Author Topic: Getting a Mazda 3  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Hadfield90

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Getting a Mazda 3
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:56:54 PM »
Hi all,

About to change from a 13 plate golf TDI SE DSG to a 14 plate 2.2 sport nav Mazda 3.

Anything I should be wary of beforehand? Will be first Mazda, it’s has FSH and only 16,000 on the clock.

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
Re: Getting a Mazda 3
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »
As its the sport nav, then are probably wanting to use the inbuilt SatNav. If you wish to keep it unto date (Map updates etc.), then you will need to purchase the map updates and connected services subscription (as the supplied 3 years has run out). You MUST ensure that the fitted SD card is 16 GB as the then standard 8GB card in the 2014 model is not big enough to accept the new updates. Due to the security for the licensing on the SD card, only a dealer can move the licensing from a 8GB SD card to a Mazda supplied 16GB SD card, you can then perform map updates through the Mazda toolbox as normal.

Offline UraniumSnake

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
If its from a dealer ask to have the latest software for the infotainment system to be updated.
It should be part of the service but it seems mine only got done when asked for it. There have been a host of improvements as I remember my 14 plate having lots of crashes and hangups when I first got the car.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
If its from a dealer ask to have the latest software for the infotainment system to be updated.
It should be part of the service but it seems mine only got done when asked for it. There have been a host of improvements as I remember my 14 plate having lots of crashes and hangups when I first got the car.
In contrast to the above, our 65 plate Mazda 3 with the original firmware works flawlessly.  My 15 plate Mazda 6 had a couple of updates but still had a bit of a mind of its own.  I'd leave it alone if it works fine.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »
Hi all,

About to change from a 13 plate golf TDI SE DSG to a 14 plate 2.2 sport nav Mazda 3.

Anything I should be wary of beforehand? Will be first Mazda, it’s has FSH and only 16,000 on the clock.

I would make sure the DPF, EGR have been checked out and the oil has been just changed, given it has done very low mileage.  I would have serious reservations to buying this car if you aren't planning on doing either:

• At least 10k miles made up of mostly long journeys (over 20 miles) and very few short trips from cold, or;
  • Preferably well over 20k miles p.a. of mostly longer trips, to prevent active regens of the DPF, especially if you cannot keep driving until the active regen completes.

Check out the car's history for signs of any DPF-related or oil dilution/high level issues.  Also, check out Honest John's reviews section for more about problems, in the 'Good & Bad' subsection in particular:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/3-2014/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/3-2014/good/

If used in the right way and well maintained, then it should do fine and is a decent performing engine and car.  If your annual mileage isn't that high and does consist of a reasonable amount of short journeys from cold, I'd hedge my bets (assuming you've already commited to buying the car and can't back out/swap to a petrol) and get the oil changed every 6 months, to ensure those engine problems are reduced at the very least.

Note also that the 18in tyres are an unusual (uncommon) size and are NOT cheap - Mazda dealers often charge a ridiculously high £150 each; you should be able to get the same from the better tyre chains for between £115 - £130 fitted.  the usual problems with low profile tyres will be present - more susceptible to damage, not lasting as long, firmer/noiser ride than higher profile ones.

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 07:31:39 PM »
To support what Engineer Andy says, my 2.2D has lived in a city for the last 5 of my 9 years of ownership and so far so good for DPF issues with oil changes every 6k and good use of the throttle pedals full travel where possible!

It’s Monday to Friday is 5 mile commute but my average over 9 years is about 14k a year - I’m hoping it will get to 200k before anything serious happens - been a very reliable car so far, really going to struggle to replace it

Offline Hadfield90

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 10:13:52 PM »
The car is being serviced fully and I will be picking up in the coming days,

My daily commute is 35 miles each way 5 days a week plus a good long drive to the country side at the weekend so hopefully the issues will be kept to a minimum, I have taken out warranty and it does cover the issues mentioned just in case.

In the golf you can hear when the Car is clearing the DPF, is it the same in the Mazda? A deeper sound coming from the engine?

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 12:08:19 AM »
The car is being serviced fully and I will be picking up in the coming days,

My daily commute is 35 miles each way 5 days a week plus a good long drive to the country side at the weekend so hopefully the issues will be kept to a minimum, I have taken out warranty and it does cover the issues mentioned just in case.

In the golf you can hear when the Car is clearing the DPF, is it the same in the Mazda? A deeper sound coming from the engine?

I personally don't know about the sounds when the DPF is actively regenerating (I've not driven a diesel Mazda3, only petrol-engined versions), but supposedly a way of knowing is that when you pull up at your destination, leave the car running, open the driver's door and get a good whiff (don't laugh - it's true!) from under the car, and if you smell burning/feel a great deal of heat coming from underneath, then it's highly likely the DPF is actively regenning.  Not specific to the Mazda diesel engines, it's a general check.

The trick is that if the DPF is actively regenning, then DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OFF, but continue to drive around until it completes - how long that is, well, again it probably depends upon how clogged up the DPF is and when the regen began.  It's one of the failings of DPF-equipped diesel-engined cars unless a sound/rev difference is apparent.  On the Mazda 2.2TD, if you turn the engine off during an active regen, the unburnt diesel used drops into the sump, which dilutes and raises the oil level, and is referenced in that Good & Bad section of Honest John's review for the car (any Mazda with that engine).

Hence why, especially for those using it for short trips from cold, it's a good idea to change the oil every 6 months rather than once a year as per the manufacturer's schedule.  Given your decent mileage, you'll probably find this may not be needed unless you're unlucky enough to forget and repeadly turn the engine off mid active regen.  It'll probably passively regen for the most part (given the decent mileage and longer trips), but it's always worth doing the 'sniff test' before turning the engine off, especially after shorter journeys - some people say most DPF-equipped cars just regen at roughly set distances rather just when actually needed (presumably there's no sensor to tell how clogged it is, and why there's no dashboard indicator to say an active regen is imminent/in progress).

Hopefully other forum members with more diesel ownership experience can help more on the specifics than I can.

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »
A deeper sound coming from the engine?

Yes, it’s very noticible on mine, mpg drops massively and it smells like burning outside

Offline Hadfield90

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »
3 weeks and 1200 miles in and I’m loving the car.

It averaged 2000 miles per annum on its last 2 MOT’s, I have added additives with each tank of fuel (redex dpf cleaner and then the standard fuel system cleaner) was getting about 29 MPG first week because I was driving it properly, 34mpg the second week and now with no additives it’s running nicely at around 44mpg. Dealer agreed to drain and re-add engine pipe just in case so hopefully it will run with minimal issues.

Can anyone advise on the satnav? It had the old sd card in but I want to purchase the updates as it’s still running maps from 2012... toolbox says I’m out of free updates, I’m happy to pay as I can claim costs back through work but will the card I have now, 8GB be sufficient enough or do I need to buy a newer card that isn’t from the stealerships?

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »