Author Topic: Is this a genuine OEM battery?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline BenjiRage

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Celestial Blue Mica (38J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Is this a genuine OEM battery?
« on: November 02, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
Hi All, long time lurker first time poster here!

I've been having issues again recently with the i-stop system failing to start in my 3 sport 2011 plate. Just after I got the car a couple of years ago it had both batteries replaced at the local Mazda dealership in Harrogate due to i-stop failure.

From what I've read, the main battery should be an EFB type but I've just looked under the bonnet and the battery that's installed has part number 46B24L which as far as I can tell is a regular wet battery, with no particular branding visible anywhere on it. It's not been changed since the dealership did it in February 2017, have they fitted an incorrect battery?

Offline Alfisto

• Takara Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2016
Re: Is this a genuine OEM battery?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
Do they have 2 batteries then? Where's the other one?

Offline BenjiRage

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
Yeah there's an auxiliary battery next to the main one under the bonnet. I've heard different things about what each battery does, but as far as I know the main battery is always responsible for cranking the engine.

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Gen 2 cars with iStop came with two batteries. The main battery is a normal acid type but the smaller iStop one is EFB.

The greatest load on a car battery is during starting which is usually rather infrequent. With stop start systems the car is often constantly restarting (eg in heavy town traffic). The iStop system reduces the battery drain by using clever mechanicals to assist restarting but it still needs a kick from the starter motor. Hence the second iStop battery is smaller but EFB which can better withstand frequent cycling through a heavy load.

The iStop system has an enormous list of factors which prevent it operating, including the charge state of both of those batteries and the key fob! Some of these - especially the iStop battery condition - also activate the flashing iStop alert.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:43:50 PM by misar »

Offline BenjiRage

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »
Ah ok, I thought the smaller battery just handles the electrical load when the i-stop system has stopped the engine but the large battery is the one that always cranks? But I might be wrong then.

I suspect one or both of them will need replacing again as the i-stop system has failed to restart the engine three times in the past couple of weeks, each time giving a flashing amber light. Running an OBD app shows a "Battery low voltage" fault code. Each time I'll reset the system and trickle charge the batteries which will get it working, but within a few days it'll fail again.

I think they're both still under warranty though (3 years for a genuine Mazda dealer-fitted battery according to this page https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/maintaining/parts/batteries/) so thankfully I should be covered if I take it back in :)

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
That does not sound right. As I mentioned Mazda built in all those precautions to prevent iStop operating at all if something like a flat battery would cause a problem when it tried to restart.

I had the iStop battery replaced under the car warranty after a few months because they fitted faulty (wrong?) ones in the launch batch. The amber iStop warning started flashing as soon as the engine was running and could not be stopped with the on/off button. The dealer fixed it a couple of times with an overnight charge while they waited for batteries from Japan but it was pointless as the fault soon returned. Note that the iStop did not operate even though you cannot manually turn it off while there is a fault, so there was never a problem restarting.

If your iStop is operating and only flashes amber when it fails to do an auto restart that sounds like more than just the battery. If I leave the car parked for a couple of weeks I may have to drive for 30 minutes in traffic while the batteries charge before iStop operates but there is no warning light.

Offline BenjiRage

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
I had the same failure to restart just after I got the car (Nov 2016), I took it in and they replaced the small battery and the system ran fine after that.

Like you, I did also have a flashing amber i-stop light a few times after starting the engine a couple of months later, that's when I took it back in and they replaced the main battery. This hasn't been happening recently though which makes me suspect the smaller battery is the issue. Although thinking about what you've said, it could be the alternator not charging the batteries correctly during operation and my trickle charging them each time after a failure is just masking the issue.

Back to the original question though, do they look like genuine OEM batteries?

Offline BenjiRage

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
So, I called up Mazda UK customer relations today with my battery questions and after querying tech support, they confirmed to me:
  • Yes, my batteries are genuine OEM's,
  • Yes, they do come with a 3 year warranty against manufacturing defects,
  • No, neither of the two batteries should be an EFB type

That last one is interesting as I'd already found conflicting information online using the battery finders on the Yuasa and Varta websites. Yuasa says the main battery (or "starter" battery as they refer to it) should be EFB, Varta says the opposite that the smaller battery should be EFB. Now Mazda tell me, nope neither should be!

At least it all means that yes, I have two genuine, proper spec batteries under warranty. So I've booked it back in at the dealer's for them to take a look at why i-stop keeps failing.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »