Author Topic: Overlight steering feel  (Read 308 times)

Offline andyl

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2013
Overlight steering feel
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
Had our 2013 2.2 for a few weeks now and although delighted with the car there is one area I'm a little unsure on.

The steering seems especially light when cornering. Ok, my other daily steer is a Suzuki Swift Sport with amazingly feelsome steering but I don't remember my 2005 Mazda 3 being so light.

Is this a feature of the next gen? The only thing I could think of affecting steering feel is the budget tyres that were fitted prior to buying the car. I am about to change them because I would prefer a good brand but is that enough to get rid of the light feel?

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Overlight steering feel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
Had our 2013 2.2 for a few weeks now and although delighted with the car there is one area I'm a little unsure on.

The steering seems especially light when cornering. Ok, my other daily steer is a Suzuki Swift Sport with amazingly feelsome steering but I don't remember my 2005 Mazda 3 being so light.

Is this a feature of the next gen? The only thing I could think of affecting steering feel is the budget tyres that were fitted prior to buying the car. I am about to change them because I would prefer a good brand but is that enough to get rid of the light feel?

It could be that the Swift, like the 2005 Mazda3 (unless yours was a 2.0 ltr model), is a hydraulically-actuated PAS system, whereas the gen-3 Mazda3 has an electrically actuated system only - which tend to be lighter and has (make/model depending) less 'feel' than hydraulic systems.  Besides, like with my 3 of the same era (reg in early 2006, built in late 2005), my PAS has gradually stiffened up, still usable, but not as easy as in the first 6-10 years.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
Swift is electric (had one), don't remember it being particularly amazing in terms of feel but decent enough. But I came to it from a car with hydraulic steering and left it for a car with hydraulic steering and had unassisted cars before that so possibly different goal posts.

Anyway check they haven't pumped the new tyres up to something ridiculous when fitting them as well, if they are far too hard it'll make the steering light.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
Swift is electric (had one), don't remember it being particularly amazing in terms of feel but decent enough. But I came to it from a car with hydraulic steering and left it for a car with hydraulic steering and had unassisted cars before that so possibly different goal posts.

Anyway check they haven't pumped the new tyres up to something ridiculous when fitting them as well, if they are far too hard it'll make the steering light.

Good point - I remember one time on my old car, a mid 90s Micra, that the tyre fitter pumped them up to 36 all around when they only needed to be around the 30-32 mark.

Offline andyl

• Takara Class
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »
Changed the budget front tyres at the weekend for a set of Falkens.

What a difference. I have never had a car before with Chinese tyres on and never will again. Little bit peed off the garage that sold us the car would sell it with such hopeless tyres.

I checked out  the online reviews and the wet weather handling was 32% :(

I can now feel what the front end is doing. Before it fell it felt like I was on ice.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
Changed the budget front tyres at the weekend for a set of Falkens.

What a difference. I have never had a car before with Chinese tyres on and never will again. Little bit peed off the garage that sold us the car would sell it with such hopeless tyres.

I checked out  the online reviews and the wet weather handling was 32% :(

I can now feel what the front end is doing. Before it fell it felt like I was on ice.

Some Chinese designed tyres aren't that bad in terms of grip and noise/comfort, but you pay for that in lifespan because they are very soft compounds.  Other go down the route yours probably did by having a hard compound but they are awful in the wet and, in many people's opinion, downright dangerous even in very mild snowy/icy conditions that most other tyres would be ok.  A former colleague of mine ran expesnive Jags but fitted them with cheapo Chinese tyres - I never understood pay loads out to buy and run those cars, then spend so little on tyres, the only contact between the car and the road.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »
Happened to me when I first got my 3, had 4 factory toyos on when I viewed it. Then when I picked it up, "good news sir, the rear tyres had only 3.5 on them..so we fitted you 2 brand new tyres!".

Landsails Ls388..terrible things they were, didn't wear at all due to being made of granite. When I swapped the remaining Toyos and them for a matching set of Goodyears it was a different car.

Offline andyl

• Takara Class
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
The Chinese tyres were not only feel free in the wet but in the dry also.

Just awful.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
The Chinese tyres were not only feel free in the wet but in the dry also.

Just awful.

They will eventually get better as they learn how to make them more like their more upmarket competitors (after all, the Chinese are [IMHO] very good at 'finding out things'), as they are doing in electronics and now (slowly) with cars.  Still some way to go as yet, and given the safety implications and the per mile value for money, they are to me just not worth the risk.  I'm suprised that some even are allowed to be sold in the EU, given how poorly they fair in tests, especially in wet weather or snow.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »