low level lighting at night never works

I have the same age car as you and this led recently failed on mine. I took it out and soldered in a new LED, pretty straight forward if you know what you’re doing with a soldering iron. I don’t think I had to change the resistor. I might have some pics if it would be helpful

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:06:53 AM »