Author Topic: Clearing side windows?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
Clearing side windows?
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
I'd like to know of a way to demist etc the side windows when I lower and raise them?
I remember all my other cars past could do this simply by lowering them etc.
Has anyone attempted this?
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Clearing side windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
Exactly the same discussion is going on over on our sister CX-5 forum.   Yes, a few years ago you could clear the outside of the windows (and sometimes the inside)  simply by lowering the window.
The window channel had a rubber flange which touched the glass and because of the movement of the glass against this rubber strip, it cleaned the glass.

There were two problems with this.  First the repetitive frictional movement up & down on the glass caused scratches and wear marks on the glass, especially if a piece of grit got stuck in there. Look at some of the older cars on the roads and you will see the results of this.   

And secondly, with the increased use of electrically operated windows the resistance caused between the glass and the rubber strip by this "cleaning" action resulted in many electrical motors failing.

In an effort to save costs, manufacturers look to cheaper components. But of course cheaper usually means weaker. Weaker electrical motors in the window raising mechanism means that the resistance factor previously described became too much for the motors to cope with, especially when the windows were dry. 

Simple answer.:  Reducing the size of the rubber strip and make it from a more flexible material, thereby reducing the resistance.  Voila !  a solution.     Now what have we got ?  A rubber strip that still carries out it's primary function i.e an effective water and wind seal, but does not actually clear the glass when the glass moves.

Short answer is, that rubber strip,  (in actual fact it's not even rubber any more) doesn't do what it previously used to regarding clearing the glass.  There have been comments / suggestions that you could physically place your palm on the window and exert some pressure on the glass to make it touch the strip, thereby clearing the outside of the glass. But of course the danger of this is that you are creating a force on the window mechanism, which as a whole it is not designed for. Possibly resulting in both electrical and mechanical failure.

The discussion continues on the CX-5 forum as I'm sure it will here.  But honestly, 2 minutes to use a small squeegee and a cloth before you set off is preferable and most likely affordable in this breakneck speed world.   

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
Good points willpower cheers for the reply.

TBO the air supplied by the fast demister does the job after a while inside.
I guess I'll just keep using my small squeezy for the outside :D
Especially with the ice on them in the mornings.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »
Or..A jug of warm but not hot water.

Instant clearing and warms the glass sufficiently that it won't mist on the inside.

Don't use kettle water though unless you want to shatter the window with thermal shock.

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:58:15 PM »

Instant clearing and warms the glass sufficiently that it won't mist on the inside.

Don't use kettle water though unless you want to shatter the window with thermal shock.

Ha, that's exactly what I've been doing when it's frosty.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »

Indeed - especially (this can happen with just plain old 'hot' tap water) if your windscreen has any dings in it, even repaired ones as they are still a relative weak spot.  Some idiots in the Telegraph (Letters page) have been advocating using boiling water or hairdryers (just as bad).  Gently warming up the window with warm water (no hotter than 40degc [just above body temperature]) is the only safe way.  Car covers are very handy in keeping the roof and windows free of snow and ice.  Well worth the money if you can find a decent quality one.  Even my cheapo one from my old car (a 1990s Micra) still keeps most of my windscreen clear and helps reduce the time needed to get going.

Offline UraniumSnake

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
You can often prevent the frost/snow quite well with just an old bed sheet draped on the windscreen. Tuck a section in each door to stop it blowing away.
Doesn't look as nice as a car cover, but i park off road and don't care what it looks like if it saves me scraping ice every morning.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »