Author Topic: Buying Advice Pls ?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2018
Re: Buying Advice Pls ?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »
Seen a few reports of difficulty with gearchange/clutch which seems to be car specific so a decent test drive should eliminate that.

Otherwise I've not seen any mechanical issues on the petrol, main complaints are infotainment related.
What’s wrong with the infotainment system ?

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:06 PM »
Nothing massive, it's just not the slickest of systems. A few people have had them replaced under warranty due to random reboots and crashing. Also even with an up to date subscription the nav can be hit and miss. Some people have difficulty with the wireless hotspot capabilities.

Nothing ridiculous and certainly no reason not to buy one, but definitely have a play with it and see if you get on with it. If you don't an android auto/car play upgrade is available on all models but heading for 300 quid unless you find a car with an out of date system that will allow you to crack it and do it yourself.

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 11:22:27 PM »
Nothing massive, it's just not the slickest of systems. A few people have had them replaced under warranty due to random reboots and crashing. Also even with an up to date subscription the nav can be hit and miss. Some people have difficulty with the wireless hotspot capabilities.

Nothing ridiculous and certainly no reason not to buy one, but definitely have a play with it and see if you get on with it. If you don't an android auto/car play upgrade is available on all models but heading for 300 quid unless you find a car with an out of date system that will allow you to crack it and do it yourself.
Thanks, one of the main reasons for looking for a sportnav was the Bose Audio system, a quick google says the dealer upgrade is available for post 2014 models, I’m looking at a 16 plate model, so I’ll have a play and see how it goes, if it has CarPlay for my iPhone, I’m laughing, what was the gear change/clutch thing? I’m looking for a 25K max example.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 01:31:08 AM »
I've seen a few people say they find the clutch odd or that it's hard to get into certain gears. Again not common place so time driving your prospective purchase should sort that out.

Offline Coypars

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
Hi have placed a deposit  on a 66 plate Mazda 3 2.0 se l automatic have seen a video of car it's soul red and only done just over 2000 miles.Test drive arranged for tomorrow any thing I should look out for?
Any help appreciated.
Regards,Ian.

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Hi have placed a deposit  on a 66 plate Mazda 3 2.0 se l automatic have seen a video of car it's soul red and only done just over 2000 miles.Test drive arranged for tomorrow any thing I should look out for?
Any help appreciated.
Regards,Ian.

I’d find out why it’s only done 2K in its time, and check with Mazda that all its service history is on Mazda’s Digital Service record, you can ring them to check, i have. 👍

Offline Coypars

• S Class
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 03:50:25 PM »
Think it's been a mobility  car and is still under  warranty,so if any problems it will be covered hopefully.

Offline gravy258

• S Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »
I have a 2015 2.0 se-l auto.
With 2000 miles on the clock it won't have much of a service history, oil change is every 12500 miles.

You won't have anything to look out for, test drive it and buy it, my car has done 52000 miles and has never been to a dealer.

If your buying it from a Mazda dealer try and get them to Install Android auto/Carplay as part of the deal.(RRP about £300 installed)
This has uprated USB ports, as the current incumbents won't be enough to charge your phone. It is a very good thing to have.

I use a Android auto hack from Mazda-AIO with google assistant its hands free and nothing beats google maps for traffic (ok-Waze)(your cars up to date software probably won't allow this without a CMU removal and hack)

I have the mazda satnav , it's clunky and has a poor UI. I got mine off ebay for £45, not even worth that. The ebay ones come with three years of updates via Mazda, live traffic is extra still (even with a Mazda SD card) you only get to register one card to your VIN after the three years you need to pay to update. Buying a new card does nothing.

The only issue these cars have is the alloys wheels corrode, you can google this issue. I've just had mine powder coated.

There's lots of Mazda 3 forums for help and there's some amazingly talented people who've worked out some very complex things - like fitting radar cruise control to a Mazda3 with smart city braking.

Offline Coypars

• S Class
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 08:07:01 PM »
Thanks for the info it's an Arnold clark Fiat branch so not much chance of Android auto upgrade as part of the deal.But good to know it can be updated.Yes as you  say can't have much of a service history with that mileage, hopefully  it all goes smoothly.Will report back either way it goes.
Regards, Ian.

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
I have a 2015 2.0 se-l auto.
With 2000 miles on the clock it won't have much of a service history, oil change is every 12500 miles.

You won't have anything to look out for, test drive it and buy it, my car has done 52000 miles and has never been to a dealer.

If your buying it from a Mazda dealer try and get them to Install Android auto/Carplay as part of the deal.(RRP about £300 installed)
This has uprated USB ports, as the current incumbents won't be enough to charge your phone. It is a very good thing to have.

I use a Android auto hack from Mazda-AIO with google assistant its hands free and nothing beats google maps for traffic (ok-Waze)(your cars up to date software probably won't allow this without a CMU removal and hack)

I have the mazda satnav , it's clunky and has a poor UI. I got mine off ebay for £45, not even worth that. The ebay ones come with three years of updates via Mazda, live traffic is extra still (even with a Mazda SD card) you only get to register one card to your VIN after the three years you need to pay to update. Buying a new card does nothing.

The only issue these cars have is the alloys wheels corrode, you can google this issue. I've just had mine powder coated.

There's lots of Mazda 3 forums for help and there's some amazingly talented people who've worked out some very complex things - like fitting radar cruise control to a Mazda3 with smart city braking.

Good piece, but I’d still like to know, even out of curiosity, why a 66 plate car has only done 2K ?
Service intervals are 12 months or mileage, which ever is sooner.

Offline gravy258

• S Class
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
I wouldn't even worry about the service history at this mileage.
Motability cars don't do a lot of miles. My friend bought a car, eight years old ex motability it had done 22,000.

BTW you can buy and fit android auto/carplay and fit it yourself. There on ebay uk from USA about £150. Does need a software update as part of it, which you can do yourself if you follow the Mazda rules.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Apple-CarPlay-and-Android-Auto-Retrofit-Kit-00008FZ34-/192679403436

Fitting a reverse camera yourself is also really easy, cost of £35, this is the feature my missus most likes on the car

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
I wouldn't even worry about the service history at this mileage.
Motability cars don't do a lot of miles. My friend bought a car, eight years old ex motability it had done 22,000.

BTW you can buy and fit android auto/carplay and fit it yourself. There on ebay uk from USA about £150. Does need a software update as part of it, which you can do yourself if you follow the Mazda rules.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Apple-CarPlay-and-Android-Auto-Retrofit-Kit-00008FZ34-/192679403436

Fitting a reverse camera yourself is also really easy, cost of £35, this is the feature my missus most likes on the car
I hope the turns out to be really good, I’m just really careful buying used cars, pls let us know here ?
Mine has a reverse camera, it’s really good, love using it with the parking sensors, i took to the hud on mine Immediately, all cars should have them 👍

Offline Coypars

• S Class
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 07:18:50 PM »
Bought  it tight as a drum as you would expect from a car only done just over 2000 miles.
Can't feel it changing gear it was a mobility  registered  car.Dealer couldn't believe how low mileage was.
Well pleased with how it drives can't hear it at tick over and doors close with a solid clunk,and how heavy is that bonnet or hood it's solid.Checked oil it was clean so back down the road tmrw so will give it a good run out.

Offline gravy258

• S Class
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
You should check what firmware is on the infotainment unit, if it's below 59.00502 the system is still hackable. You can install Android auto, touch screen whilst driving and other hacks via Mazda Aio (Google it) . It just involves picking out what you want, it transferring to a usb stick, put in car, installs. Doesn't affect warranty, and impossible to mess anything up. I've updated the firmware on my infotainment twice now, the last time to get dab radio to display song info

Offline robinhood1701

• TS Class
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
You should check what firmware is on the infotainment unit, if it's below 59.00502 the system is still hackable. You can install Android auto, touch screen whilst driving and other hacks via Mazda Aio (Google it) . It just involves picking out what you want, it transferring to a usb stick, put in car, installs. Doesn't affect warranty, and impossible to mess anything up. I've updated the firmware on my infotainment twice now, the last time to get dab radio to display song info

What’s the latest firmware ? mines 59.00.504

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »