Author Topic: Maintenance  (Read 244 times)

Offline ryan34

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Machine Grey (46G)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2017
Maintenance
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
Hi All,

Thank you admin for letting me in on this forum 😎 I got a 2.0 manual petrol hatchback and I plan to keep this for as long as I can. Can anyone please recommend a good and honest independent mechanic who’s familiar with Mazda3? I am due for first service next month at dealership and it costs 170 gbp.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
Re: Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
Perhaps it would be a good idea to lets us know your approximate location. A good mechanic in  Edinburgh is not much good to you if you live in Exeter.  :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline ryan34

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »
My bad 😅 I live in Basildon. Thanks

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
hi  you may be better to shop around the dealers see who does the best price  for first service.

Offline ryan34

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
I will have the maintenance done at the dealership for the first three years. I’m thinking about the fourth service. I guess I will stay with them if they do well. I’ll take your advice of shopping around dealerships near me for the best price. Thanks. 🍻

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
I will have the maintenance done at the dealership for the first three years. I’m thinking about the fourth service. I guess I will stay with them if they do well. I’ll take your advice of shopping around dealerships near me for the best price. Thanks. 🍻

Have a look on the interweb for reviews of more local indie garages, but take them with a pinch of salt as both unduly positive and negative (i.e. fake) reviews abound - e.g. a business that has lots of 5* and 1* reviews will likely have lots of fake ones, particularly if those 'people' reviewing have only reviewed one business (on a general review website) or are doing so anonymously with very few details about their experience, and what there is tends to be very generalistic (e.g. copy & paste).

I've had this problem looking for an alternative to my local main dealer, who's post-sales customer service (i.e. maintenance and repairs) has been not so good of late.  I'm going to be paying ~£450 for the 'big' 6 year service (actually my car is 13yo [one year I did barely any mielage so had an interim service] and am at the end of its 2nd 6-year service cycle).  The lowest level of service tends to be roughly what you've been quoted for year 1 in the 6-year cycle.  Most come out about £50 or so more than that, one about the £350 mark (not sure if year 3 or 4) and then £450 for the big one in year 6.

Bear in mind that many indie garages will just do a 2 year cycle of intermediate and 'full' services, and may well miss out checking/changing certain parts and fluids.  Some main dealers do provide this type of 'value' service for cars older than 3/4 years, which may be fine, but you need to consider the following:

• The type of car you've got - fortunately, as it's a petrol-engined one, you'll find it's more hardy and reliable (as long as it's kept well oiled with quality oil on schedule) than a diesel, especially if you bought a second-hand car, as its usage history (e.g. whether it was used mainly for short trips from cold, thrashed, etc) can rarely be known to a decent degree;
  • Similarly, what your driving style and usage pattern will be.  Longer trips on faster flowing roads and regular usage will not wear the car anywhere near as much as predominantly short trips from cold.  Brakes can prematurely bind/wear if the car isn't regularly used due to rust and warping caused by it sitting outside in damp, cold conditions (this has affected my car);
  • If you intend to keep the car a REALLY long time, say over 10 years, then, unless you can find a really high quality indie garage who will service/maintain the car to the full manufacturers standards, then it might not last as long, assuming your local main dealer is good (and that sadly isn't guaranteed by any means with Mazda - see the dealer review section for more).  Additionally, if you use a main dealer for all work (bar tyre replacements), then you are far more likely to get goodwill from them and Mazda UK should something major go wrong outside the original 3 year warranty.  They'll hopefully value your business and may save you a great deal should something expensive need replacement that could be argued is a design flaw.  More likely for diesel owners than petrols due to the lower reliability of them;
  • I would ask your local main dealer what their current price list is for the 6 year service cycle and if there are any alternative minor/major service options (and what do both entail on an itemised basis) available.  Occasionally, a service plan can work, but only if the plan is based on the car being serviced every X miles/1 year whichever is the sooner, and not the German-style 'service indicator' method, as those plans are just in years, so for people doing low mileages they are worthless as a 3 year service plan might only amount to 1 service in that period, and you end up paying more than just doing so as the car needs a service.

Offline ryan34

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:16:50 AM »
Thanks for your input. I do the occasional long drives at least once month but mostly it’s just driving to work. Now that I think about it, most likely I will stick to dealership unless they don’t do well then I’ll look around for dealerships close to me. Does our skyactiv petrol has problems with carbon deposits?

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:16:50 AM »