Author Topic: DPF Fluid (PAT Fluid)  (Read 530 times)

Offline DanMX3

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
DPF Fluid (PAT Fluid)
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:36:43 PM »
Hello all, Has anyone changed the PAT fluid in their 1.6 Diesel Mazda 3 mine is 2009 Gen 1. I have only learned of this recently and I have located the reservoir, there is a bottle in boot from previous owner so this is surely a good sign that they were topping it up, having no issues with it, it was during my oil researching that I discovered its importance. My question, is it simply a case of topping it up and is this easy? How do I know it is running low is there a warning icon or something and also is it crucial to re-set the counter then? What is the purpose of the 'Counter'. Hope someone can answer these questions as I can find very little on the net that answer them. Thanks.

Offline audioslaven

• Takara Class
  • Go on an save yourself, take it out on me!!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
Re: DPF Fluid (PAT Fluid)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:24:06 PM »
You need to refill it every 35000 miles. You need to reset the ECU to tell it that it has been refilled. you will get a light on the dash when it is low. I use a OBDII bluetooth device with Forscan (free download) to reset it. The tank is on the back axle similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQXk6Hv-HI

You need the connectors to hook it up to the pipes on the outside of the tank. These come as part of the kit when you buy the fluid. One is the fill and the other is the overflow when the tank is full. I just fill the bottle up, hook up the pipes and let gravity do the rest. Once full disconnect and reset the ecu

Hope this helps

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 04:50:18 PM »
Do you think this still applies to the Gen 2 version? I have a 1.6 diesel second generation model that has done c. 81,000 miles and, as far as I can tell, has never had this fluid replenished. I took ownership at 52k and can't see any mention of this fluid in the four printed service history documents that came with it. It is not the kind of thing the local mechanic I use would have considered topping up as far as I know. Yet I have had no warning lights and the car feels as though it is performing normally. The manual does seem to indicate it should be done every 35.5k miles, so it is a little odd there is no mention of it in the service record around that time. Even if it was done then, it must be sorely in need of a top up by now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:28:10 PM by red_imps_2003 »
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline audioslaven

• Takara Class
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
They used the same engine in the second generation so I would assume you have the same system. if you get under the back axle and see the tank then this needs to be filled.

You should get a light if the tank is empty and a quick google seems to confirm that you do have the fluid for the DPF. You are just over the 75,000 for the refill so maybe you still have enough fluid in the tank at the moment to not get a light.

Offline DanMX3

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
Thanks for reply at least I know now it will alert me as to when the re-fill will be required. I am amazed that my manual does not make any reference to this system being on the car.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:39:55 AM »
Thank you, audioslaven. It does also look as though there may be a magnet device on the fuel filler flap as described in various other postings on this topic elsewhere. I believe this triggers the release of a dose of the fluid each time you open it to fill up.

I don't know whether to wait for the dash light to indicate it is actually empty or whether to top it up as a pre-emptive measure.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline audioslaven

• Takara Class
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 11:26:52 PM »
Thank you, audioslaven. It does also look as though there may be a magnet device on the fuel filler flap as described in various other postings on this topic elsewhere. I believe this triggers the release of a dose of the fluid each time you open it to fill up.

I don't know whether to wait for the dash light to indicate it is actually empty or whether to top it up as a pre-emptive measure.

It measure the fuel before and after as well AFAIK but I did hear about the opening of the fuel flap. Do you see the DPF fluid tank underneath? You can purchase the fluid from Mazda but I got the eloys fluid off Peugeot as they were cheaper. you will get three fills out of it.

Topping it up is straightforward and you prime the injection through the computer and set the ecu that it has been topped up. Personally I would top it up but you can hold out. You can do all this DIY and download forscan with an OBD2 bluetooth adapter.
Your mechanic would be well able to do this so you could speak to him as well.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »
Thank you. I have an OBDii bluetooth dongle (have been using the 'Torque Lite' and 'Car Scanner' Android apps for basic checks). Do you use Forscan as a mobile phone app or is the one through a PC better?

Would I be right in thinking the Mass Airflow Sensor is the one circled in the following image? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yiHJqHBuL5XJsvbv-PPEmT8TlBV_cKFB/view?usp=sharing

Cheers.

Offline audioslaven

• Takara Class
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 12:29:16 AM »
yes that is the mass airflow sensor.

I use forscan on my laptop. I have not used the app. I use an USB OBD2 reader like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
Thank you for confirming about Forscan. Will buy a copy in a bit.

Thank you also for confirming the location of the MAF sensor. That was intended for another thread. Dunno how I managed to place it here.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »