Author Topic: Replacing key - can I transpose the electrics?  (Read 701 times)

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Replacing key - can I transpose the electrics?
« on: December 18, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
Neither of my keys springs out particularly convincingly. On a couple of occasions they have failed to open at all (I couldn't even pull them out manually with my nails), leaving me anxious that I would not be able get the car going at all. I've taken both apart and cleaned them with cotton buds and so forth but it feels as though the springs/coil have just about gone in them.

So I bought a replacement fob/case off eBay (this one, specifically - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-MAZDA-2-3-5-6-RX8-MX5-3BTN-Replacement-Remote-Flip-Key-Fob-Case-Blade-UK/283065933032?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649). Having opened my existing two keys I am fairly confident I can just transpose the electrical component in the handle from the official key to the new one so that it opens the locks remotely. I am less certain about the other two parts, though.

1. I appreciate the actual key part needs cutting so it fits into the ignition; can this be done by your normal high street cutters (Timpsons and suchlike)?
2. My understanding is that there is a transponder-type-thing in the smaller section of the casing that needs to be present for the engine to switch on once the key is inserted. Is that correct? If so, is it possible to transfer that from the official key to the replacement?

To be clear, I'm not looking to 'clone' the key (which is what most of the other threads in this forum appear to be concerned with) so I don't think any programming needs to be done. I'm juts wondering whether it is possible to transplant the electrical bits from my old fob to the new one and just pay to have the key part cut.

Cheers.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Replacing key - can I transpose the electrics?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »
What I would do,

1. Remove the blade from the button section of the key as you do when changing the battery.

2. Try and start the car with just the blade, leave the buttons in the house.

3. If it doesn't start result there's no chip in the blade section of the key you can swap it..or it does start and fail...

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll try that when I get home (and have my spare key to hand!!).

Cheers.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »
I'm reasonably sure Timpsons could clone the blade section and program a transponder if required. They did it for a Fiat I had with an immobiliser chip in the key but if it's in the handle section of won't be needed.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »
Well, I haven't made any progress yet in terms of transferring the guts from the 'defective' key to the new shell I bought. However, following advice above I did try to start the car with just the blade and the mount (leaving the main body with the buttons as far away as I could on the other side of the house) and the car still started, so it is fair to assume the transponder is at the base of the blade and will need transposing into the new shell if at all possible (i.e. if it isn't glued in place or something).

The other thing I have discovered is how **cking hard it is to reassemble the head of the key. The flip mechanism appears to be operated by a torsion spring and I cannot for the life of me get the b*stard thing to stay in place. Obviously it needs to be wound up to provide the pressure but of course it springs out as soon as you let go to snap the two sides of the surrounding head back together. Think that may be a job for Timpsons as well.

Will update for others if I make any further progress.

Edit: Looking at a couple of videos on YouTube (not Mazda specific but the mechanism seems virtually identical) I may well be able to fix my existing keys. It seems the tension is actually provided by the coil spring, which I had initially thought was just to push the button back up when you press it. I suspect I just need to re-tighten this spring or perhaps replace with the one from the shell I bought. I'm still at a loss as to what the torsion part is about, though. That doesn't appear in any of the videos I've seen. Maybe it isn't even present in the original. I will practice reassembly with the shell until I am confident enough to minimise the risk of mucking up one of my originals then give it a go and report back.

Further edit. It looks as though all the answers may be at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA2cQnN4VGU - OMFG!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:55:33 AM by red_imps_2003 »

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
This may be a stupid question (I have the handsfree system) but why can't you just leave both your defective remotes with the metal key permanently deployed? If the metal keys are usable in that way it hardly seems worth the trouble of changing over the remote housing. The whole thing is not that large - in fact considerably smaller than the bunch of house keys I keep in a trouser pocket.

Edit: I just looked at the video you linked. If the old keys are usable the way I suggested I know what I would do. Good luck !!!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:02:42 PM by misar »

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
I must admit that does sound a very sensible suggestion. At least it mitigates the immediate issue which is the threat of being unable to drive the vehicle if I'm anywhere but home (i.e. away from the spare key). My last car didn't have a flip key and I'm not sure any of my previous ones have either so I'm not sure why I am so bothered about the mechanism working. I think I just dislike knowing something isn't how it should be.

For what it's worth, the link above contains all the information I need for this particular issue (and for anybody else whose issue with the key is a mechanical one rather than an electrical one).

As it happens, I've been able to reassemble the shell I bought so the key flips out correctly (it only took two attempts) so the first thing to try is taking one of the master keys apart and seeing if I can reassemble that simply substituting the potentially faulty spring with the one from the shell. I can clean up the internals while I am in there in case it has become gunked up.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »