Author Topic: High Mileage BL 2.2 185 - How long do these cars go on for?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Gryphon

• S Class
  • Getting used to an effective right foot
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
High Mileage BL 2.2 185 - How long do these cars go on for?
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
Assuming decent maintenance that is.

My 09 Sport has recently passed 175k. It gets oil and filters every 10k, and apart from needing a new timing chain right after I bought it at around 105k it has been really good to me. I'm reluctant to sell it as it's been too reliable! (plus is worthless with this mileage)

Other than services it's only needed brakes all round, lower engine mount, aux belt and a single droplink. Not bad for 70k.

However, to my knowledge it's still on the original DMF, and the miles are starting to show elsewhere. Front CV's have a decent bit of play in them and could do with replacing, and gearbox synchro's have really seen better days - those combined are starting to make driving smoothly difficult. Suspension all seems in remarkably good condition and the geo is still in spec.

At some point I'm going to need to do the driveshafts, and I've been looking at second hand gearboxes, and if I'm there I might as well do the £££ DMF since it's lasted far longer than it has any right to, and while I'm there and have easy access, might as well show the suspension some love... So I need to work out where to stop that snowball!

I know everything is anecdotal, but I don't want to dump lots of money into the car to have something else catastrophically fail.  Do these engines make it past 200k often? I haven't seen many high milers.

Rust is starting to be an issue, lots of surface rust underneath, nothing structural yet and I've oiled/undersealed lots of it.

Sensible thing is probably to drive it until something expensive breaks and then get a 6 - but I like this car! And we have project cars that can take up the slack if it had to be off the road for a bit - one of them being an NA MX5 that I've just finished a full suspension refresh on :)

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
Re: High Mileage BL 2.2 185 - How long do these cars go on for?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »
Mines at 140k and has a similarly low amount of things replaced except for many many more suspension components. I live in South Yorkshire with notoriously bad roads though and recently one of my wheels has taken a large hit so have some vibration which is probably my biggest issue.I don’t currently have the gearbox issues you mention, clutch seems to have plenty of bite left so I’m hoping to get another couple of years out of it - I’ve been struggling to find anything to consider a worthy replacement! I’ve owned this car since 4k miles and it’s been bullet proof really especially considering it’s a diesel with a dpf and for the past 5 years during the week it  only does 5 mile commutes through rush hour!

Rust, welll I have a 21 year old Bongo so nothing on my 3 is going to worry me anytime soon  :)

Mine will go as soon as service bills go regularly north of £350 or it need a significant single piece of work at about £1k

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »
Actually just remembered adaptive front lighting system has been broken for quite a while so no cornering function on the Xenons, I think this was an option Mazda dropped anyway so I’m just in the same boat as some other mk2 owners

Offline Gryphon

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm very impressed that the DPF has never had any issues, neither has the EGR. It just passed 176k yesterday and inside the exhaust is still clean as a whistle, no soot, never smoked. Not what you expect from a turbo diesel with half that mileage. It gets plenty of long trips for regens though.

I'm torn between expensive preventative maintenance or just seeing what dies next... I haven't found any examples of this engine with this mileage to give an idea of what to expect.

Clutch still feels fine, it would just be stupid not to do the clutch if I end up swapping the gearbox. I'm good at spending too much money on all the 'while I'm there' jobs. Makes sense on project cars, less sense on a high mileage daily.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »
Yeah, I'm very impressed that the DPF has never had any issues, neither has the EGR. It just passed 176k yesterday and inside the exhaust is still clean as a whistle, no soot, never smoked. Not what you expect from a turbo diesel with half that mileage. It gets plenty of long trips for regens though.

I'm torn between expensive preventative maintenance or just seeing what dies next... I haven't found any examples of this engine with this mileage to give an idea of what to expect.

Clutch still feels fine, it would just be stupid not to do the clutch if I end up swapping the gearbox. I'm good at spending too much money on all the 'while I'm there' jobs. Makes sense on project cars, less sense on a high mileage daily.

Despite the many documented problems associated with 'Mazda' diesels, most appear to be related to usage on repeated and predominantly shorter journeys from cold, rather than regular, decent length journeys.  Modern cars like to be used - most of the problems seem to come because it was use for low mileages or not very often (as mine has often been - sticky brakes).  The main wear and tear items on Mazda3s seem to be suspension arms and bushes, and for older cars, rust.

I'd also keep an eye on the following as they could be expensive replacements if they do go wrong:

1. Power steering pump (if its a hydraulic system) - the condition of the fluid may not always be checked (its level will likely be) and a gunked up system can lead to premature wear on the pump and stiffer steering.  To change out the pump will cost around £850 at a main dealer (expensive pump and a long, fiddly job), even more expensive should a leak in the pipes be found as well (+50% at least);

2. Front springs and dampers (note that Mazda have apparently stopped making these for the gen-1 car, even before the 10yr period is up - go for generic/branded replacements);

3. Alloy wheel corrosion (can lead to leaking tyres as well);

4. Loss of A/C system refrigerant or other system issue.

In theory, you should get a decent amount of warning of the four above before they need replacement, and hopefully a good garage should pick up on these things as much as you driving the car, though I wouldn't rely on that, as (from the stories on this site) many seem to wait until something HAS to be replaced before telling the owner about the problem.  Not good if you've just bought a new flashy phone/TV/computer/whatever and can't afford £1k+ to have some cruitial part replaced.

PS. My clutch was fine for a good while and then badly degraded in less than 3 months, meaning it had to be replaced, so if you've owned the car a good while, I'd keep money aside for that replacement (about £650 at a main dealer [not cheap]) and for a couple of other major repairs, just in case two go in short order.  The suspension arms, bushes and brakes aren't that cheap to replace at dealers either, often costing several £000 to replace a pair.  I'd save up/set aside about £2k to cover any eventualities, adding about 3-5% on top per year to account for inflation, then more if something does go to re-build the fund in a few years. I suppose it depends on how long you intend to keep the car and if you're going to keep it in its original state or mod it in some way.

Offline Gryphon

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
Cheers Andy, I hadn't even considered the power steering pump - I've got the electro-hydraulc one.

My suspension is in surprisingly good nick, and while genuine parts from Mazda are stupid prices, the 3 seems pretty well supported after market and I do all the work myself. LUK clutch kit for the 3 is around £210... I paid £500 for the same for my 944 project car (all in that job is over £800 in parts alone), so I'm not going to complain too loudly! Front control arms with bushes and ball joints are £100 per side (Meyle, so should be decent. Can go cheaper if you want to risk it), so that feels like a pretty cheap fix when the time comes.

It looks like if I do replace the axles though, new control arms etc are a definite thing to do at the same time.

I posted this wondering if I was going to get responses along the lines of "these engines tend to die at 200k"... thankfully not. I guess I'll see how long it will go on for :)

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »